26. Rasmus Sandin
  27. Ryan McLeod
  28. Ryan Merkley
  29. Dominik Bokk
  30. Nils Lundqvist
  31. Alexander Alexeyey
The rest of our 7 round mock draft is here:
7 Round 2018 NHL Draft Rankings

Wondering how other people see the first round shaking out? This year has so much variety in rankings.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Getting Tkachuk and Kaut would be a great 1st round for the Sens imo. I also see Bouchard , Quinn and Dobson going higher than Boqvist

Reactions: scoutsystem

scoutsystem

Jan 29, 2018
Canada
trackhockey.wordpress.com
Getting Tkachuk and Kaut would be a great 1st round for the Sens imo. I also see Bouchard , Quinn and Dobson going higher than Boqvist
Interesting, I see Boqvist as having the potential to really change a teams blue line, more so than the others. I find most of the defensemen in the 4 through 10 range, even Ty smith potentially, as being interchangeable depending on what the team drafting them values most.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think Kotkainiemi and Dobson could be swapped for sure. On my site I said I ranked them more based off who I thought had more potential. Kotkainiemi has been one of my favourites all year and with three firsts I could see the Rangers chasing a good centre earlier. Just my opinion though:)

Understood.

Had the Rangers not picked up two centers in the 17 draft I could see that as an option.

But with those two in the fold and a need for offensive depth on the blue line, i think all things being equal they take one of Bouchard or Dobson before a forward.

But a lot can and may change from now until they are on the clock.

scoutsystem

Jan 29, 2018
Canada
Understood.

Had the Rangers not picked up two centers in the 17 draft I could see that as an option.

But with those two in the fold and a need for offensive depth on the blue line, i think all things being equal they take one of Bouchard or Dobson before a forward.

But a lot can and may change from now until they are on the clock.
Fair enough, as I stated on the blog we ranked the players more in regards to who we felt had the most potential and we didn't give too much for team need unless of course they ad a very clear reason for not taking a certain player. The rangers 3 firsts is the primary reason we still felt Merkley could get into the first round, because the Rangers had enough firsts that they could take that flier.

We thought many were interchangeable and so we tiered them like this:

1. Dahlin

2. Svechnikov and Zadina

3. Numbers 4-11

4. 12-17 + Denisenko + Merkley + Thomas (Attitude issues made Merkley drop and Denisenko has the Russian factor that could drive certain teams away unfortunately and Thomas size poses questions on his effectiveness at centre in the NHL)

5. The remainder of the first round + a few 0f the first guys we had in the second were very interchangeable in our opinion (I think most of the players rated 42nd or lower on our list could sneak into the first)

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
i think your list is pretty accurate but a lot will depend on how people see an obviously outstanding goal scorer like Wahlstrom. goal scoring is at a premium and certain teams from about #5 to #9 may be considering taking him over one of the great d-men available so i feel there may be a significant amount of movement in that area.

as an Oiler fan i am hoping Dobson falls to us at #10.

scoutsystem

Jan 29, 2018
Canada
i think your list is pretty accurate but a lot will depend on how people see an obviously outstanding goal scorer like Wahlstrom. goal scoring is at a premium and certain teams from about #5 to #9 may be considering taking him over one of the great d-men available so i feel there may be a significant amount of movement in that area.

as an Oiler fan i am hoping Dobson falls to us at #10.
I agree about Wahlstrom but I can't see there being any outcome where he gets bast the Canucks at the very latest, but I see him going 4, 5 or 6. I'd bet strongly on the Oilers getting one of the great d, probably Dobson. Only way they don't is if there's a faller. I find theres a very clear top 11.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Haha, as I was making it I found it entertaining how well the Bruins did, they had some pretty good luck.

There were a few guys after the 2nd/3rd round picks that I liked as well.

2nd = Durzi, Eggenberger, and Johansson (seemingly went in order after Drury)
3rd = Kurashev, Ranta, Sokolov, and Kotkov (Bruins don't seem to draft Russians though)

Also liked Regula right before Sutter. I'd like for Boston to try and grab a RHD in this draft if possible. They have good NHL depth there, and both their top 4 guys are young, but after them, the best thing they have in the minors is Clifton, who I don't see being an NHLer (full time) but if he does, won't be much more than a bottom pairing guy. Durzi, Johansson and Regula all fit the bill.

scoutsystem

Jan 29, 2018
Canada
There were a few guys after the 2nd/3rd round picks that I liked as well.

2nd = Durzi, Eggenberger, and Johansson (seemingly went in order after Drury)
3rd = Kurashev, Ranta, Sokolov, and Kotkov (Bruins don't seem to draft Russians though)

Also liked Regula right before Sutter. I'd like for Boston to try and grab a RHD in this draft if possible. They have good NHL depth there, and both their top 4 guys are young, but after them, the best thing they have in the minors is Clifton, who I don't see being an NHLer (full time) but if he does, won't be much more than a bottom pairing guy. Durzi, Johansson and Regula all fit the bill.
I wasn't looking much at team need while making this list, it was more potential based however I think this draft is so deep you can't really go wrong in the first 3 rounds. Thanks for the input though its really appreciated and I'm really enjoying reading how people feel about the list.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I wasn't looking much at team need while making this list, it was more potential based however I think this draft is so deep you can't really go wrong in the first 3 rounds. Thanks for the input though its really appreciated and I'm really enjoying reading how people feel about the list.

Even if you didn't look at team need, you did well with the Bruins. Besides RHD, I'd say that center is always a position they could address seeing Bergeron and Krejci are getting up there. Drury and Sutter both are centers, so it would work.

scoutsystem

Jan 29, 2018
Canada
Even if you didn't look at team need, you did well with the Bruins. Besides RHD, I'd say that center is always a position they could address seeing Bergeron and Krejci are getting up there. Drury and Sutter both are centers, so it would work.
Thanks, it's really appreciated. I think Sutter could be a player many people are sleeping on as well, I love his game and I think he'll make for a great 3-4th round pick. This is easily one of my favourite drafts in recent memory just for the depth. I'll be honest, I definitely am not a Bruins fan and yet I love the picks.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

dayner

May 23, 2017
I see Arizona taking wahlstrom as the could really use a #1RW. Then I have Detroit taking Quinn Hughes, local boy and potential star. Then Canucks take Dobson. After that it gets more interesting

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm another Rangers fan who is not that jazzed by this draft. I like Kotkaniemi--have him as 10 on my list but there's no way I take him over Dobson. The Rangers have some very good D prospects now but I don't see any of them as a future legit No. 1. Dobson I could see---so he would be a prime get for us. Rangers drafted Chytil and Lias last year--they acquired Howden--they have center prospects. Would Kotkaniemi turn out better than Chytil?--maybe--but for me those two are kind of equal right now. Bigger need is for the No. 1 D.

Which takes us to the rest of our haul where we're glutting on No. 2, 3 and 4 D's and taking a wild card shot at Merkley when we've already got someone similar in DeAngelo. I would be taking Dobson at 9 and Bokk if he's still available at 26 and at least one other forward with the other three picks we have in the first two rounds.......and we don't really need Skarek at 70. Shesterkin's waiting in the weeds---Georgiev is only 21 and looks like the real deal and Adam Huska might turn into an NHL backup anyway. Goaltending is not a big issue for us and I'd rather not waste earlier round picks on them with our European scouting staff (some of whom are ex-goaltenders) finding undrafted gems for us and then turning them over for Allaire to work with. Works better than drafting Halverson (that was a waste) in the 2nd round IMO.

scoutsystem

Jan 29, 2018
Canada
I'm another Rangers fan who is not that jazzed by this draft. I like Kotkaniemi--have him as 10 on my list but there's no way I take him over Dobson. The Rangers have some very good D prospects now but I don't see any of them as a future legit No. 1. Dobson I could see---so he would be a prime get for us. Rangers drafted Chytil and Lias last year--they acquired Howden--they have center prospects. Would Kotkaniemi turn out better than Chytil?--maybe--but for me those two are kind of equal right now. Bigger need is for the No. 1 D.

Which takes us to the rest of our haul where we're glutting on No. 2, 3 and 4 D's and taking a wild card shot at Merkley when we've already got someone similar in DeAngelo. I would be taking Dobson at 9 and Bokk if he's still available at 26 and at least one other forward with the other three picks we have in the first two rounds.......and we don't really need Skarek at 70. Shesterkin's waiting in the weeds---Georgiev is only 21 and looks like the real deal and Adam Huska might turn into an NHL backup anyway. Goaltending is not a big issue for us and I'd rather not waste earlier round picks on them with our European scouting staff (some of whom are ex-goaltenders) finding undrafted gems for us and then turning them over for Allaire to work with. Works better than drafting Halverson (that was a waste) in the 2nd round IMO.
Thanks for the input, I see where you’re coming from and it’s appreciated, like I stated I was more going based off potential and if it was a tossup I turned to needs.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Thanks for the input, I see where you’re coming from and it’s appreciated, like I stated I was more going based off potential and if it was a tossup I turned to needs.

It's not like Kotkaniemi or Merkley couldn't happen I just think there's a greater need on the one hand and some redundancy on the other. I don't think Skarek will happen though. I like Sandin where you have him and I'm intrigued by Bahl even if IMO that's a little early for him.

scoutsystem

Jan 29, 2018
Canada
It's not like Kotkaniemi or Merkley couldn't happen I just think there's a greater need on the one hand and some redundancy on the other. I don't think Skarek will happen though. I like Sandin where you have him and I'm intrigued by Bahl even if IMO that's a little early for him.
I definitely think Merkley is a pick to be cautious with and the reason he made the first round was one of the situations where the team made me let him in, only since the rangers had 3 first. Nils Lundqvist might be a better pick if they are afraid of Merkley and want another D. I think Tychonik would be a great pick up for them at 39 though. Bahl is another intriguing prospect and he's a very mean D to the puck movers earlier on, Ylonen would make for another good pick in that spot. If you don't like a goalie then Nordgren might make for a good pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad