2018 MLB Regular Season Thread - Part 5

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I remember a time not that long ago when guys like Larry Walker, John Olerud and a couple of others made serious bids to hit .400 for the year. The way things are going, it won't be long before we are asking when are we going to see the next .300 hitter.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I remember a time not that long ago when guys like Larry Walker, John Olerud and a couple of others made serious bids to hit .400 for the year. The way things are going, it won't be long before we are asking when are we going to see the next .300 hitter.

Crazy, isn't it?

Are hitters just getting worse, or is pitching that much better?

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Crazy, isn't it?

Are hitters just getting worse, or is pitching that much better?

I think it's a combination of things. I don't think hitters are worse per se, but they definitely have little to no plate discipline. Also, in order to hit for average, you have to hit singles and doubles, but everyone goes up swinging for the fences at every plate appearance. All that does is result in a kajillion strike outs and kills your BA.

As for pitching there's no doubt it's better. I mean I have watched quite a bit of both games today and am asking myself, does a major league hitter ever face a pitcher that isn't throwing 97+ mph? I mean most starters rarely go more than 6 innings now, and they are still throwing in the mid to upper nineties when they come out of the game, and then it's just one flame throwing reliever after another. As a hitter you never face a guy that throws a 90 mph fastball anymore. You toss in the fact that most of these guys will throw 97+ and then come back at you with an 84 or 85 mph change up, and it's a wonder these guys can get a hit at all.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Hitters probably have better plate discipline than ever before on average. But it doesn't matter overall because they won't swing for anything other than a 'good' ball. So you get more players who primarily hit a multi-base hit, strike out or walk.

What you rarely see anymore is the aggressive contact-every-at-bat singles hitter. In part because the shift has made that approach pretty hard to pull off, but also because management teams have noticed that the best case outcome of a single is often enough not worth the risk of hitting into a double play or a quick out. Also, technique improvements mean that the guys who would be really good at that type of game can now often generate sufficient power to not be that type of player. Mookie Betts now hits 30+ HRs and 40+ doubles, if he plays in the 80s he probably goes for like 10 homers but hits .370+. Of course, his BA is still very good so maybe this doom and gloom is a little exaggerated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad