2018 MLB Regular Season Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
i believe for a day the A's led the AL West

No, the best they did was tie Houston as I said above. Houston had a 2-game lead on Aug 15, then dropped the first two games in Oakland. Then they won the finale to go back up one game, then they lost in Seattle the next night (the 20th) and Oakland tied them again.

But then Houston got Altuve back, among others, and won six straight and 14 of 17 (including a series win over Oakland) and pulled back ahead with a 2-4 game margin.

Oakland was very good, Houston was just a little better.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The A's record against Houston and the AL West in general are definitely why they'll be playing in New York next Wednesday.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Joe Sheehan sent this out in his newsletter today, it makes total sense but still is kind of stunning. Most strikeouts by a reliever in a team season, all time.

Rays 2018 722
Yankees 2018 717
Padres 2018 694
Brewers 2018 673
I think that directly coorelates with the facts that striking out is more accepted than before by the game and relievers getting more innings than they used to.

Only 7 starters have thrown at least 200 innings this year.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
I think that directly coorelates with the facts that striking out is more accepted than before by the game and relievers getting more innings than they used to.

Only 7 starters have thrown at least 200 innings this year.

Yeah, it’s both of the major trends in baseball (fewer starter innings and more Ks) working together. It feels like a record that’s going to get broken four times every year for a bit longer before anything changes.

Reactions: Clowe Me

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
It will be interesting to see what the Phillies do this winter because they have the money to outbid everyone for Harper and Machado if they feel like it. I’m completely unimpressed with their existing core though.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
And speaking of deGrom and strikeouts, he just got some new company in the record books. German Marquez just tied the major league record by striking out the first 8 Phillies to face him (a record that deGrom shares).

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
What a cap to an unbelievable season for deGrom. Just got his 1000th career K tonight too.

It's too bad the Mets were awful this year, but at least he'll still take home some hardware.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Cardinals base runner trips rounding 3rd on a throwing error at 1st and gets thrown out at home to end the inning. Would have been the tying run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad