Prospect Info: 2018 Minnesota Wild Prospect Ranking - #4

Wild Prospect Ranking - #4

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Sokolov vs Seeler is really just how you value the term "prospect" I go overall potential which is why I voted Sokolov, but if you are going closest to making an impact and actually being an NHL player it's easy to see why people like Seeler as he looks like he could potentially be a player as soon as next year.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Sokolov vs Seeler is really just how you value the term "prospect" I go overall potential which is why I voted Sokolov, but if you are going closest to making an impact and actually being an NHL player it's easy to see why people like Seeler as he looks like he could potentially be a player as soon as next year.
I view it as a combination of the two, not one or the other.

I see Seeler as a cheap mid pair defender sooner rather than later. Sokolov, I'm not even sure if we have an NHL player yet at all... his bust potential is still that high.

How much "long term" can we really expect out of a guy who is just breaking in at 25 years old?
If Jared Spurgeon was facing the same defensive lineup ahead of him when he was coming through the ranks that Seeler is facing, Spurgeon would have likely be facing his first full NHL season at the same age as Seeler is now.

Defenders take time to develop, and if you have a good defensive lineup, it makes for less chances for opportunity for the less touted prospects to show their mettle.

Seeler finally got his opportunity and he ran with it after it became clear that neither Reilly or Olofsson were able to get it done, and injury demanded we needed someone.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I view it as a combination of the two, not one or the other.

I see Seeler as a cheap mid pair defender sooner rather than later. Sokolov, I'm not even sure if we have an NHL player yet at all... his bust potential is still that high.

If Jared Spurgeon was facing the same defensive lineup ahead of him when he was coming through the ranks that Seeler is facing, Spurgeon would have likely be facing his first full NHL season at the same age as Seeler is now.

Defenders take time to develop, and if you have a good defensive lineup, it makes for less chances for opportunity for the less touted prospects to show their mettle.

Seeler finally got his opportunity and he ran with it after it became clear that neither Reilly or Olofsson were able to get it done, and injury demanded we needed someone.
Jared Spurgeon broke into the NHL at 20-21 and instantly became a top 4 level player. Nick Seeler is older than Jonas Brodin. I love the kids game, but calling him a 2nd pair Dman is silly, and expecting him to show a lot of improvement from what he is currently, is not a good idea.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
How much "long term" can we really expect out of a guy who is just breaking in at 25 years old?
3 years for now, no reason he can't play into his 30's if he can stick. How old do you think Sokolov will be if he ever makes the NHL? Not only does he need a lot of work while also being a guy that scouts say doesn't have the commitment level, but he's already behind Granlund, Zucker, Nino, Coyle, Greenway, Kunin, and Kaprizov on the depth chart for wingers. I don't see him being an NHL regular until closer to his mid 20's at best, just like Seeler.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
3 years for now, no reason he can't play into his 30's if he can stick. How old do you think Sokolov will be if he ever makes the NHL? Not only does he need a lot of work while also being a guy that scouts say doesn't have the commitment level, but he's already behind Granlund, Zucker, Nino, Coyle, Greenway, Kunin, and Kaprizov on the depth chart for wingers. I don't see him being an NHL regular until closer to his mid 20's at best, just like Seeler.
Sokolov will be in the NHL by 22 if he gets it figured out.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sokolov led the OHL in goal scoring last year with 50.

Was second in goal scoring the year before with 48.

A player like that gives us a puncher's chance, and I think a coach like Boudreau is the right guy to bring him along. Yeo would've had him work on shot blocking.
As I said earlier, I love a sound defensive game, because it always keeps you in the game, but....goalz...

A team is made up of all different types of players. Grinders, speedsters, playmakers, fighters( not necessarily punchers, but guys who battle). Of them all, with the possible exception of goalie, scoring goals is the most treasured skill, and the most hard to find.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
Jared Spurgeon broke into the NHL at 20-21 and instantly became a top 4 level player. Nick Seeler is older than Jonas Brodin. I love the kids game, but calling him a 2nd pair Dman is silly, and expecting him to show a lot of improvement from what he is currently, is not a good idea.

For the sake of objectivity, he's been staring up at a lineup consisting of Suter, Spurgeon, Scandella, Dumba and Brodin for much of his tenure as a professional. And when a spot opened for him, he handled it well. There's a difference bewtween "not being good enough" and "not being good enough compared to a top D group". This might just be about the merits of developing a player in the minors vs doing so with third pairing minutes. I see him as a guy that would benefit more from the former, but that's just my opinion.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
For the sake of objectivity, he's been staring up at a lineup consisting of Suter, Spurgeon, Scandella, Dumba and Brodin for much of his tenure as a professional. And when a spot opened for him, he handled it well. There's a difference bewtween "not being good enough" and "not being good enough compared to a top D group". This might just be about the merits of developing a player in the minors vs doing so with third pairing minutes. I see him as a guy that would benefit more from the former, but that's just my opinion.
Seeler didn't even turn pro until the 16-17 season. He has just over 100 games played in Iowa, let's not act like he's been biding his time for years just waiting for a shot.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Jared Spurgeon wouldn't have broken in on this roster at the same age as a cast off unsigned 6th rounder from the Islanders if he was trying to break in now instead of when he did is my point.

Now we have one ofthe best defensive groups in the league... when Spurgeon broke in, we were not even remotely close to even top half of the league.
Seeler didn't even turn pro until the 16-17 season. He has just over 100 games played in Iowa, let's not act like he's been biding his time for years just waiting for a shot.
In that same time Mike Reilly also had a little over 100 games in Iowa, and 84 games in the NHL, he was getting many a chance. Olofsson also over 100 games in Iowa and 56 games in the NHL.

Seeler has 22 NHL games.

Who was being given the shot? Certainly wasn't Seeler over two years while Reilly and Olofsson got repeated chances and repeated failures.

Seeler got one chance, and instantly showed he's better than both that were getting opportunities ahead of him.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Jared Spurgeon wouldn't have broken in on this roster at the same age as a cast off unsigned 6th rounder from the Islanders if he was trying to break in now instead of when he did is my point.

Now we have one ofthe best defensive groups in the league... when Spurgeon broke in, we were not even remotely close to even top half of the league.
The Wild started last season with Olofsson, Reilly, and Quincey on the roster. RyanMurphy played 21 games and Nate Prosser played 56. 21 year old Jared Spurgeon wouldn't have been in Iowa for long, if he even would've been there at all.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The Wild started last season with Olofsson, Reilly, and Quincey on the roster. RyanMurphy played 21 games and Nate Prosser played 56. 21 year old Jared Spurgeon wouldn't have been in Iowa for long, if he even would've been there at all.
Yes he would have been, because he wouldn't have been the highly touted prospect that would get the priority looks. He would have had to wait two seasons minimum to get a look.

Earliest he would have gotten a chance on a roster like we have now, and the supposed high rating that both Olofsson and Reilly would have had ahead of him... 23yrso.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yes he would have been, because he wouldn't have been the highly touted prospect that would get the priority looks. He would have had to wait two seasons minimum to get a look.

Earliest he would have gotten a chance on a roster like we have now, and the supposed high rating that both Olofsson and Reilly would have had ahead of him... 23yrso.
You're saying that Spurgeon would spend 2+ years in Iowa? That's just a brutal take. How long did Murphy spend in Iowa before his callup? How long did it take for them to claim Prosser?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You're saying that Spurgeon would spend 2+ years in Iowa? That's just a brutal take. How long did Murphy spend in Iowa before his callup? How long did it take for them to claim Prosser?
Considering Spurgeon would have been coming in as an unknown low end castoffs? Yes.

Murphy was once highly touted and had previous NHL experience. Prosser was a known entity.

Seeler was getting nothing but rave reviews his entire time in Iowa, yet all those others got looks before him because he wasn't expected to become much of a player... same as Spurgeon when he was brought in.

Incoming perception has a greater affect than you are giving credit for.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Considering Spurgeon would have been coming in as an unknown low end castoffs? Yes.

Murphy was once highly touted and had previous NHL experience. Prosser was a known entity.

Seeler was getting nothing but rave reviews his entire time in Iowa, yet all those others got looks before him because he wasn't expected to become much of a player... same as Spurgeon when he was brought in.

Incoming perception has a greater affect than you are giving credit for.

But it's not even close to the level that you're taking it to. 20 year old Spurgeon would've been the best player in Iowa last year. That's not even debatable. You're seriously going to argue that he would have to spend 2+ seasons doing that before getting a chance with the Wild? That's ridiculous.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
But it's not even close to the level that you're taking it to. 20 year old Spurgeon would've been the best player in Iowa last year. That's not even debatable. You're seriously going to argue that he would have to spend 2+ seasons doing that before getting a chance with the Wild? That's ridiculous.
We'll have to agree to disagree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad