Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Hello all, I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards.

Rankings:

1. Timothy Liljegren -- 78.7%

Rasmus Sandin
Dmytro Timashov
Sean Durzi
Andreas Johnson
Justin Holl
Jeremy Bracco
Yegor Korshkov
Carl Grundstrom
Eemeli Rasanen
Joseph Woll
Adam Brooks
Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
Calle Rosen
Pierre Engvall
Trevor Moore

Frederik Gauthier
Dakota Joshua
Martins Dzierkals
Jesper Lindgren
Kasimir Kaskisuo
JD Greenway
Nikolai Chebykin
Vladimir Bobylev
Andrew Nielsen
Ian Scott
Vladislav Kara
Fedor Gordeev
Ryan McGregor
Ryan O'Connell
Riley Stotts
Mac Hollowell
Filip Kral
Pontus Holmberg
Zach Bouthillier
Semyon Kizimov
Miro Aaltonen
Igor Ozhiganov
Mason Marchment

Suggest who I should add next. :D

Last edited:

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Are we still considering Johnsson as a prospect or is he pretty much a full-time Leaf? If we consider him as taking a full time spot then I wouldn't include him on this list, and would give the #2 spot to Grundström. I'm not gonna vote yet. Can someone please advise.

Thanks.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I'm still wondering why Josh Kestner, Derian Plouffe, Brady Ferguson Scott Pooley and Matt Bradley are being excluded from this list. They have all signed actual contracts with the organization and all are 1-4 years younger than Holl.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I'm still wondering why Josh Kestner, Derian Plouffe, Brady Ferguson Scott Pooley and Matt Bradley are being excluded from this list. They have all signed actual contracts with the organization and all are 1-4 years younger than Holl.

Im sure they'll be added as the list continues.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

does it really matter, do you believe they are cracking the top 30? so one guy is 1 year younger than holl. holl has played in the NHL he played a couple of AHL games. Those guys are very likely nothing ECHL/AHL tweeners until they do something why would we need them on the list where there are guys who have done something?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Johnsson or Grundstrom here.

Anyone up to convince me one-way or the other?
That's what i asked in my post, but no one yet to reply. Johnsson is still on the list though, so if anything i'll vote him second, especially with the amount of votes he got for #1 ranking too.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
That's what i asked in my post, but no one yet to reply. Johnsson is still on the list though, so if anything i'll vote him second, especially with the amount of votes he got for #1 ranking too.

Johnsson is technically a "prospect" due to his Calder eligibility. Although he's most likely a "full-time Leaf" come October, he's still technically a prospect until he's either play 6+ games in multiple seasons or over 25 games in a season.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Sandin is next for me. A top 4 defencemen is better than a top 6 winger. Definitely can see why people would opt for Johnsson here though. Johnsson is a safer bet.

But yeah I probably would have left Johnsson off if Dermott wasn’t going to be included.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
How Swede it is!!

Top 2 picks are Swedish so far, i see #3 going to Sandin (top 4 D), and then Grundström in the 4th spot.

Wonder if we can get a Top 5 consisting of Swedes...should be interesting.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
No one is catching Johnsson now, might as well just save your Grundstrom pick for round 3

I went back a couple years, and started looking at their draft-1, draft, draft+1, and draft+2 seasons.

It's crazy to really think about the steps Johnsson has taken as a 7th round pick, to get to where he is. Here's a chart of their respective PPG:

(Only using leagues they played more than 10 games in)

Draft -1DraftDraft +1Draft +2Draft +3 Draft +4Draft +5
Andreas Johnsson0.76 (SuperElit)1.29 (SuperElit)0.55 (SHL)0.64 (SHL)0.85 (SHL)0.63 (AHL)1.0 (AHL)
0.33 (NHL)
Carl Grundstrom1.33 (SuperElit)
0.21 (SHL)
0.33 (SHL)0.44 (SHL)0.69 (SHL)
?​
?​
?​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So far Grundstrom is tracking pretty well to be as good as Johnsson, but will almost assuredly take two seasons less before grabbing a full-time spot on our NHL roster. Much younger, and we don't know his development trajectory as well. Looking to be great though based on what I saw in the Calder Cup.

Johnsson is NHL-ready now, and looking to have just as good a ceiling as Grundstrom. Gotta go with him for now.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I went back a couple years, and started looking at their draft-1, draft, draft+1, and draft+2 seasons.

It's crazy to really think about the steps Johnsson has taken as a 7th round pick, to get to where he is. Here's a chart of their respective PPG:

Andreas Johnsson0.76 (SuperElit)1.29 (SuperElit)0.55 (SHL)0.64 (SHL)0.85 (SHL)0.63 (AHL)1.0 (AHL)
0.33 (NHL)
0.21 (SHL)
?​
?​
?​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So far Grundstrom is tracking pretty well to be as good as Johnsson, but will almost assuredly take two seasons less before grabbing a full-time spot on our NHL roster. Much younger, and we don't know his development trajectory as well. Looking to be great though based on what I saw in the Calder Cup.

Johnsson is NHL-ready now, and looking to have just as good a ceiling as Grundstrom. Gotta go with him for now.
Interesting comparison. Thanks. Really excited for Grundström. Been waiting on him for so long. Can't wait till he's ready!

Reactions: Morgs

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Are we still considering Johnsson as a prospect or is he pretty much a full-time Leaf? If we consider him as taking a full time spot then I wouldn't include him on this list, and would give the #2 spot to Grundström. I'm not gonna vote yet. Can someone please advise.

Thanks.

he hasn't played as a full time leaf yet so why is he considered 1? he's played 9 regular season games, and ended his year in the AHL. I know people think he's guaranteed things but the reality is he's not. he'a going to need to earn a top 9 role on this team.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

0.33 (NHL)
0.21 (SHL)
?​
?​
?​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The pre-draft PPG is tricky to compare (other than being in different leagues) because of Johnsson's undiagnosed asthma at the time. I think Grundstrom tracks better at the same ages, but he's also closer to his ceiling (at least in terms of physical ability).

Reactions: Morgs

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
he hasn't played as a full time leaf yet so why is he considered 1? he's played 9 regular season games, and ended his year in the AHL. I know people think he's guaranteed things but the reality is he's not. he'a going to need to earn a top 9 role on this team.
Yes exactly. @Morgs explained this to me earlier. I ended up going with AJ as #2.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I agree, the only minor gripe I have is him and Dermott had very similar years in the fact that once they got called up to the Leafs they stuck in the lineup until they were eliminated from the playoffs.

Then both were sent back to the Marlies for their run. Dermott did play more NHL games, but really they’re both sure NHL’ers next season. So I think it would have been better to either have both on the list or neither. As they’re both really in the same spot as players and the last games either played were in the AHL.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County

Aren't all these players just Marlies contracts and not technically Leafs property? Besides, not a single one of them will crack the top 30 anyways.

Thanks.

Johnsson is Calder eligible, making him eligible for the polls. Someone like Dermott is no longer Calder eligible so no polls.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Aren't all these players just Marlies contracts and not technically Leafs property? Besides, not a single one of them will crack the top 30 anyways.

Johnsson is Calder eligible, making him eligible for the polls. Someone like Dermott is no longer Calder eligible so no polls.
Thanks, going by Calder eligibility is probably the right way to go about it. Clears things up for me! Thanks for doing the polls!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad