Kevin Rooney
Akira Schmid
Gilles Senn
Colton White

Added Chainey

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Zetterlund for me. A few guys are pretty close but there's still a clear margin for me between him and the others.

Add Gignac

Reactions: Darkauron

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
@ek93 @ZekeA

need your input here - debating currently with @Triumph over the concept that Bing players are (biasedly) ranked much lower than NCAA/CHL prospects, due to Bing's shitty season this past year.

but specifically Mackenzie Blackwood. does he deserve to be behind said NCAA/CHL players? or is he as terrible as Triumph says, and deserves to be below even 4th round picks

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Speers for me here.

He had a rough past season but I don’t see what Zetterlund has done that surpasses what Speers did.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Speers had a really bad year again this year. He has not shown much to be rated over any other players imo. The Fab seems like he will be better imo

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't think there's much difference between any of the skaters right now. I said Bastian but really it could be anyone at this point - Zetterlund had an okay year, but it's very hard to talk about 18-20 year olds playing in men's leagues where none of them have even decent results.

Talvitie had the opposite problem, he beat up on a league where future NHLers seldom play.

A year will go by and the choice will look obvious, but at this juncture it's not obvious at all.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
@ek93 @ZekeA

need your input here - debating currently with @Triumph over the concept that Bing players are (biasedly) ranked much lower than NCAA/CHL prospects, due to Bing's ****ty season this past year.

but specifically Mackenzie Blackwood. does he deserve to be behind said NCAA/CHL players? or is he as terrible as Triumph says, and deserves to be below even 4th round picks
I might be the wrong guy to ask, since I really dislike Blackwood from an on-ice standpoint, so I feel I might have some bias when I say that he was pretty bad all year.

With that being said, the team around him was horrible. The massive drop-off in MBW's numbers from Albany in 2016-17 to Bingo last year would help your case I think. In my mind, there's really no other conceivable way a player would drop off that much on his own. He also looked very good in the ECHL playoffs, so for those reasons, I'm willing to give him another chance next year before I really lose hope.

I do think that a lot of the prospects would be rated higher if the supporting cast in Binghamton was good, or even decent. A lot of the stat lines from last season are extremely underwhelming and I do think a lot of it had to do with how bad the rest of the team was, so I would definitely agree with you there. Most nights the team was borderline unwatchable, but it is absolutely not because the prospects lack talent. I am still holding out hope that we can add some late veteran scoring down here to help the young guns along the way this season.

In addition, it seemed like guys were being thrown all over the lineup on any given night. One player who I can't remember (I think Speers) got juggled around the lineup so much in the latter part of the season that it's no wonder he couldn't develop any chemistry with anybody when he was playing with two different guys every night.

In general, last year was just a mess down here, and yes, I do believe a lot of it had to do with how bad the team was in general. If you put some of our prospects on the Toronto Marlies, you would have a lot of different results.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Well, what has Speers done? It's really hard to compare CHL production to overseas.

Good but not great OHL production. Made the Devils out of training camp although he looked really out of place. Made the Canada WJC team.

Zetterlund's numbers overseas to date are not much different than what Speers accomplished in that same timeframe, in my opinion.

I see the argument for Zetterlund over Speers, but I think Speers is getting unfairly treated for a poor Binghamton team. Speers also played that utility forward role in Binghamton moving around in multiple positions on multiple lines in different roles all year which isn't easy especially on a bad team.

No that’s actually easy. Being great in an overseas men’s league is more impressive than actual NHL success.

Playing a fourth line role and scoring 3 goals and 4 assists in 35 games is hardly 'being great in an overseas men's league.' Boqvist has an argument for that, but Zetterlund hasn't done much to stand out aside from being ripped in Devils media videos. Not that it's a bad thing though, but he's merely just been on the path you would expect so far.

Reactions: OmNomNom

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Good but not great OHL production. Made the Devils out of training camp although he looked really out of place. Made the Canada WJC team.

Zetterlund's numbers overseas to date are not much different than what Speers accomplished in that same timeframe.

Playing a fourth line role and scoring 3 goals and 4 assists in 35 games is hardly 'being great in an overseas men's league.' Boqvist has an argument for that, but Zetterlund hasn't done much to stand out aside from being ripped in Devils media videos. Not that it's a bad thing though, but he's merely just been on the path you would expect so far.

I was making a snarky comment about the Nucks/Sweden fans who went on and on last season about how Pettersson’s record setting season in Sweden was justification for him going first overall in a redraft ahead of Nico despite Nico actually succeeding in a first line role in NJ. Not sure why that bothered me so much but I probably should have been clear in my prior post. I realize Zetterlund had a nice season but nothing earth shaking.

Reactions: Darkauron

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The thing is the AHL guys legit did have a bad year, and in a ranking like this you have to take that into consideration. I mean how could you not?

That doesn’t mean all those AHL prospects are doomed, and the younger guys who haven’t turned pro are guaranteed to be better.

These rankings are arbitrary for the most part, and we need to draw lines somewhere. Good seasons in lower leagues over terrible/injured seasons in Bingo is one way to do that.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The thing is the AHL guys legit did have a bad year, and in a ranking like this you have to take that into consideration. I mean how could you not?

That doesn’t mean all those AHL prospects are doomed, and the younger guys who haven’t turned pro are guaranteed to be better.

These rankings are arbitrary for the most part, and we need to draw lines somewhere. Good seasons in lower leagues over terrible/injured seasons in Bingo is one way to do that.
Ya so do you prefer meh production in europe or meh production in the AHL?

I went the latter. Certainly murky waters.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I think Speers will surprise.

If he was someone who lived and died by his tools, I'd be more willing to write him off. But one bad year is not enough for me to write off what we saw in him initially.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Zetterlund's numbers overseas to date are not much different than what Speers accomplished in that same timeframe, in my opinion.

I see the argument for Zetterlund over Speers, but I think Speers is getting unfairly treated for a poor Binghamton team. Speers also played that utility forward role in Binghamton moving around in multiple positions on multiple lines in different roles all year which isn't easy especially on a bad team.

this ranking is more of "who's exciting to you" as opposed to "who will make the NHL"

so hard to gauge when we don't have a unified standard of judging

Reactions: Billdo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad