Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F Veleno Joseph

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Every year there's a mock draft done by the team boards of HF -- here are the results of 2015, 2016, and 2017. Rules are easy: just pick the player you want your team to draft based on who is still available; "trade the pick" is not an option ;)

2018 Mock Draft
1 BUF --- D Rasmus Dahlin 117/126 (93%)
2 CAR --- F Andrei Svechnikov 69/74 (93%)
3 MTL --- F Filip Zadina 56/71 (79%)
4 OTT ---
5 ARI ---
6 DET ---
7 VAN ---
8 CHI ---
9 NYR ---
10 EDM ---
11 NYI ---
12 NYI* ---
13 DAL ---
14 PHI* ---
15 FLA ---
16 COL ---
17 NJD ---
18 CBJ ---
19 PHI ---
20 LAK ---

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
What we learn from today's NHL is the speed kills. If Stone could skate like Dzingle he would be even more valuable than McDavid, maybe producing 15 points less a season, but as an all-around player, Stone would be more impactful.

With that being said, we need to draft Boqvist, he has the speed and the offensive flair from the blueline, and if he pans out he will be a top 1 defenseman. Boqvist will have more of an impact on this team than Brady can ever have, unless he ends up as a bust, but that's the risk you have to take. Brady lacks speed and without that he will never be truly impactful.

Last edited:

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
What we learn from today's NHL is the speed kills. If Stone could skate like Dzingle he would be even more valuable than McDavid, maybe producing 15 points less a season, but as an all-around player, Stone would be more impactful.

With that being said, we need to draft Boqvist, he has the speed and the offensive flair from the blueline, and if he pans out he will be a top 1 defenseman. Boqvist will have more of an impact on this team than Brady can ever have, unless he ends up as a bust, but that's the risk you have to take. Brady lacks speed and without that he will never be truly impactful.

My pick is up in the air I don’t know who I want but to say tkachuk is slow is wrong. He actually skates quite well.

Reactions: Deku

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

We want someone that can eat steak. Tkachuk could eat Boqvist.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Majority will be Tkachuk for sure, definitely don't agree with it in the slightest, but we go with the majority

Tkachuk

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Majority will be Tkachuk for sure, definitely don't agree with it in the slightest, but we go with the majority

Tkachuk
If its any consolation Dobson would be my 2nd choice there even if Montreal takes Tkachuk and Zadina falls. Not sure I would get a ton of support with that.

Reactions: coladin

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If its any consolation Dobson would be my 2nd choice there even if Montreal takes Tkachuk and Zadina falls. Not sure I would get a ton of support with that.
Oh I'm completely fine with what the majority says, I won't be happy, but I'm an individual.

Dobson is 1 of 4 guys I'd rather have at #4, obviously I'd feel worse about the pick with 4 still on the board, but I'm one nobody so it makes no difference regardless. Tkachuk is the loud majority, let's go with that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There are 4 or 5 guys I'd be ok with at 4th. Ask me one day, TKachuk might top those guys, ask me another, it could be Boqvist, Dobson or Bouchard. Part of it is how risk adverse I am that particular day. Currently I'm leaning towards Tkachuk though. I see the skill set in my viewings to believe that his goal totals this year are a statistical anomoly. He really doesn't seem like 6% sh% shooter to me.

I've said it before, if one of the big three don't fall to us, I'd rather trade down a couple spots if the right offer is made. If we could pick up a second or a late first and still get a guy like Dobson, Bouchard or say Kotkaniemi, I'd be thrilled.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
There are 4 or 5 guys I'd be ok with at 4th. Ask me one day, TKachuk might top those guys, ask me another, it could be Boqvist, Dobson or Bouchard. Part of it is how risk adverse I am that particular day. Currently I'm leaning towards Tkachuk though. I see the skill set in my viewings to believe that his goal totals this year are a statistical anomoly. He really doesn't seem like 6% sh% shooter to me.

I've said it before, if one of the big three don't fall to us, I'd rather trade down a couple spots if the right offer is made. If we could pick up a second or a late first and still get a guy like Dobson, Bouchard or say Kotkaniemi, I'd be thrilled.
I'd be ok with that too

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The more I see of Boqvist, the less I want him. Incredible skills, but that perimeter play...how will he put up points in the NHL?

Bouchard looks like he's 30 already. Maybe a really, really poor mans Ekblad? Nice to have, but underwhelming at 4.

Dobson...some nice tools there...feels like a bit of a risk...he needs to hit on his potential to be worth the pick.

Hughes....same as Boqvist. Great skills, but that size as a blueliner...I dunno.

Tkachuk....this one scares me. No matter what others say, I just can't wrap my head around this kid as a first line player in the NHL.

Wahlstrom...the thought of a poor mans Boeser is really exciting...but there's something missing in his game. Feels like a boom/bust guy...that's scary at 4th overall.

The others on the list I haven't watched at all.

......just can't decide.

Reactions: branch

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brady Tkachuk running away with it lol. 8 goals in 40 games as an overage draft left winger.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I know, it's so bizarre that posters here would come to a similar consensus as professional scouting services. So funny...

Or read a name they recognize associate a few loses to the leafs in the early 2000's as the team not being gritty enough and voila. The sens have drafted a 3rd line grinder with the 4th overall pick.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
between dobson and bouchard is a tough choice for me

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Or read a name they recognize associate a few loses to the leafs in the early 2000's as the team not being gritty enough and voila. The sens have drafted a 3rd line grinder with the 4th overall pick.
Bert, I respect your opinion. I am surprised you don't like Tkachuk at least a little more. I don't think there are very many industry professionals that project him as a 3rd line grinder and I think you should clear your head and give him another good look. I really believe his upside is 1st liner... downside closer to 2nd liner than 3rd liner. I know the 8 goals scare you but .. if he had 13 instead of 8 would you feel the same way,,, 5 more points in goals and he leads BU in scoring. I am saying ignore the goals if you can and evaluate the player based on his play . I think posting that he is a 3rd line grinder just portrays your dislike for the player and is certainly a way off the board projection.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
between dobson and bouchard is a tough choice for me
I like Dobsons defensive play much more than Bouchards. Dobson also produces offensively but can play well defensively as well. I also like Dobson's skating better. If you want to go based more on offense than defense then Bouchard likely has an edge. I think Bouchard will be good.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Bert, I respect your opinion. I am surprised you don't like Tkachuk at least a little more. I don't think there are very many industry professionals that project him as a 3rd line grinder and I think you should clear your head and give him another good look. I really believe his upside is 1st liner... downside closer to 2nd liner than 3rd liner. I know the 8 goals scare you but .. if he had 13 instead of 8 would you feel the same way,,, 5 more points in goals and he leads BU in scoring. I am saying ignore the goals if you can and evaluate the player based on his play . I think posting that he is a 3rd line grinder just portrays your dislike for the player and is certainly a way off the board projection.
He's only 2 months older than Bowers, his highlights are not of the gamebreaker variety and that is a skillset you require to be a top line player. Would rather take a flyer on Wahlstrom or koka.... and have the chance of a true impact player. If Tkachuk turns in to Benn or Getzlaf I'll gladly eat my hat but I just don't see it.

Reactions: bert

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I really don't want to draft a David Backes, as nice a player as he was, with a top 4 pick.

I get what you're saying about tkachuk. I also love Backes though.
Brady is more agile than backes at least.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I really don't want to draft a David Backes, as nice a player as he was, with a top 4 pick.
Backes' 3 best seasons were 62 , 57, 58 pts ... If Tkachuk is just a little more productive for a longer period.. that's a pretty nice player... e.g. a 30 30 kind of player with the way he plays would be a great add imo. I like Kotkaniemi as well. I like that he is playing and producing in the top Finnish league , I just have not seen him enough, but would consider him over any other forward in the 5-10 range. Montreal could take either one of them. Zadina may fall to us and I am not 100% that the Sens take him.. what do you think on that? Does Dobson or Bouchard have a better chance at anchoring a top pair than Tkachuk has of being a 1st line 60 pt winger? Honest questions looking for your opinion.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He's only 2 months older than Bowers, his highlights are not of the gamebreaker variety and that is a skillset you require to be a top line player. Would rather take a flyer on Wahlstrom or koka.... and have the chance of a true impact player. If Tkachuk turns in to Benn or Getzlaf I'll gladly eat my hat but I just don't see it.

I am not expecting Benn or Getzlaf. IMO those two guys have been top 10 NHL players in their careers. Not saying he is at that level at all.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I have no problems with people who have differing opinions on a prospect. Just because the scouting industry has higher expectations of him then you doesn't mean that they can't be wrong, and you can't be right. I do however think that being condescending towards those who do like the prospect in question given the fact that the industry on the whole seems to like him, and you appear to be the one going against the grain, is a bit much. I just don't think it's a good look.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Backes' 3 best seasons were 62 , 57, 58 pts ... If Tkachuk is just a little more productive for a longer period.. that's a pretty nice player... e.g. a 30 30 kind of player with the way he plays would be a great add imo. I like Kotkaniemi as well. I like that he is playing and producing in the top Finnish league , I just have not seen him enough, but would consider him over any other forward in the 5-10 range. Montreal could take either one of them. Zadina may fall to us and I am not 100% that the Sens take him.. what do you think on that? Does Dobson or Bouchard have a better chance at anchoring a top pair than Tkachuk has of being a 1st line 60 pt winger? Honest questions looking for your opinion.
I think so, which is why I personally have both over Tkachuk. Kotkaniemi over Tkachuk for the same reason, and then a guy like Boqvist whom I've never been super high on, but in the Tkachuk vs. debate, I'd consider him before as well.

I take the 2 guys playing the more important position (Dobson and Bouchard) who both have more skill (in my opinion) and build from there. Tkachuk can be a nice complementary piece, but not one I want to spend a 4th overall on and leave top pairing D on the board.

Pro's obviously know more, but I definitely question this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad