Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Matthias Samuelsson wasn't anything impressive at WJC. He couldn't even match-up and handle much bigger guy against small forwards. To me he looked like very raw and akwardly bad skating, 3rd - 4th round pick more then top31. Ofc he's just 18-years old, but I don't get that hype what he has get.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
And I'm quite suprised that Nordgren doesn't get much love in here. He would ideal player in our team and really fit our need. He's RW who shoots right, really dynamic speedy gonzales who can score, I love that kid spirit not afraid to hard on plays and play physical game and take hits.

Tho I'm more hyped next year draft where is so many good finns. Kaapo Kakko, Anton Lundell, Anttoni Honka, Leevi Aaltonen and Mikko Kokkonen.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Matthias Samuelsson wasn't anything impressive at WJC. He couldn't even match-up and handle much bigger guy against small forwards. To me he looked like very raw and akwardly bad skating, 3rd - 4th round pick more then top31. Ofc he's just 18-years old, but I don't get that hype what he has get.

Wow, the anti-Swedish bias lasts generations. It even taints a kid who was born in Jersey and plays for Team USA. His dad was Swedish, so Swede-haters hate him. I mean, hypothetically, if their was a Finnish person who hated Swedes. Obviously not you Ranksu, since you love Swedes and always have so much good to say about players from there. :sarcasm:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
And I'm quite suprised that Nordgren doesn't get much love in here. He would ideal player in our team and really fit our need. He's RW who shoots right, really dynamic speedy gonzales who can score, I love that kid spirit not afraid to hard on plays and play physical game and take hits.

From what I have read from multiple sources (at leas 5 scouts) is that Nordgren has a terrible skating stride and poor acceleration and speed. Not what you want from such a little player. He needs to be able to get to top speed quickly. Everything else seems in order. I'd take a 2nd or 3rd round flyer. But with so much other talent on the board, why take such a high bust candidate?

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

Tho I'm more hyped next year draft where is so many good finns. Kaapo Kakko, Anton Lundell, Anttoni Honka, Leevi Aaltonen and Mikko Kokkonen.

Big fan of Nordgren, just as a 2nd rounder, ideally a 3rd. I think he’s got huge upside, I just want a little more of a sure thing with our 1st (if we keep it).

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
It seems this is a landslide. I haven’t followed this draft, so I won’t vote. However, despite my draft knowledge, I am surprised that there is such consensus here. Are people voting on name recognition or because they actually think Dellandrea is that good? If so, why wasn’t he drafted sooner? Thanks for any insight.

Honestly, I'm not sure Dellandrea really has much name recognition. He doesn't play for a high profile team, he isn't billed as a "future star"(if anything, he's considered a "safe" pick) and he's not a 2nd generation/sibling type to be known through his bloodlines. He's a guy that pretty much came out of no-where.

IMO the hype around him is purely talent related, very much like it was with Robert Thomas last year.

Jordeau

Aug 8, 2014
St. Louis
Dellandrea is an easy choice for me here, but I am a bit surprised he's leading it by so much. There are a handful of other good choices (Olofsson and Sandin aren't far behind on my list). Based on my viewings, Dellandrea is just a "good at everything" type of player. He doesn't have any extremely high end skills, but he's good to very good at pretty much everything. There really aren't any holes in his game. Pair that with the fact that he doesn't have much of a supporting cast on Flint, which inevitably leads to lower point totals, and that he's one of the youngest players in the draft, and it seems like he's a prime breakout candidate next year. I have him around the 20-23 range in my rankings.

Regarding Nordgren, the big knock on him based on the reports I've read is that he's not a very good skater, which doesn't usually pair well with smaller players. There are a few exceptions in the NHL, but not many. He has a ton of skill though, and he put up some pretty crazy numbers this year, so I'd be happy with him in the 3rd, or maybe 2nd depending on who's still on the board at 45.

Edit: I like the Thomas comparison a lot. Not necessarily stylistically, but more based on the circumstances of their draft year. Both went into the draft as very well-rounded players, good at everything but not necessarily top-tier at anything, late birthdays, lower point totals potentially due to the dynamics of their respective teams (Thomas trapped behind older, more established players, Dellandrea stuck on a poor team with little surrounding cast). Obviously not saying Dellandrea is going to break out anywhere near to the extent that Thomas did this year, but there are a lot of parallels that can be drawn between their situations leading up to the draft.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What where is written about Nordgren bad skating? His skating is really good one. Nordgren doesn't have highlights, but I tried to find something.

Here is link Nordgren scoring WJC gold medal winning goal at shorthanded.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Big fan of Nordgren, just as a 2nd rounder, ideally a 3rd. I think he’s got huge upside, I just want a little more of a sure thing with our 1st (if we keep it).

Nordgen had pretty darn impressive numbers at junior Liiga in Finland when compare to Sebastian Aho or Teuvo Teräväinen. Mark my word, he is steal if he falls 2nd round or even not even talking about 3rd round.

Book it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
What where is written about Nordgren bad skating? His skating is really good one. Nordgren doesn't have highlights, but I tried to find something.

From a quick 5 minute search. There are tons more, and some of these are more kind than ones I remember but don't feel like finding. Even if these are accurate, it hardly paints a picture of him as fast.

Pronman @ Athletic - "His skating is worrisome for a 5-foot-9 guy, which keeps me from getting him to the higher tiers, but it still grades as average, and given how hard he hustles, he gets up the ice reasonably well."

Dobber Prospects - "Nordgren has very soft hands and great vision but the one thing holding him back is skating which is especially worrisome for a small player like him."

LWoS (surprisingly decent for prospects) - "An undersized winger, Nordgren’s skating is a real drawback. He lacks explosiveness. Nordgren has a very choppy stride, that robs him of top end speed. He also needs to work on his first step and his acceleration. He could also use work on his edge work and agility."

Draft Analysis - "Nordgren's average straight-line speed is the only thing keeping him from being considered one of the elite wingers in this draft"

Reactions: simon in canada

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Also from a page called Finnprospects: "The diminutive forward’s size and skating have been concerns, but they didn’t hold him back in Chelyabinsk. His skating skills looked above-average, even though his top speed is still a bit of a concern. At this level his size was not an issue, as he had enough strength and agility to match against his peers. It is a bit of a concern although when it comes to the pro ranks."

Hockeywriters - " Let’s get the facts out of the way here, Nordgren is undersized — at 5-foot-9 and 170 pounds — and isn’t the best skater, two big knocks against any prospect. "

Reactions: simon in canada

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Dellandrea is such a Blues pick that it has my full support. Find a player who has only one real blackmark against him but with tons of talent, then they prove that the blackmark is silly. With Fabbri it was size (which has been fair), with Thomas it was lack of shot, with Dellandrea it is just that his team is so bad its prevented him from blowing up.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad