2018 Hall of Fame Ballot released (Vlad, Chipper, Thome & Hoffman are in)

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Hall of Very good is for people who were very good but not Hall of Fame caliber. Halladay was a first ballot Hall of Famer almost his entire career, and then in his second last season he started to have shoulder problems that wrecked his arm. He could have, like many pitchers, pushed through it to put up 3-4 more seasons of 4.50+ ERA and 180+ innings. Which would have given up upwards of 20 more wins, 4-5 more WAR, a few hundred more strikeouts, etc. Why did he need that to be a Hall of Famer? He had 10 years where he was a top five pitcher in baseball, several seasons where he was the best, a perfect game, a no-hitter, Cy Young's in both leagues. Halladay is the epitome of the modern-ERA Hall of Fame pitcher.

People said the same thing about Vlad. Halladay is going to get in. I would have said 2nd or 3rd ballot before his death, but there's a reasonable chance for first ballot now.

Obviously Mussina had a longer career, but it's also obvious Hallady was a better pitcher. Halladay was an elite pitcher for 10 years, while Mussina was a very good pitcher for 17 years. Both should be Hall of Famers.

Doc sticking around another 3-4 years to push through it wouldn't have done much for him at all. No issues with him going in. I'm just stricter with HOF than most.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
morris and hoffman lower the bar for the HOF significantly

so while halladay is hall of very good in my opinion he probably gets in

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Halladay's resume is very comparable to Don Drysdale who was voted into the Hall rather easily decades ago. He might not get in for his first eligible year, but he will get in by his second or third year at worst.

Best workhorse of the new millenium. No one came close to the number of innings pitched, complete games and shutouts as Roy. He was very economical with his pitches, always pitching right around the strike zone. This is the reason he was able to pitch deep into games on a consistent basis - he rarely walked anyone and rarely went deep into pitching counts with individual batters. No one did it better over a 10 - 11 year period.
Drysdale took ten ballots to get inducted and only received 78% of the vote when he finally got his turn. Not sure how he was voted in "rather easily."

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
There are gonna be voters who won't vote for Halladay now because of what he had in his system when he crashed. Sad but true.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
Disagree, Schilling isn't in because the voters are unfairly holding his political views against him. They aren't voting based on his playing career, which is a load of crap.

Schilling debuted at 40% and while he was outspoken about politics during his career I don't think his political comments became a liability for his Hall chances until after that. Agreed though he should be in and that's despite the fact he's honestly my least favorite person to ever play baseball.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Schilling debuted at 40% and while he was outspoken about politics during his career I don't think his political comments became a liability for his Hall chances until after that. Agreed though he should be in and that's despite the fact he's honestly my least favorite person to ever play baseball.

Schilling was very disliked by the media before he retired. Similar to Bonds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad