2018 franchise draft Quarterfinal series: Portland Buckaroos vs. Newport Mesa Ice Kings

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea

Billy Smith
Rogie Vachon

vs.

icekingslogo2-768x239-png.132779

NEWPORT MESA

coach Anatoly Tarasov

Cy Denneny - Howie Morenz (C) - Boris Mikhailov (A)
Henrik Zetterberg - Frank Boucher - Mike Bossy
Bill Barber - Doug Gilmour - Václav Nedomansky
Markus Naslund - Nels Stewart - Shane Doan

Raymond Bourque (A) - Rob Blake
Sergei Gonchar - Scott Niedermayer
Herb Gardiner - Bill Hajt

Glenn Hall
Mikka Kiprusoff

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Portland:

PP1: Bentley - Gretzky - Iginla - Clancy - Geoffrion
PP2: Abel - Apps - Bathgate - Cleghorn - Clapper

PK1: Kesler - Propp - Hatcher - Clapper
PK2: Petrov - Bentley - Pospisil - Cleghorn

vs.

Newport:

PP1: Denneny - Morenz - Bossy - Gonchar - Bourque
PP2: Stewart - Boucher - Mikhailov - Blake - Niedermayer

PK1: Barber - Gilmour - Bourque - Hajt
PK2: Zetterberg - Boucher - Gardiner - Niedermayer​

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Line vs line I think he has an edge in quality (Gretz offensively tho maybe exposed defensively vs Morenz, and your top 4 on d is more well rounded), but if you look at lines matching up in an actual game, his first two lines defensively don’t match my top three centers (and it would take all three rolling vs Gretz, tho I would think Morenz would get the bulk of the duties with his excellent speed and two-way game and grit).

TDMM: “Howie Morenz is often underrated defensively. Of the top 7 centers of all-time (Gretzky, Lemieux, Beliveau, Morenz, Crosby, Mikita, Messier), I think Morenz was easily the best defensive player.“ I think he was even better than that comparison. His defensive play was lauded. He was talked about like Orr is in that he could rush and be the first guy back. And he played with an edge.

I think that makes this closer than it looks. Boucher is often thought of as gentlemanly, but he played a hard two way game and could fight. Gilmour we know. Similar to Morenz, two way game and was dirty if necessary. Anything to win. Compared to Gretz and Apps, I think that gives me an edge.

I want to switch Gardiner for Gonchar even strength.

Not sure how you measure Smith vs Hall. Hall is head and shoulders the better goalie but if you give Smith credit for playing behind a dynasty... he did fire them up and was clutch but you could insert many goalies into that situation.

Also I think my PP2 would do damage vs that PK2. Boucher/Morenz might have to split PK duties, maybe even Morenz on the top PK unit if that makes sense?. Hajt looks out of place but his .77 on the PK makes him an asset vs Gretz, no?

I could make arguments for you but you will make them better than I could. I voted you first in your division too, you obviously picked a great team. I will add in vsx later or tomorrow to see if I’m just blowing smoke.

Cy Denneny (NHL scoring: Points: 1st (1924), 2nd (1918, 1922, 1923, 1925, 1926), 3rd (1921), 4th (1919))
Howie Morenz (C - 102.2 15th all-time )
Boris Mikhailov (A - 2x Sov MVP)

Henrik Zetterberg (79.5 - Selke: 3, 4, 7, 9, 9, 12, 14)
Frank Boucher (95.1 - 23rd all-time)
Mike Bossy (94.8 - 24th all-time)

Bill Barber (70 - 5x Top 10 in Playoff Goals; def sp; grinder; .80 PK)
Doug Gilmour (82)
Václav Nedomansky (5x Cz scoring leader)

Markus Naslund (82.9)
Nels Stewart (90.3 - 35th all-time)
Shane Doan (66.1)

Raymond Bourque (A - 75.5; 5x Norris winner)
Rob Blake (Norris: 1, 3, 3, 4, 5, 8, 12)

Herb Gardiner (Hart winner; Norris equivalent record: 1, 4, 4, 6, 8)
Scott Niedermayer (Norris - 1, 2, 2, 5, 10, 10, 12, 13)

Sergei Gonchar (Norris: 4, 4, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 14)
Bill Hajt (.77 PK)

Glen Hall (9x Top 8 Hart Trophy Voting(3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 8, 8)​

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad