Prospect Info: 2018 Draft: 1st pick: Evan Bouchard (D) - Sent back to London (11/02/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Have Barzal in fantasy keeper league so I'll do that.

Nothing wrong with that. In the meantime Reinhart is gone and we drafted Bouchard so as an Oilers fan cheer him on and wish for the best. How soon some of us forget how many people were having **** fits because we drafted Draisaitl instead of Bennett, for all we know Bouchard could be miles better than Dobson or vice versa, it's far too early to call one way or another.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Nothing wrong with that. In the meantime Reinhart is gone and we drafted Bouchard so as an Oilers fan cheer him on and wish for the best. How soon some of us forget how many people were having **** fits because we drafted Draisaitl instead of Bennett, for all we know Bouchard could be miles better than Dobson or vice versa, it's far too early to call one way or another.

As someone who wanted Bennett and now wanted Bouchard, I have to say that we've missed enough other times that I can see the concern being legit.

Aug 10, 2015

I so wanted Buffalo to pass on Sam Reinhart so that we could draft him. I was disappointed we ended out with Draisaitl but can admit that I was wrong now....even though I would very much like to see Sam in an Oiler uniform.

I am very excited to have us draft Bouchard, I was resigned to us getting Boqvist and excited to get him...even happier to get Bouchard though.

Reactions: Aerchon

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I so wanted Buffalo to pass on Sam Reinhart so that we could draft him. I was disappointed we ended out with Draisaitl but can admit that I was wrong now....even though I would very much like to see Sam in an Oiler uniform.

I am very excited to have us draft Bouchard, I was resigned to us getting Boqvist and excited to get him...even happier to get Bouchard though.

I think that we just need to cut him some slack and let him develop at his own pace. It is not his fault if he is not ready and we still have that massive gap in our lineup come October. Guys like Bear and Benning need to **** or get off the pot sooner than later with Bouchard in the fold. It kind of reminds me of when we had Rob Schremp and then Gagner got drafted, once you get passed by a younger player like that it is a death knell for your opportunity within an organization more often than not IMO.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
A week ago everyone was saying Bouchard should get at least 9 games in the NHL this fall and projecting who he was going to replace in the lineup.

Now he's a bust.

Settle down and just let the prospect do prospect things.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
A week ago everyone was saying Bouchard should get at least 9 games in the NHL this fall and projecting who he was going to replace in the lineup.

Now he's a bust.

Settle down and just let the prospect do prospect things.

It is August and HF boards - what did you expect. 2018 draft class is already busting except few lucky ones and we are already looking next years draft positions. Whole season we can throw negative shit over the prospects about how slowly they develop. If they are not game changers from opening day onwards, they are disappointments. :huh:

For me - I just like to see them giving 100 % and we will see how far they can reach.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I made a quip last winter that if we walk out with Bouchard, we should be considered lucky. He might not be an all rounder ala Dobson but his offensive instincts, given how inept-Klefbom included, offensively our backend was, he would be a boon for us

Plus his offensive skills are so high, arguable the best in the draft for Dman this season, I’m willing to overlook his defensive skills since the latter can be coached.

McJazz

Jun 18, 2016
Gothenburg
I'd be funny to see Boqvist come over to London, only for Bouchard to end up in Europe. Hell, maximize the irony level and send him to Gothenburg to play with Frölunda.
Yes please! My hometown team, and actually they have always been great at developing talent. Erik Karlsson, Henrik Lundqvist, Daniel Alfredsson, John Klingberg and Rasmus Dahlin were all developed in Frölunda, and up-and-comers such as Andreas Johnson and Lias Andersson as well. Send Bouchard here!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I made a quip last winter that if we walk out with Bouchard, we should be considered lucky. He might not be an all rounder ala Dobson but his offensive instincts, given how inept-Klefbom included, offensively our backend was, he would be a boon for us

Plus his offensive skills are so high, arguable the best in the draft for Dman this season, I’m willing to overlook his defensive skills since the latter can be coached.

I'm not going to lie, I preferred Dobson however I have not followed drafts nearly as closely as I used to at the start of the Oilers rebuild. Then we drafted him (I would've been thrilled with either at #10) and I heard "best passer, etc." and I was sold. This is what we need. Larsson and Nurse are 2 defensive studs so we could really use a guy that shoots RH and can move the puck quickly and tape to tape. We got said player. Whether he's ready now, in 1 year or two, he will be a big part of this team in the near future.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I think that we just need to cut him some slack and let him develop at his own pace. It is not his fault if he is not ready and we still have that massive gap in our lineup come October. Guys like Bear and Benning need to **** or get off the pot sooner than later with Bouchard in the fold. It kind of reminds me of when we had Rob Schremp and then Gagner got drafted, once you get passed by a younger player like that it is a death knell for your opportunity within an organization more often than not IMO.

Schremp’s problem is that he sucked. Gagner couldn’t change that.

And isn’t a little early for Bear to be at the shit or get off the pot stage? He’s got one year of pro hockey under his belt and is at least as far in his development as anyone realistically would have hoped when. He was drafted.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
It's pretty tempting to start with the I-told-you-so's, given how good Dobson looked his first game and how, well, not so good Bouchard looked. I thought the obvious choice was Dobson when the Oilers were up at 10, but I wasn't upset when they picked Bouchard. I get it, I guess. I like Bouchard, but boy did he get lit up in a couple of one-on-one situations. On the other hand, Dobson looked all the future number 1 he's been speculated to be. Very impressive.

I won't litigate who the Oilers should have picked, but I will say that if Bouchard ends up being better than Dobson, he's going to be an absolutely amazing player.

Reactions: zman77

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Schremp’s problem is that he sucked. Gagner couldn’t change that.

And isn’t a little early for Bear to be at the **** or get off the pot stage? He’s got one year of pro hockey under his belt and is at least as far in his development as anyone realistically would have hoped when. He was drafted.

Well in Bear's case he has Larsson and Benning ahead of him and Bouchard once he establishes himself will likely be our main PP and offensive guy. Unless Bear surprises and pushes out Benning where does he end up fitting once Bouchard makes the team? Bear needs to improve on last season and push for a full time spot if he's going to be here long term IMO.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Well in Bear's case he has Larsson and Benning ahead of him and Bouchard once he establishes himself will likely be our main PP and offensive guy. Unless Bear surprises and pushes out Benning where does he end up fitting once Bouchard makes the team? Bear needs to improve on last season and push for a full time spot if he's going to be here long term IMO.

Given the number of injuries that defensemen go through there is really 7 guys who you can pencil in for al fair bit of time each year. I think it is quite possible that Bear gets 30+ games if his defensive game is improved even if he does not start in the NHL.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Given the number of injuries that defensemen go through there is really 7 guys who you can pencil in for al fair bit of time each year. I think it is quite possible that Bear gets 30+ games if his defensive game is improved even if he does not start in the NHL.

Good point.

Last season the Oilers top 6...

Larsson
Klefbom
Nurse
Sekera
Russell
Benning

... missed a total of 92 games... so essentially a team needs a #7D basically full time... and a #8D part of the time as well most likely.

It's a good bet that one of Gravel/Bear/Bouchard will likely be in the lineup all season long.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Don't like his slow lazy feet in his own end. Button also said that he isn't a sexy player, which is a bad omen (Chia has said that about several of his disappointing acquisitions, from Larsson to Loui Eriksson. What most of these unsexy players have in common is average at best skating ability which is a disadvantage in the new NHL.)

Seems that every time a highly touted prospect falls into the Oilers lap at the draft, there is a good reason the player fell, and the player turns out to be defective. First Pulju, now Bouchard. It's hard to see him being more than a second pairing, good but not elite offensive d-man at the NHL level.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Don't like his slow lazy feet in his own end. Button also said that he isn't a sexy player, which is a bad omen (Chia has said that about several of his disappointing acquisitions, from Larsson to Loui Eriksson).

Seems that every time a highly touted prospect falls into the Oilers lap at the draft, there is a good reason the player fell, and the player turns out to be defective. First Pulju, now Bouchard. It's hard to see him being more than a second pairing, good but not elite offensive d-man at the NHL level.
Button also says alot of dumb shit.

Reactions: Aerrol and lakai17

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's pretty tempting to start with the I-told-you-so's, given how good Dobson looked his first game and how, well, not so good Bouchard looked. I thought the obvious choice was Dobson when the Oilers were up at 10, but I wasn't upset when they picked Bouchard. I get it, I guess. I like Bouchard, but boy did he get lit up in a couple of one-on-one situations. On the other hand, Dobson looked all the future number 1 he's been speculated to be. Very impressive.

I won't litigate who the Oilers should have picked, but I will say that if Bouchard ends up being better than Dobson, he's going to be an absolutely amazing player.
It was summer games...nothing summer games. Did Wahlstrom score a goal? What a bust!

If in training camp Bouchard looks great and Dobson looks great than maybe. But it's a nothing summer showcases where the only players really being too judged are the guys who aren't locks for the team.

Also team Canada's coach said Bouchard was one of the stand outs from the summer sessions too so it's not like he was shitting the bed.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
It was summer games...nothing summer games. Did Wahlstrom score a goal? What a bust!

If in training camp Bouchard looks great and Dobson looks great than maybe. But it's a nothing summer showcases where the only players really being too judged are the guys who aren't locks for the team.

Also team Canada's coach said Bouchard was one of the stand outs from the summer sessions too so it's not like he was ****ting the bed.

Are you going to cry?

Some people. Any criticism whatsoever is simply reduced to negativity. We all know those people who have "Live, Love, Laugh" written above their pantry door, who are just a critical comment away from a total nervous breakdown. Don't be that person.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Do you guys remember when Gagner scored a billion points in the summer showcase against the Russians the year after he was drafted?

Then he put up 49 points in the NHL. He was going to be amazing.

Bouchard was just picked 10th. That's not a guarantee to be anything but its a high pick and has a reasonable chance at success.

No point in over reacting either way.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Are you going to cry?

Some people. Any criticism whatsoever is simply reduced to negativity. We all know those people who have "Live, Love, Laugh" written above their pantry door, who are just a critical comment away from a total nervous breakdown. Don't be that person.

His response didn't strike me as being out proportion

To be frank, I'm not sure it's him that has trouble dealing with opposing viewpoints in the context of this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad