Prospect Info: 2018 Draft: 1st pick: Evan Bouchard (D) - Sent back to London (11/02/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Just to make it clear... I obviously don't think Dahlin is some sort of dud either... he's obviously an exceptional talent as well... but I was thrilled to see Bouchard drop as I did consider him the best pick in this draft and he's exactly what the Oilers needed.

If the Oilers had both McAvoy and Bouchard in their system now... don't think we'd have to worry about D for the decade ahead.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What did he do in his draft year that Ryan Ellis didn't?
Bouchard put up 87 points in 67 games, led his team in points by almost 30 points and led the entire OHL in defender scoring and played like 30 minutes a night.

Ellis put up 89 in 57 on a team that had a total of 7 60+ points scorers (Bouchard was the only one above 60 on his team). Ellis was a strong part of a stacked offense, Bouchard was THE offense.

Oct 15, 2008
Agreed, couldn’t say it better, I see modern day Coffey and Bourque in Bouche. He’s going to be a one heck of a player and I will be shocked if he doesn’t show up in the top 4 soon. We are one top 4 piece away and I think he’s that guy.
Sure doesn’t skate like Coffey. Does he play defence like Coffey? That’s not always a good thing.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
You give Bouchard Dahlins skating and he is a better prospect. Bouchard was doing things offensively in the OHL that no one his age has done since Coffey.

This is absurd. Bouchard is great but this is taking it too far while at the same time completely neglecting how special what Dahlin did last year in SHL was. He's tied for 1st in PPG all time of U18 defenseman in SHL, the only other guy being at the same level was Tomas Jonsson 77/78 season, a guy who went on to win 2 cups with the Isles in the 80's and also won an Olympic Gold and World Championship. Asisde from him there's no one close. Dahlin also has the most points ever by a U18 defenseman in SHL, and 2nd most points by a U18 player (including forwards) in SHL all-time.

If Bouchard was as special as you claim he would have been in talks for being a top2 pick, even without the elite skating. I also think there's a lot of hyperbole on your side, you seem to forget that Bouchard was a late birthday. If he was a little over a month older he'd have been in the 2017 draft with his 44 points in 68 games season which is still pretty decent but hardly anything special.

Also, again, if Bouchard was that special there's no way he'd be sent down on a team with as bad D depth as the Oilers. If he was THAT good, it'd be a no-brainer to keep him up.

Reactions: mouz135 and Aerrol

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
You give Eichel McDavids skating and he is better player... See how that doesn't work. Fact is that he doesn't have that elite skating. No point being those fans and just be happy with who we got without needing him to be the "best" in his class or bringing others down.
lol, Eichel cant stickhandle, process the game and has the leadership qualities of McDavid. Not even close. Bouchard can process the game at Dahlins level offensively. He just might not have the full set of physical ability Dahlin may have. Eichel doesn't sniffs McDavid's jockstrap.
2018-11-16 10_28_01-Evan Bouchard hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com.png
2018-11-16 10_27_30-Rasmus Dahlin hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com.png

????

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
lol, Eichel cant stickhandle, process the game and has the leadership qualities of McDavid. Not even close. Bouchard can process the game at Dahlins level offensively. He just might not have the full set of physical ability Dahlin may have. Eichel doesn't sniffs McDavid's jockstrap.

Disagree. I've never seen Bouchard find the plays and openings out of nowhere that Dahlin did. Bouchard is crazy good at finding seams, Dahlin MAKES them like McDavid does. He's that truly special prospect that was making something out of nothing every game. We should really stop because it's OT but it just drives me crazy to see people underrate other top tier prospects because they're not Oilers.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Disagree. I've never seen Bouchard find the plays and openings out of nowhere that Dahlin did. Bouchard is crazy good at finding seams, Dahlin MAKES them like McDavid does. He's that truly special prospect that was making something out of nothing every game. We should really stop because it's OT but it just drives me crazy to see people underrate other top tier prospects because they're not Oilers.

He really is McDavid tier eh . Your right he's not an Oiler prospect, and he is nowhere in McDavid tier at finding seams. What are you watching man ? He is in my opinion a Hedman level prospect who will be competing with Hedman for Norris trophies. The overhype is real. He may win a few Norris trophies because he will be good. He is NOT generational. Get of his jock. :laugh:

In order for him to be in 97 tier... He better be putting up 70 plus points in his rookie season then follow that up with 90 + points every year in his prime. Not happening. Sorry man. Don't see that level of dominance.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
He really is McDavid tier eh . Your right he's not an Oiler prospect, and he is nowhere in McDavid tier at finding seams. What are you watching man ? He is in my opinion a Hedman level prospect who will be competing with Hedman for Norris trophies. The overhype is real. He may win a few Norris trophies because he will be good. He is NOT generational. Get of his jock. :laugh:

How many times have you watched Dahlin play? Serious question.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Enough to know your wrong.

You have a serious issue of undervaluing what McDavid is doing. Dahlin isnt McDavid level bud.

Alright, I'll take that as a 'barely at all but I gotta defend my hfboards credibility'.

Dahlin isn't a McDavid level prospect, obviously, but he's certainly closer to that than Bouchard is at all comparable to him.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You do know that Michigan State and the University of Michigan are different schools right?

Yes I know that. Did a quick search on my phone of Michigan alumni and Duncan Keith was the first to come up. Surprised more big names haven’t gone through the Wolverines organization, but all of Johnson, Ward, and Komisarek were serviceable NHL vets.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You give Bouchard Dahlins skating and he is a better prospect. Bouchard was doing things offensively in the OHL that no one his age has done since Coffey.

One of the other criticisms though for Bouchard is his intensity level. I think he’s similar to Reinhardt in that way. I no doubt like how cool and collected he looks on the backend but he needs to be a bit more assertive IMO.

Some other interesting news I heard yesterday about Dobson. Originally he was selected by the Moncton Wildcats. Apparently had attitude issues, didn’t want to listen to the coach and demanding ice time. Moncton let him go and he had to go play junior A in Woodstock, then re-entered the draft the next year. That’s when Acadie Bathurst picked him up. Probably the main reason he fell to 11th. Attitude has a big influence on scouts.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

In order for him to be in 97 tier... He better be putting up 70 plus points in his rookie season then follow that up with 90 + points every year in his prime. Not happening. Sorry man. Don't see that level of dominance.
So his potential is to arguably the best Dman in NHL then...
Bouchard will be lucky to be a top pairing Dman in his prime.

Reminds of all the "Larkins is as good as McDavid if he only had X and Y" posts from DET homers.

I will take Bouchard as a #2 Dman on Oilers and not feel bad.. No need for him to be anywhere close to Dahlin's tier whatever that may be.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So glad the Oilers picked Bouchard over Dobson. I saw nothing dynamic about Dobson's game to suggest taking him where we were picking.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
How do people feel about Bouchard vs Quinn Hughes? Hughes is probably more dynamic offensively due to his amazing skating & quick hands. Bouchard has the edge defensively (probably) and will translate better due to his size. Am I right?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Alright, I'll take that as a 'barely at all but I gotta defend my hfboards credibility'.

Dahlin isn't a McDavid level prospect, obviously, but he's certainly closer to that than Bouchard is at all comparable to him.

Your massively undervaluing Evan Bouchard bud. Bump this thread in a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad