Prospect Info: 2018 Draft: 1st pick: Evan Bouchard (D) - Sent back to London (11/02/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The future is bright with him. He’s going to rack up a lot of PP points in his career.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I agree Garrison is done. Benning struggled when they tried him at top four. He's proven to be a useful third pairing guy.

I think a Gravel-Benning pairing is going to be a little more reliable than with Bouchard. Failing that, Chiarelli will need to find someone to plug the hole on the third pairing.

Bouchard is showing potential, but he's not forcing the issue IMO.
McLellan seems hell-bent on overplaying Benning unfortunately. If he only played like 12 minutes and didn't PK it might go a little better.

I agree it is bad to burn a year on Bouchard's ELC but it doesn't look like it is avoidable unless Chiarelli can grab an upgrade through trade quickly. I wouldn't be suprised if Bouchard only plays one game this weekend to help spread out his nine game tryout.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He has been struggling.

Watch that play on the Capitals goal. He was supposed to switch off and cover Dowd when Dowd went behind the net. Instead Bouchard faded to the front of the net but didn't cover anyone.

In the first period he made a poor pinch at the blueline which led to a three on one.

He coughed up the puck on the PP leading to a breakaway.

He made a really weird attempted pinch at his own blueline on a two on two that almost led to a Caps goal.

That's just off the top of my head, and this was in only 11 minutes of icetime.

Note that Bouchard faced absolutely zero time against the Ovechkin-Kuznetsov line. It's really tough to manage the bench if you have a player that can't be trusted to survive against another teams first line even for a few minutes.

The Oilers coaches are going out of their way to shelter Bouchard but he's still making too many mistakes.

WSH at EDM

WSH at EDM

It's forcing Klefbom-Larsson to play too many minutes.

That is not struggling as much as it is a mistake. Rookies do that....its to be expected.
It also cant be surprising that he needs sheltering.

Are you surprised?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
That is not struggling as much as it is a mistake. Rookies do that....its to be expected.
It also cant be surprising that he needs sheltering.

Are you surprised?

Rookies that aren't ready make a lot of mistakes. Mistakes don't help the team win.

Right now Bouchard makes too many mistakes and he is giving up more than he is giving back to the team.

Yamamoto in comparison doesn't make very many mistakes. It might be the difference an extra year of experience being a top player at a lower level makes.

I'm not surprised at all.

The Oilers haven't hesitated to ram guys into the NHL before they are ready since about the time that Christopher Pronger left town.

How's that worked out for them?

Maybe they should change the game plan. What do you think?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It is a tough call because he will learn nothing in London.

He was far from a perfect player in junior. Still can work on his defensive game, improve his reads and reaction time down in the OHL. And in the meantime continue to build strength and speed as he continues to develop physically.

Better players than Bouchard have gone back to junior after their draft years and it wasn't an issue for them.

Hell, Alex Pietrangelo was sent back twice before finally sticking in his draft+3 season.

Reactions: McCupofOil

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Rookies that aren't ready make a lot of mistakes. Mistakes don't help the team win.

Right now Bouchard makes too many mistakes and he is giving up more than he is giving back to the team.

Yamamoto in comparison doesn't make very many mistakes. It might be the difference an extra year of experience being a top player at a lower level makes.

I'm not surprised at all.

The Oilers haven't hesitated to ram guys into the NHL before they are ready since about the time that Christopher Pronger left town.

How's that worked out for them?

Maybe they should change the game plan. What do you think?

I disagree. You are grossly overstating this.
History has pretty much proven that rookies make mistakes. Its to be expected.
Bouchard is making mistakes...its not at all surprising IMO. It was to be expected.

The only issue in my mind was if the Oilers can shelter Bouchard enough so that his mistakes dont cost them games.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He was far from a perfect player in junior. Still can work on his defensive game, improve his reads and reaction time down in the OHL. And in the meantime continue to build strength and speed as he continues to develop physically.

Better players than Bouchard have gone back to junior after their draft years and it wasn't an issue for them.

Hell, Alex Pietrangelo was sent back twice before finally sticking in his draft+3 season.

He ripped up Junior...that cant be denied.

The question is (and its not as black and white as you are portraying IMO) is what is the best decision for Bouchard?
Its not a given that sending him back is the best decision.

What I would do is keep him for 40 games. At that point in time he will be getting back to Junior just before the playoffs and Sekera should be back by then.

He is an offensive dynamo IMO...its not cut and dried that he goes back this soon...as long as he can be properly sheltered.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He ripped up Junior...that cant be denied.

The question is (and its not as black and white as you are portraying IMO) is what is the best decision for Bouchard?
Its not a given that sending him back is the best decision.

I beg to differ. There is a right decision here and a wrong decision here. One that the vast majority of teams seem to recognize every year and one that the Oilers struggle with with seemingly every first rounder we draft.

Even with scoring a goal tonight, Bouchard still looks like a junior player out there. Send him down.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I disagree. You are grossly overstating this.
History has pretty much proven that rookies make mistakes. Its to be expected.
Bouchard is making mistakes...its not at all surprising IMO. It was to be expected.

The only issue in my mind was if the Oilers can shelter Bouchard enough so that his mistakes dont cost them games.

It's the rate at which he's making mistakes. Looks like a 19 year old Smid in the defensive zone.

There is a reason that even first round defencemen generally don't break into the NHL immediately after being drafted.

It's a more nuanced position than forward and defenders need time and experience to excel at the position.

You are making excuses for him because he's a rookie. If he was a ten year vet most fans would want to throw him into the ocean right now.

He's not playing well enough to be counted on as an NHL regular yet.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I beg to differ. There is a right decision here and a wrong decision here. One that the vast majority of teams seem to recognize every year and one that the Oilers struggle with with seemingly every first rounder we draft.

Even with scoring a goal tonight, Bouchard still looks like a junior player out there. Send him down.

Again...its not that black and white IMO. I have seen Bouchard make some smart plays in tight against excellent competition. I have also seen him make some mistakes.

In the O zone however have rarely seen him make a mistake.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's the rate at which he's making mistakes. Looks like a 19 year old Smid in the defensive zone.

There is a reason that even first round defencemen generally don't break into the NHL immediately after being drafted.

It's a more nuanced position than forward and defenders need time and experience to excel at the position.

You are making excuses for him because he's a rookie. If he was a ten year vet most fans would want to throw him into the ocean right now.

He's not playing well enough to be counted on as an NHL regular yet.

Are you bothering to count the smart plays he makes with the puck? He has made some and he is learning IMO.

The mistakes will happen...highlighting them isnt ground breaking.

Again...I would keep him for 40 games.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Again...its not that black and white IMO. I have seen Bouchard make some smart plays in tight against excellent competition. I have also seen him make some mistakes.

In the O zone however have rarely seen him make a mistake.

The risks far outweigh the rewards with keeping this player up past 9 games. Not only for his development (where the risks are huge) but also for his long term contract situation with the team.

Time and time again we do this with these players... haven't we learned anything from it yet?

Send him down, let him be the best d-man in the OHL and go be a key player for Canada at the world Juniors.

In the meantime we can call up Bear and have arguably a better player in the lineup.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The risks far outweigh the rewards with keeping this player up past 9 games. Not only for his development (where the risks are huge) but also for his long term contract situation with the team.

Time and time again we do this with these players... haven't we learned anything from it yet?

Send him down, let him be the best d-man in the OHL and go be a key player for Canada at the world Juniors.

In the meantime we can call up Bear and have arguably a better player in the lineup.

Which defensman have the Oilers have rushed as a rookie?

The only one I can think of is Shultz and they moved him into the top 4 way too early.

They arent doing that with Bouchard.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Are you bothering to count the smart plays he makes with the puck? He has made some and he is learning IMO.

The mistakes will happen...highlighting them isnt ground breaking.

Again...I would keep him for 40 games.

Of course he makes some good plays, but so does everyone else in the NHL. What separates the boys from the men is that NHL regulars make more good plays than mistakes.

I can live with an offensive defenceman making mistakes if they are putting up some points. Bouchard hasn't so far.

I'm curious why you would want the Oilers to give Bouchard the Puljujarvi treatment?
So many Oilers prospects have failed to live up to their potential after being thrown in the deep end before they are ready.

I answer you questions. Answer this one. Do you think the Oilers have done a good job with their prospects the last few years?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Of course he makes some good plays, but so does everyone else in the NHL. What separates the boys from the men is that NHL regulars make more good plays than mistakes.

I can live with an offensive defenceman making mistakes if they are putting up some points. Bouchard hasn't so far.

I'm curious why you would want the Oilers to give Bouchard the Puljujarvi treatment?
So many Oilers prospects have failed to live up to their potential after being thrown in the deep end before they are ready.

I answer you questions. Answer this one. Do you think the Oilers have done a good job with their prospects the last few years?

How exactly are the situations with Bouchard and Puljujarvi the same?

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I think we need to send him down after 9. He doesn't look out of place per se, but I don't feel it's wise asset management to keep him up here at this production level. I would imagine a guy like Bear could fill in the spot just fine. That contract is going to be so important for us going forward, gonna be a good player

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think we need to send him down after 9. He doesn't look out of place per se, but I don't feel it's wise asset management to keep him up here at this production level. I would imagine a guy like Bear could fill in the spot just fine. That contract is going to be so important for us going forward, gonna be a good player

Yeah kinda leaning this way too. Was nice to see him score, but I think it would be for the best to send him down. I think he's gotten a very good taste of NHL hockey and will be ready to go next year, and not using a year of his ELC helps us a lot especially if Seattle wavers on when they want to enter the league.

I hope Benning is not a total tire fire when he comes back. Todd needs to keep him on the bottom pairing with softer minutes. Bear should get a look at some point too.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If you won't answer a question I'm out.

Have a good night.

You asked me if I wanted the Oilers to give Bouchard the Puljujarvi treatment. I am not sure how asking you what you mean by that before I answer is unfair.

Also...your question about me answering if the Oilers have done a good job on prospects has no context because its unfairly too general. You need to be specific with dmen IMO because thats what we are talking about here.
A general question about prospects (which includes players prior to this Management teams arrival) isnt really relevant to Bouchards situation.

Cheers though.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Which defensman have the Oilers have rushed as a rookie?

The only one I can think of is Shultz and they moved him into the top 4 way too early.

They arent doing that with Bouchard.
They've rushed 3 of their past 4 first rounders into the NHL. None of Drai, Pulju or Yamamoto belonged in the NHL in their rookie years. They got it right with Yamamoto last season. Hopefully they get it right with Bouchard too.

And even with him playing 12 minutes a night he's still got the worst +/- on the team for d-men at -5 and it's not like he's exactly killing it offensively. Tonight was his first point.

I see so little benefit in keeping him up. Both for the team and the player. Ethan Bear can step in and play these 12 minutes just as easily. And he's more suited for it right now imo. And there is so much risk with keeping Bouchard here. Both for the team and the player.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They've rushed 3 of their past 4 first rounders into the NHL. None of Drai, Pulju or Yamamoto belonged in the NHL in their rookie years. They got it right with Yamamoto last season. Hopefully they get it right with Bouchard too.

And even with him playing 12 minutes a night he's still got the worst +/- on the team for d-men at -5 and it's not like he's exactly killing it offensively. Tonight was his first point.

I see so little benefit in keeping him up. Both for the team and the player. Ethan Bear can step in and play these 12 minutes just as easily. And he's more suited for it right now imo. And there is so much risk with keeping Bouchard here. Both for the team and the player.

They didnt rush Yamamoto..they sent him back in his first year of NHL eligibility. He may still go to the AHL this season so that example doesnt apply.
Draisaitl has turned out pretty good but he played before this management team had an influence.
Puljujarvi (it could be argued) was rushed IMO but I dont understand how that is relevant to Bouchard.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They didnt rush Yamamoto..they sent him back in his first year of NHL eligibility. He may still go to the AHL this season so that example doesnt apply.
Draisaitl has turned out pretty good but he played before this management team had an influence.
Puljujarvi (it could be argued) was rushed IMO but I dont understand how that is relevant to Bouchard.
It's relevant because they're all players who got NHL games as teenagers when they weren't ready. Bouchard is in the same boat. He's not ready.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
It's relevant because they're all players who got NHL games as teenagers when they weren't ready. Bouchard is in the same boat. He's not ready.

To be fair tonite is the only game where he showed he is not ready..or a bad game

His resume thus far has been fine....and his -5 is not on him. Tonite yes, but those others were not his fault

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Send him down but Todd needs to freaking understand.

You. Cannot. Play. Benning. On. Your. Second. Pairing. Stop It. Just Stop.

Play him on the bottom pair, and let Bear have some games too.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Problem with Bear is Bouchard has been way better on the cycle winning battles w/ his bodty than Bear has ever shown

Seems the only argument to bring up Bear is b/c of his seniority..but Bear got lit up in reg season on cycles and man to man play

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Problem with Bear is Bouchard has been way better on the cycle winning battles w/ his bodty than Bear has ever shown

Seems the only argument to bring up Bear is b/c of his seniority..but Bear got lit up in reg season on cycles and man to man play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig