2. HUN
3. ITA
4. GBR

1. KAZ
2. SLO
3. HUN
4. GBR

Another fluke win by GB!

Basically, all we need is one point to be dropped by Kazakhstan or won by us. Then you’d see a backwater hockey minnow playing Canada, USA and/or Russia.

Reactions: ukyote

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Agreed but you have to say sitting at the top of the group with one left is quite literally unbelievable!

True. It will mean a lot more to someone like @Darren Peng than myself as he follows UK hockey and knows a lot about it. But it is brilliant and pleasing to see nonetheless.

Reactions: ukyote

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
There's even an outside chance GB could lose to Hungary, in regulation, and still be promoted (barring a loss of more than 4 goals apart, but they didn't get this far to get ripped by Hungary 4-0 or worse), but it'd require either a Kazakhstan not win in regulation against Poland (very unlikely, I'd think) or the Italy - Slovenia game to go into OT (quite possible).

The best thing to do is to, of course, just get to OT and then it doesn't matter what happens next. That's if I've worked the tie-breaking math correctly.

Kiev the Great

Aug 21, 2014
There's even an outside chance GB could lose to Hungary, in regulation, and still be promoted (barring a loss of more than 4 goals apart, but they didn't get this far to get ripped by Hungary 4-0 or worse), but it'd require either a Kazakhstan not win in regulation against Poland (very unlikely, I'd think) or the Italy - Slovenia game to go into OT (quite possible).

The best thing to do is to, of course, just get to OT and then it doesn't matter what happens next. That's if I've worked the tie-breaking math correctly.

If Kazakhstan and Hungary win in regulation but Italy and Slovenia go to OT, GB would be out as the tie break sub group would be 6 points to Kazakhstan and 3 each to GB and Hungary which means it then goes to goal difference where GB would lose.

GB need Kazakhstan to drop points or to pick up at least one themselves.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
If Kazakhstan and Hungary win in regulation but Italy and Slovenia go to OT, GB would be out as the tie break sub group would be 6 points to Kazakhstan and 3 each to GB and Hungary which means it then goes to goal difference where GB would lose.

GB need Kazakhstan to drop points or to pick up at least one themselves.

You're right, I thought it was overall GD but it's just GD between H2H teams (or basically H2H points), as per Information

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Holy **** i predicted yesterday's game's spot on.

(i still say, FA is doing **** job compared what they are doing, have done for several years, more than just relatively speaking,
anyone can argue with that all day, i don't care, you know i'm right, deep down, you know i'm right )

PS. even if they were lucky (which i don't think so), who cares, hockey needs something like this to happen.

Temidy

Dec 12, 2017
GBR & ITA can be promoted
SLO, HUN & KAZ can be promoted or relegated
POL can be relegated
Slovenia cant be relagated.

Kazakhstan wins in any way or loses in overtime, Poland gets relegated.
Poland wins in regular time, Kazakhstan gets relegated, unless...
... Poland wins in regular time, Italy wins in regular time and GB wins in regular time - Hungary gets relegated.

Wining scenarios are way to many to consider them all for me :). Main thing is that GB and Slovenia have their fate in their own hands, others have to rely on other results too (some more, some less).

And big grats to GB team, amazing stuff. Huge surprise for me (and i think for most of us), but definitely deserved.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Great Britain has only been in the top division of the World Championships once since 1962 (in 1994). Would be REALLY cool to see them in top division next year. Hoping they can get a point out of Hungary tmw to clinch it. It's nice to see in the past couple of years some new teams stepping up (maybe Great Britain next year, South Korea this year, Hungary last year, etc) rather than the same 4/5 teams we saw in and out of world championships going back and forth for the previous years.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Cheering for Romania today. They played well throughout the tournament and their hockey is in healthier shape than Criatian one. They deserve to stay.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
It'd be much easier if Poland can come back and win :D

Would be gutting if GB don't get promotion but IIHF says there's a 91% chance they will.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Romania sends Croatia back to where it was before Cronuck era took place. in 1A meanwhile Starchenko has scored a hattrick against Poland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad