2018 Cup predictions

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I don't want to sound bias but I think the Kings will surprise many this year. They're a great team just got sick of Sutter. They were still a top 5 defensive team and should be better offensively with new system. I say one of Blackhawks, Pens or Kings take the cup again.

At this point making it out of the first round would be the ultimate surprise story for the Kings.

Talon70

May 23, 2012
Honolulu, HI
At this point making it out of the first round would be the ultimate surprise story for the Kings.

The Kings Stanley Cups core is still there. The Kings lack the depth they had a few years ago but if they can stay healthy and play inspired hockey they'll be in the mix.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
The Kings Stanley Cups core is still there. The Kings lack the depth they had a few years ago but if they can stay healthy and play inspired hockey they'll be in the mix.

The Kings were 25th in goals scored in 6th in goals against. They were "tired" of Sutter who really did a phenomenal job with the team he had assembled.

So they go in a different direction and hire John Stevens who is gonna open it up a bit.

22nd in the league last year with a forward grouping that is old and slow and basically done. Open it up? You're headed for a lottery pick this year unless Quick has an all world performance. Even then, you probably won't sniff the playoffs.

Unless big change occur this offseason the Kings are done.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The Kings were 25th in goals scored in 6th in goals against. They were "tired" of Sutter who really did a phenomenal job with the team he had assembled.

So they go in a different direction and hire John Stevens who is gonna open it up a bit.

22nd in the league last year with a forward grouping that is old and slow and basically done. Open it up? You're headed for a lottery pick this year unless Quick has an all world performance. Even then, you probably won't sniff the playoffs.

Agreed. I just worded my post the way I did to not trigger Kings fans lol :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

The Kings have missed the playoffs in 2 of the last 3 years and were eliminated in 5 games in the year they made it. I don't really see how "they'll be in the mix" unless you're just insanely biased. The Kings just really aren't a good team, insanely shallow beyond their top guys, littered with bad contracts and pretty injury prone overall (although that's mostly Gaborik, who also falls in the "bad contracts" category). And considering they did things like trade the 13th overall pick, the equivalent of another 1st rounder and a decent young defensemen for 1 year of Lucic, I don't think they'll be improving much anytime soon.

Speedo

Mar 14, 2005
He's a good goalie but not a great goaltender. True, he had a good season, but he'll be 30. Goalies start to decline after 30 & I never thought his upside was all that great. To win the Cup, you need great goaltending & I don't think he's the guy to provide it.

30 is not old for a goalie, particularly one with low mileage like Talbot. Combined with his attitude, maturity and work ethic you sell him short with your generalization. Oilers might not win a Cup with Talbot in net but it won't be because of goaltending.

Next season I think it's Nashville vs Washington.

Wild-Sabres

For Your Health.
Jan 20, 2007
Sartell, MN
Since it's only June and predicting what the Cup Final will be is bananas, what I'd personally like to see is any combination of 2 Canadian teams play each other since it's been nearly 25 years since a team from up North has won it. Edmonton-Ottawa would be cool with me.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
West is impossible to predict. Could be anyone except Arizona, Colorado, Vancouver and Vegas.

From the East, Pittsburgh is the team to beat.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah

There's no such thing as being done. I'm remember most people writing off the Pens a few years ago. And heck, SJ got close.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I think a riser like Oilers, Toronto, CBJ have an outside shot. Maybe Carolina too if they make a big move up front.

I would include the Jets here but every year on paper, they have a good group of talent but never perform well. Their fanbase is still new to hockey, so you have to take what even the most rationale/knowledgable say with a grain of salt. It's generally always the bottom pairing, bottom 6, coaching, goaltending that are the make or break but the story is a bit exaggerated. I think in the past it was a core issue as well (Buff, Wheeler, Ladd, Enstrom, etc.).......but it's being fixed now, to an extent, with Scheifele and Trouba emerging and obviously, Laine last year (+ potential emerging talents like Morrissey, Connor, etc.) I'd say at this point, they are like a honorable mention for a surprise and only because of their young talent. They probably need at minimum, 1 run of experience, before they can be considered someone with an outside shot to be a contender.

Then you have the typical, veteran contenders in the west like the Ducks, Preds, Hawks, Blues in the West. I'm not sold on the Wild.

Tampa/Pitts in the east.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Not one picked the Penguins for the Cup. Almost all the predictions were horribly wrong, and hilarious in retrospect.

Caps over Hawks was a popular bet here too.

The worst to me is the zero variance. Like seriously only one of 20 people (Habs over Oilers) was going for the outlier. Everyone else went with RS Conference winners. Either facing each other or whooping the Wild or Pens? I got so freaking bored halfway through that list.
Just go and guess something. Ducks over Leafs. IDEC. It's not like Habs pick is looking any dumber than the rest now anyway.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The reality is they did not reach the WCF. If we are going with what should have happened... Then Pittsburgh probably doesn't even win the cup. However, the reality is... Well, they did.

Getting better alone doesn't mean much. Washington arguably got better. We all saw what happened to them. Again, I'm not saying Edmonton is weak or anything like that; they have the potential to do it, but I simply don't understand how they can be favored so heavily. There is no reason for that. "Contenders are getting worse whereas Edmonton have been getting better" is a weak argument, at least to consider them second main candidate for Stanley Cup. It's not like NHL is a league dominated by a couple of teams. You can easily count five or six teams as possible contenders. Edmonton is surely among them but I see no reason why they're considered to be better than, say, Tampa Bay, at this stage.

Also it should be kept in mind that Oilers have done a fantastic job, which means regressing is just as possible as moving forward with some players. Similar to Toronto. As things stand now, I'd be really surprised if Oilers made it to the SCF, let alone winning it. However, with a couple of trades, they can turn into an extremely scary team - this is when they should be considered one of the main candidates to win it all.

Agreed with this 100%. I don't think the Oilers should be penciled in yet amongst the Cup favorites. They had a lot of good fortune along the way last season with health and about 5 players carrying the team most of the season. Regression is a real possibility next season if they keep the roster relatively the same.

Sometimes young teams take a step back after a breakout season before they take a big leap forward. Same applies to the Leafs. It's different when you're the hunted, they won't sneak up on anybody this season.

I could see teams like Dallas and Florida having a big bounce back. Winnipeg always seems like a team that is on the verge of a big break out and they are a force when they are on their game so maybe this is the year.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Pens on paper are easily best team in league. However, what will their motivation be like?
2016 - Impeccable
2017 - Chinks in the armor
2018 - ??

I dunno. How motivated will Sid and company be to repeat after they already repeated?

Have you ever watched Crosby play? There isn't a more motivated player in the league with the will to win....

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
30 is not old for a goalie, particularly one with low mileage like Talbot. Combined with his attitude, maturity and work ethic you sell him short with your generalization. Oilers might not win a Cup with Talbot in net but it won't be because of goaltending.

Next season I think it's Nashville vs Washington.

The Oilers will not sniff the Final with Talbot in goal. Again, he's not a bad goaltender, but he's not the guy to get you there. And if they play the Pens (& we are healthy), we will smoke them....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad