2018 Calder Trophy - Mathew Barzal

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
A Calder thread without 50 pages is a breath of fresh air.

What a season for Barzal.

Reactions: My3Sons

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Very deserved.

It will be fun to see who the homer votes are from.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Who wants to dive into the season long Calder thread and pull out some fun hot takes?

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Snow was such an idiot, he just traded Reihart to draft Barzal and then ignored the pressure to trade a package centered around Barzal for Duchene. Between that and holding onto Josh Bailey, Snow was underrated. Aside from the Vanek deal he was ok in my books.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Snow was such an idiot, he just traded Reihart to draft Barzal and then ignored the pressure to trade a package centered around Barzal for Duchene. Between that and holding onto Josh Bailey, Snow was underrated. Aside from the Vanek deal he was ok in my books.
Either way, the good news is that Snow and his odd tendencies(no respect for goalies or defensemen) is gone!

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
A Calder thread without 50 pages is a breath of fresh air.

What a season for Barzal.

That's because Barzal won it. If he did not, theres your 50 pages. The amount of naysayers this year was insane, I've never seen such an effort from fans to discredit a young player with such a dynamic skillset. Now they've all gone into hibernation or back to worshipping their Mitch Marner shrine.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That's because Barzal won it. If he did not, theres your 50 pages. The amount of naysayers this year was insane, I've never seen such an effort from fans to discredit a young player with such a dynamic skillset. Now they've all gone into hibernation or back to worshipping their Mitch Marner shrine.

You're letting this bother you much more than it should.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
You're letting this bother you much more than it should.

I'm not bothered in the least, elated to finally have another elite player on the Isles. Just simply stating that in my 20 years of following pro sports, I cannot recall a ROTY's accomplishments being undermined to the degree that Barzals had this year. Just an observation, by the way, can you sign the cover of Newsday for me, the one that says Mat Trick?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

Aside from wasting the whole 2013-2014 season, he was below-average. Without the Barzal move he'd be in Milbury territory.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Did you somehow miss all the 3446 Matthews/Laine threads last season?

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
The question is which is worse:
  • Trading the pick that became Calder Trophy winner Mat Barzal for Griffin Reinhart
    or
  • Trading Hart Trophy winner Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson

Definitely acquiring Griffin Reinhart, who busted with the Oilers and then couldn't make a Vegas expansion squad (albeit a good team) for the picks that became Matt Barzal and Anthony Beauvillier. (At least he was the player taken by GMGM in expansion.) The former is a top line forward and the latter is very serviceable as a second- or third-line NHL player. At least the Taylor Hall trade filled a need on defense, and Larsson is +31 as an Oiler (+10 last season). The problem for the Oilers was a lack of depth in the bottom of the lineup.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Jim Thomas, St. Louis Post Dispatch had a brain injury:
Keller
DeBrincat
Barzal

Gann Matsuda of Frozen Royalty (?) had Gourde first.
Guessing Jim Thomas is some kind of USA homer? But even then why'd he put DeBrincat over McAvoy/Boeser?

That Matsuda idiot should just have to retire in shame. Dishonorable discharge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad