2018 Calder Trophy - Mathew Barzal

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Just a friendly reminder that the pick used to select Barzal was traded by the Oilers for Griffin Reinhardt.

No much worse than that, the oilers also gave up the 33rd pick overall in that deal in which the islanders parlayed into Anthony Beuvillier. And if the oilers did not take Barzal? There was a HOST of other great players they could have taken.

Worse trade in the history of the oilers imo and chia himself has about 3 in the running in his short time here.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
No much worse than that, the oilers also gave up the 33rd pick overall in that deal in which the islanders parlayed into Anthony Beuvillier. And if the oilers did not take Barzal? There was a HOST of other great players they could have taken.

Worse trade in the history of the oilers imo and chia himself has about 3 in the running in his short time here.

You do know that the Oilers traded Wayne Gretzky, right?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Best rookie performance since Malkin. Wow .

Really amazing. Although Stastny and Kane had great rookie years too that approach this. But after those two, I can't think of anyone else....Barzal will be an elite player for a long time. I don't get how he went 16th in the draft. Everyone knew that he was this good.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Congrats to Barzal, for all the stat buffs out there, this is an excellent read:

Mathew Barzal: The Center Behind John Tavares

Now. Before all you Saltwater Creatures infiltrate the thread and talk about how he was "sheltered" and "teams will adjust", this debunks that BS.

Also interesting, historically speaking, Calder winners have maintained a high level of play and some have elevated themselves to superstar status, this idea that #13 is some kind of flash in a pan is pure comedy.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
All I have to ask is who are the 4 voters who didn't vote Barzal 1st, even bigger question is which idiot voted him 3rd?

Someone who hates the New York Islanders
Barzal is an amazing talent. Let's hope he doesn't go through a sophomore slump. (Or does, depending on who you root for)

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Just a friendly reminder that the pick used to select Barzal was traded by the Oilers for Griffin Reinhardt.

The question is which is worse:
  • Trading the pick that became Calder Trophy winner Mat Barzal for Griffin Reinhart
    or
  • Trading Hart Trophy winner Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson

Last edited:
Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Just think about how good the Bruins could have been if they took the consensus picks that year. Add Barzal and Connor and Bruins would be more than a 1 line team. DeBrusk have done fine so far at least. Zboril was rated around where they took him I guess, but Chabot looks like the better pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad