Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2009
éal
We have a potential of 8 players in the U20 worlds. Poehling, Ikonen, Kotkaniemi, Ylonen, Romanov, Olofsson, and Brook. I guess Primeau has a shot as well? Don't think I am missing anybody am I?

Don't imagine all 8 are there but we should have a few for sure. All 8 would be impressive!
I was thinking about this as well. Habs season will probably be painful to follow but at least we'll get a glimpse of hope in December with that tournament.

Thing with Ikonen is he's out for 6 months, starting june. So if that timeline is correct and he recover fully for december, he will still need an adaptation period... not sure if he will make the team if he's rusty. Who knows.. but Poehling, Kotkaniemi, Ylonen are locks, and I'm pretty sure Romanov, Olofsson and Brook will make it. I dont know americans goalie prospects to know about Primeau.

edit : well look like montreal answered all of our questions! good to know

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm not sure if you're making a joke or something, but just in case - none of the highlights in my video are sped up. They're all recorded from live play. Replays are slowed down sometimes, that's about it.

I originally created that YT channel because I was tired of the highlight videos with music dubbed over it or someone thought a lens flare every 10 seconds would look super sick. Some people just wanna watch highlights.

really great job on those Ylonen vids. :thumbu::clap::cheers:

Reactions: Redux91

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
i'll start off by saying that i havent seen Ylonen in person,or that many videos for that matter.

But...

This hype reminds me so much of Avstin, DeLa Rose, Reway, and the latest Ikonen. All these guys were so fast,skilled,sleeper picks etc etc. They all amounted to nothing so far, despite people clammering we got steals.

But lets wait a couple years before we say Ylonen was the steal of the draft or better than the Kotka pick.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
i'll start off by saying that i havent seen Ylonen in person,or that many videos for that matter.

But...

This hype reminds me so much of Avstin, DeLa Rose, Reway, and the latest Ikonen. All these guys were so fast,skilled,sleeper picks etc etc. They all amounted to nothing so far, despite people clammering we got steals.

But lets wait a couple years before we say Ylonen was the steal of the draft or better than the Kotka pick.
De la rose was never considered skilled. Reway looked amazing till he has his life threatening injury which u cant blame him for.
Ikonen is still a great prospect. I dont know what you are trying to suggest of him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
From what I saw today Ylonen should compete for top spot in Habs prospects… His skills are off the chart, we Don't have an offensive gifted prospect like him in the system.

Any comparison of Ylonen this year with Ikonen last year? I saw Ikonen last year but didn't get to see Ylonen today.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Any comparison of Ylonen this year with Ikonen last year? I saw Ikonen last year but didn't get to see Ylonen today.

I like both quite a bit, but Ylonen has a bit more of everything, but mostly the speed at which he does everything.

Reactions: Maitz

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Not the same type of player, Ylonen looks like a shifty winger with great hands and quick release.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
De la rose was never considered skilled. Reway looked amazing till he has his life threatening injury which u cant blame him for.
Ikonen is still a great prospect. I dont know what you are trying to suggest of him.

DeLaRose was considered a skilled 2 way centerman with good skating. He was the leading scorer in Allveskan around his draft year.

Reway had blazing speed and skill. But didnt have the IQ or defensive mindset to be an effective AHL player,thats why he left back to the Czech,and that was right before he was diagnosed.

Ikonen is a decent prospect, not near the potential 1st line winger people were making him out to be. Steal of the draft they said.

It wasn't as much of a slight on the players above as it is on the people who at every draft, think we found the Zetterberg of that draft class.

Ylonen has great tools, but i'll wait a couple years to see how he progresses before labeling him steal of a player.

Reactions: 26Mats

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015
DeLaRose was considered a skilled 2 way centerman with good skating. He was the leading scorer in Allveskan around his draft year.

Reway had blazing speed and skill. But didnt have the IQ or defensive mindset to be an effective AHL player,thats why he left back to the Czech,and that was right before he was diagnosed.

Ikonen is a decent prospect, not near the potential 1st line winger people were making him out to be. Steal of the draft they said.

It wasn't as much of a slight on the players above as it is on the people who at every draft, think we found the Zetterberg of that draft class.

Ylonen has great tools, but i'll wait a couple years to see how he progresses before labeling him steal of a player.

he left the Q to go back to czech because he needed the money for his family, it had nothing to do with hockey iq, he was a very good junior player at 17 and was point per game in czech at 18

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Wrong. He scored just 12 points.

Wrong again. He had his life threatening injury before his first AHL season. He was amazing before then. Ppg across all men leagues and posted ridiculous numbers in the U20s.

Never a top liner. His potential is that of a second liner.

See above.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
See above.

De La Rose was the leading rookie scorer with 12 pts in his draft year. Look it up. He also had great U16 to U18 tournies.

I admit to getting the timeline wrong with Reway, it doesnt change the fact people hyped him up to be the second coming.

Ikonen will probably never crack a top 6 in his career,from what we have seen so far.

We can argue the very small details, the point is people hype our prospects up way too much. How about giving them a few yrs and see how they do

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
De La Rose was the leading rookie scorer with 12 pts in his draft year. Look it up. He also had great U16 to U18 tournies.

I admit to getting the timeline wrong with Reway, it doesnt change the fact people hyped him up to be the second coming.

Ikonen will probably never crack a top 6 in his career,from what we have seen so far.

We can argue the very small details, the point is people hype our prospects up way too much. How about giving them a few yrs and see how they do

Why not do this with Ikonen then?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

at the draft their were lots of questions about DLR's offensive upside. Scouts liked just about everything else in his game. He still might turn into a decent 3rd liner which is more or less what he was tabbed to be unless his offensive game developed more.

Reway never had blazing speed, for his size he had more average speed. He was highly skilled though and I think he would have made the NHL if not for the illness. Julien would have hated him but his playmaking was elite.

Ikonen is still a work on progress, no telling what he will turn into. I know a few were really happy we drafted him last year and he clearly struggled this year but we'll see what happens to him.

But posters are here are always going to overrate prospects cause it's the nature of sports, people want to hope they will have a better future, it's always happened and is not likely to ever change. It's so hard to project how a 17/18 year old is going to do, plus there's always injuries or illnesses that hamper things that you just can't predict. But at the end of the day it's just fans having fun and doesn't have any impact on things. I don't have a clue what Ylonen will turn into, have only seen 4 games and while I'm really impressed with the speed and shot, only time will tell what we got.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012

What are you talking about with De La Rose?? He had 12 pts in 38 games in the Allsvenskan, he never led anything in scoring except maybe his pee wee team.
And no he didn't lead rookie scoring either I just looked it up.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
What are you talking about with De La Rose?? He had 12 pts in 38 games in the Allsvenskan, he never led anything in scoring except maybe his pee wee team.
And no he didn't lead rookie scoring either I just looked it up.

He was first in points for a U18 player in the Allvenskan.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I remember DLR being tabbed by MB or Timmins on draft day as "third liner you win with". We aimed low for a 3rd liner, we got a 4th liner

I appreciate Ylonen has athletic abilities and skills. DLR had athleticism without skills, Ikonen is skilled without much interesting athletic attributes

Last edited:

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
at the draft their were lots of questions about DLR's offensive upside. Scouts liked just about everything else in his game. He still might turn into a decent 3rd liner which is more or less what he was tabbed to be unless his offensive game developed more.

Reway never had blazing speed, for his size he had more average speed. He was highly skilled though and I think he would have made the NHL if not for the illness. Julien would have hated him but his playmaking was elite.

Ikonen is still a work on progress, no telling what he will turn into. I know a few were really happy we drafted him last year and he clearly struggled this year but we'll see what happens to him.

But posters are here are always going to overrate prospects cause it's the nature of sports, people want to hope they will have a better future, it's always happened and is not likely to ever change. It's so hard to project how a 17/18 year old is going to do, plus there's always injuries or illnesses that hamper things that you just can't predict. But at the end of the day it's just fans having fun and doesn't have any impact on things. I don't have a clue what Ylonen will turn into, have only seen 4 games and while I'm really impressed with the speed and shot, only time will tell what we got.
Regarding ikonen, he played in the top league in Finland I believe. He struggled early but finished the season strong. I'm confident he will have a good season but too bad hes injured for 6 months

Reactions: Acadien86

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Regarding ikonen, he played in the top league in Finland I believe. He struggled early but finished the season strong. I'm confident he will have a good season but too bad hes injured for 6 months

yes he was, saw him a few times. Looked good despite the struggles, but has to get stronger, bulk up some for sure. Not sure how much upper body work he'll be able to get in while recovering from the knee injury over the next 6 months but anything to get stronger will help.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
yes he was, saw him a few times. Looked good despite the struggles, but has to get stronger, bulk up some for sure. Not sure how much upper body work he'll be able to get in while recovering from the knee injury over the next 6 months but anything to get stronger will help.
Yup. Lets hope habs and his Finnish team take good care of him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino