Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
But can he do what he's doing in European preseason at the NHL level or even AHL level?

Statistically, and historically.. not likely. We don't seem to have a high return rate from across the pond.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Statistically, and historically.. not likely. We don't seem to have a high return rate from across the pond.

All we need is one. Timmins was accused of looking too much at northern U.S. hockey players, particularly Minnesota and people complained that it didn't pay dividends. Then McDonagh and Pacioretty emerged.

Recently he seems to be looking a lot at Finland and Sweeden for forwards. So far Lehkonen looks good, De la Rose bad. We'll see about Kotkaniemi, Ylonnen, Olufsen, and Ikonen. I'll be happy if just one is a McDonagh or Pacioretty level player.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
All we need is one. Timmins was accused of looking too much at northern U.S. hockey players, particularly Minnesota and people complained that it didn't pay dividends. Then McDonagh and Pacioretty emerged.

Recently he seems to be looking a lot at Finland and Sweeden for forwards. So far Lehkonen looks good, De la Rose bad. We'll see about Kotkaniemi, Ylonnen, Olufsen, and Ikonen. I'll be happy if just one is a McDonagh or Pacioretty level player.

I thought we had something special in Lekhonen, but what happened last year?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

DLR is a NHL player, he cant be deemed bad.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He can be deemed a bad NHLer though, even though, Lehkonen aside, the 2nd round of the 2013 draft was poor.
Is he really though ? He's 23, he's shown he can produce 20ish points in the NHL while being a defensively responsible center, he showed he could produce in the AHL, even with him getting the yo-yo treatment, he's shown he can play internationally.

He's likely never going to be more than a bottom sixer, but it doesn't mean he's a "bad" player.

Could the pick have been better ? Sure.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Is he really though ? He's 23, he's shown he can produce 20ish points in the NHL while being a defensively responsible center, he showed he could produce in the AHL, even with him getting the yo-yo treatment, he's shown he can play internationally.

He's likely never going to be more than a bottom sixer, but it doesn't mean he's a "bad" player.

Could the pick have been better ? Sure.

I've never been really impressed with his play. He looks good when he's on a line with top players, but that seems like a waste of top players.

His on-ice impacts are brutal. He doesn't really produce much apart from secondary assists. He doesn't really do much of anything.

Sure, he could always make a leap forward, but he's not really even a mediocre 4th liner right now.

I'm also not even sure the pick could have reasonably been much better without knowing Montreal's list. Zykov maybe? Or Hagg? Compher as a real stretch?

Reactions: muzion

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I've never been really impressed with his play. He looks good when he's on a line with top players, but that seems like a waste of top players.

His on-ice impacts are brutal. He doesn't really produce much apart from secondary assists. He doesn't really do much of anything.

Sure, he could always make a leap forward, but he's not really even a mediocre 4th liner right now.

I'm also not even sure the pick could have reasonably been much better without knowing Montreal's list. Zykov maybe? Or Hagg? Compher as a real stretch?
Yeah, Zykov has the potential to really breakout this season. Could give a run to Lehk for his money as the best second round player out of that draft.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, Zykov has the potential to really breakout this season. Could give a run to Lehk for his money as the best second round player out of that draft.

oh wow. didn't realize Zykov was still relevant. He really picked it up of late it looks like.

It's just weird how all of us we're screaming for Zykov and of course we have to pass on him twice.

A lot of times the 'average joe' fan is right. Still early obviously but Zykov's stats are pretty impressive last year. Real upside. It seems like we turned a corner drafting wise in that department though.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
oh wow. didn't realize Zykov was still relevant. He really picked it up of late it looks like.

It's just weird how all of us we're screaming for Zykov and of course we have to pass on him twice.

A lot of times the 'average joe' fan is right. Still early obviously but Zykov's stats are pretty impressive last year. Real upside. It seems like we turned a corner drafting wise in that department though.
I don't blame you, I only know him closely cuz I pay wayyyyyy too much attention on these type of details for my hockey pools :laugh: My friends think I should get help but hey, I gotta put that knowledge to good use ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad