Value of: 2018 1st overall pick: What would your team be willing to give up?

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
If Buffalo gets the 1st op (which will never happen), The only trade I could see making is to AZ if they'd trade OEL and there top 5 pick.

So if AZ offered something around

1st op
2019 2nd
Wilds 2018 3rd
Bogoasian

For

OEL (after Buffalo talks extension)
Top 5 pick.

I'd do it

Last edited:

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Brent Seabrook, Marian Hossa, Patrick Sharp, and Quenneveille's mustache.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
I can totally see Snow making an offer of Ho-Sang and the Islanders 2 1st rounders if the Islanders are not going to win it

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
There are a boatload of nothing offers here, that don't even come close to getting 1st overall in any year, let alone this year with Dahlin. Any offer, would have to be something that pretty much everyone agrees is an insane overpayment. Example: Det would probably have to offer up Larkin, Mantha and their high-end 1st in 2018 (Top 6) to get the other team thinking deal, and even then probably doesn't get it done.

A boatload of nothing offers?
-Offer of Draisaitl & 1st
-Offer of Horvat & 1st
-Offer of Nylander, Liljigren, 1st & Sparks

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
1st
Nylander

I don't think I could go for much more then that.

I mean what happens if he busts?

Because of how low that pick will be, that's pretty far off from what I think is fair value. I think the Leaf offer of Nylander, Liljigren, 1st and Sparks is probably more accurate (not that I'd ever do this deal)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
A boatload of nothing offers?
-Offer of Draisaitl & 1st
-Offer of Horvat & 1st
-Offer of Nylander, Liljigren, 1st & Sparks

Exactly! What GM in their right mind gives up first overall on a player with the hype of Dahlin, for Draisaitl and a 1st (and that is one of the better offers in this thread)(doesn't even move the needle of interest at all), answer is none! Heck, even in a weak draft like a Yakupov draft, the 1st overall doesn't and didn't get traded.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Here's the last 5 first round picks: Hischier, Matthews, McDavid, Ekblad, MacKinnon.

Does Dahlin belong in that group? Or the three before that: Yakupov, RNH, Hall.

If my team's scouts were certain Dahlin could have a long prime at the level of guys like Niedermayer, Keith or Doughty, I'd be all in.

Trouba and Connor could be a starting point. If scouts were 100%, would even consider Laine, as painful as that would be.

ItMe

Jan 4, 2017
2018 1st overall pick: What would your team be willing to give up?

With Dahlin slated to go #1, we're talking about a guy with Connor McDavid/Auston Matthews pedigree and hype.

What would your team be willing to give up in order to acquire the 1st overall of 2018?

Simmonds + Both 1st Rd Picks + Morin or Myers + a pretty please to take MacDonald as well

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
A lot of the proposals in here are a joke. You're talking about 3 ELC years and 7 years of team control of a player with near McDavid level hype. It's going to have to be a proposal that hurts, hurts a lot.
From the Oilers, it would be something like Draisaitl+2018 1st at minimum and I'm not willing to do that personally.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
So a second line center or a franchise D man.....
It's not even about value compared to a franchise D-man. It's about losing that important piece on a risk that would make people hesitate. If it bombs, it goes really bad for the team.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
One of Trouba or Ehlers depending on what your needs are + a 1st or any young player not named Connor/Roslo/Morrissey/Vesalainen/Morrissey/Sheif/Hellebucyk

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Exactly! What GM in their right mind gives up first overall on a player with the hype of Dahlin, for Draisaitl and a 1st (and that is one of the better offers in this thread)(doesn't even move the needle of interest at all), answer is none! Heck, even in a weak draft like a Yakupov draft, the 1st overall doesn't and didn't get traded.
I'd take Drai and the Oilers first for 1OA all day every day. Drai is a proven commodity though his contract isn't great, and their pick could be 2OA. The Dahlin hype is beyond insane.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
2018 1st overall pick: What would your team be willing to give up?

With Dahlin slated to go #1, we're talking about a guy with Connor McDavid/Auston Matthews pedigree and hype.

What would your team be willing to give up in order to acquire the 1st overall of 2018?

Lol ... no one knows since no one here is a GM.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
From Edmonton, Everything and anything not named Mcdavid, with Mcdavid/Dahlin you can pretty much just plug in mediocre throughout and still compete

Though Drai + our top 10 pick probably gets the convo started. Most Oiler fans would say no, but I’d do it in a heart beat
Well Edmonton is going to win the lottery obviously so why bother discussing what you need to give up.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Jake Gardiner (entering into UFA year - should be able to flip for a 1st rounder at next years trade deadline)
William Nylander
Timothy Liljegren
2018 1st round pick (Leafs)
2019 2nd round pick (Leafs)

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Dahlin is one of the best if the the best defensive prospect ever.

This yrs draft could be a real game changer for any franchise that wins. First real superstar since Mcdavid draft.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Well Edmonton is going to win the lottery obviously so why bother discussing what you need to give up.

It’s funny you say that, because the exact lottery system that was redesigned, practically because of the oilers, is designed to reward them at current state. Which is a bottom feeding team that is currently winning games still and not intentionally tanking,outside of last night obviously, but I think they were 7-2-1 in there last 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad