2018-19 Roster talk; Part three

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Only problem is we don't really have a replacement for Gudas right now.

If Fletcher is smart, the D in a month or two could look like:

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-Myers

If Gudas is gone, then one of Hagg, Mac, or Folin would remain in the top 6.

Season is over, I don’t mind Folin coming in for Gudas. Get Farmer out eventually and add Morin and Myers

Provy Sanheim
Morin Ghost
Haag Myers
Folin

Reactions: DaphneLion

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Only problem is we don't really have a replacement for Gudas right now.

If Fletcher is smart, the D in a month or two could look like:

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-Myers

If Gudas is gone, then one of Hagg, Mac, or Folin would remain in the top 6.

Definitely true. I would hope a trade for him wouldn't be a singular move but part of a roster purge.

I'm definitely fine with keeping him. He's not a problem and solid enough in the middle pair. I'm not interested in trading him for a 2nd and third either. f*** that, we need players, not picks that will impact in 3 years.

mize370

Nov 2, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
I think its time for the office boys to figure out who they want here moving forward and shopping those that they know will not be. Prospect or not. This is not working right now.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I’m not saying my feeling is correct, I just have never felt closer to wanting to blow it up. Get G to a contender. It’s possible we could have a few lottery picks. Really, if they make 3 trades now, one signing in the offseason and a new coach they could be a cup contender. Just seems so far right now.

I really wonder if that number is above 90% with amac off this team for a real defender.

In fairness to Fletch, he has been on the job 1 month in which some of that there was a trade freeze. I would rather he be careful and make the right moves to make us better, than go crazy and make wrong ones...like Chiarelli just did.

He absolutely should be cut now that he has been charged.

He is accused of buying coke. Get him the **** away from the team.

Fletch has been in charge for 4 weeks. Hextall was in charge for over 4 years.

I’m not upset about Fletch not doing anything as fast as he can, more so about homer and Dave making it seem like hextall had all of these choices of moves that he sat on. And then leaking stuff and flat out talking about stuff that hextall did or didn’t do bc hextall didn’t ask homer for advice. Is there a good hockey mind out there that would ask for Paul Holmgrens advice?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Season is over, I don’t mind Folin coming in for Gudas. Get Farmer out eventually and add Morin and Myers

Provy Sanheim
Morin Ghost
Haag Myers
Folin

I mean for next year too. He's signed until the summer of 2020 and I have no problem with him remaining on the team until we NEED room, which we likely won't next year.

Plus, I think it's important Sanheim plays on the left side instead of right. He's much better on the left, even though he can play the right too. The Sanheim-Gudas pair was very good this year so I see no reason to change it

Reactions: Stizzle

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Myers coming up for AMac should be done after this road trip.
Trade Folin. Every contender wants a 27 year old, 6'3, 200lb RHD only being paid $800,000
Trade Raffl...recall NAK.
Trade Simmonds. His value could be all over the map.

These moves can be done right now. No need to wait. But we have 10 games between now and Jan 19th. We then have 9 days until the next game.

I trade Gudas if the return makes sense. You know in the summer, or next year, you can always get a 2nd for him so I don't trade him now unless it's more than that. Try and get a team to overpay because they get him for 2 playoff runs instead of 1.

And be open to deal others if it makes sense short term and long term. As others have said, I am not trading Jake for picks. But if it's for the right kind of young player and a pick...I listen. I then become a big buyer in the summer to replace Jake. Just spitballin'.

Maybe multiple goalies become healthy and we can trade 1 to a contender wanting depth...like the Leafs just did for Hutch.

All moves should be in attempt to put together the best team possible for next year.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
It’s certainly possible to put together a contender for next year. However, Chuck has to make the right moves. The roster, as it is, is fundamentally broken, and it falls on the core, and the pieces around the core. Both need a shakeup. Make a trade to shakeup the core, and shed the dead weight and bring up guys like NAK, and Myers. Get them minutes now, see how they do, and if they succeed, give them bigger roles for next year.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think over the next 6 months, in an ideal world the Flyers:

Trade Simmonds for solid young, close to NHL ready talent.
Trade Weal and Folin near deadline for whatever can get.
Buy-out AMac in summer.
Let Lehtera and Neuvirth walk.

In regards to others:

I'd keep Gudas unless a great offer comes in.
Raffl... potentially re-sign for 4th line role.
Weise is fine as a 13th forward even if contract sucks.
Elliott... only think about bringing back on 1yr deal if they cannot get say Howard, Miller, Talbot on similar short deal.

Reactions: mdm815 and Hakroach

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
IMO the core can survive. A lot of posters on either side of the fence. It's not going to be "proven" until:

1. Coaching changes - Head coach, PK and PP.

Then the special teams coaches need to obviously tweak the system and the players on it.

2. Jettison the junk and promote the kids. I don't think this needs explanation nor do most (if not all) agree to this.

3. Trade whom you can (see Tripods post)

4. Hopefully add a top FA like Panarin (not essential to "proving" the core is fine but it will help and also win games)

IF these things happen to a large degree AND the same results happen, I will get my spicy mustard ready to eat crow...

If it does "prove" the core is fine, I'll be getting that "eating popcorn" emoji ready...

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Hagg, Folin, MacDonald, Weal, Weise, Simmonds, Raffl, Varone, Neuvirth, Elliott are the players I’d consider trading. Everyone else should get a look until season’s end. The new coach can then evaluate best fits for the 2019-2020 Flyers.

I think Gudas is a fit on the team for a bit longer than he’s contracted. Might be interested in re-signing Raffl as well.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Buy-out AMac in summer.

In regards to others:

Elliott... only think about bringing back on 1yr deal if they cannot get say Howard, Miller, Talbot on similar short deal.
Honest question....why sign Raffl for 2 years 2.5 million(a realistic deal) when NAK has to clear waivers next year.

Re-signing Raffl just means NAK has no spot on the 4th line....or means Raffl is in the top 9. Where does everyone fit in that case...unless the plan is to move Laughton back to C for the year and Vorobyev is AHL bound for another year.

I just don't see how Raffl fits unless we strike out on every UFA forward we could want, and every prospect is held back. And if that happens, we a screwed anyways so why not play the kids with upside inside of a 30 year old to play possibly on the 4th line for 2.5 million. We have Weise for that if we want.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

Buy-out AMac in summer.

In regards to others:

Why buyout MacDonald? Can’t they just bury the contract in the AHL for the final season?

Reactions: BillDineen

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Hagg, Folin, MacDonald, Weal, Weise, Simmonds, Raffl, Varone, Neuvirth, Elliott are the players I’d consider trading. Everyone else should get a look until season’s end. The new coach can then evaluate best fits for the 2019-2020 Flyers.

I think Gudas is a fit on the team for a bit longer than he’s contracted. Might be interested in re-signing Raffl as well.

With Raffl for me it comes down to... can we replace him with a better player?

If next years 12 Fwds are:

Giroux - Couturier - Konency
van Riemsdyk - Patrick - Voracek
Lindblom - Frost - Laughton
xxxxxx - Vorobyev - Aube-Kubel

For example... can they fill that hole with a better player than Raffl?

I don't think Rubtsov will be quite ready to start the year...

Silfverberg, Donskoi, Sorensen are the guys outside the "top talent" in UFA who I think would be upgrades overall on Raffl, considering everything. They would likely push Laughton to the 4th line and play 3rd line, and make a damn good 3rd line. But Silfverberg will demand say $5m and ~3-4 years... I would be ok with that, but it is a commitment.

Hagelin for example is as good/better... but he will cost too much for age and demand years on deal.

Nyqvist and Lee are good players... but will cost a lot and not sure fit that well.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
With Raffl for me it comes down to... can we replace him with a better player?

If next years 12 Fwds are:

Giroux - Couturier - Konency
van Riemsdyk - Patrick - Voracek
Lindblom - Frost - Laughton
xxxxxx - Vorobyev - Aube-Kubel

For example... can they fill that hole with a better player than Raffl?

I don't think Rubtsov will be quite ready to start the year...

Silfverberg, Donskoi, Sorensen are the guys outside the "top talent" in UFA who I think would be upgrades overall on Raffl, considering everything. They would likely push Laughton to the 4th line and play 3rd line, and make a damn good 3rd line. But Silfverberg will demand say $5m and ~3-4 years... I would be ok with that, but it is a commitment.

Hagelin for example is as good/better... but he will cost too much for age and demand years on deal.

Nyqvist and Lee are good players... but will cost a lot and not sure fit that well.
See, I get what you are saying. And I like Raffl and think he is under rated. 2 years ago I said that we would be in good shape if Raffl was on our 4th line.

But to me, with all of FA available, Allison, Laczynsi, Kase or anyone else we possibly make trades for, I just don't clog up a roster spot for a possible 2.5 million 4th liner. I believe someone will step into that spot from within, or via a FA.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Honest question....why sign Raffl for 2 years 2.5 million(a realistic deal) when NAK has to clear waivers next year.

Re-signing Raffl just means NAK has no spot on the 4th line....or means Raffl is in the top 9. Where does everyone fit in that case...unless the plan is to move Laughton back to C for the year and Vorobyev is AHL bound for another year.

I just don't see how Raffl fits unless we strike out on every UFA forward we could want, and every prospect is held back. And if that happens, we a screwed anyways so why not play the kids with upside inside of a 30 year old to play possibly on the 4th line for 2.5 million. We have Weise for that if we want.

I mean, in an ideal world they go out and get Panarin or Stone...

and if that does not happen say Silfverberg, Donskoi or Sorensen...

But if they cannot get those guys then Raffl is pretty much the cream of the crop in regards to bottom six wingers all things considered.

For me if they cannot get Panarin or Stone in an ideal world they get say:

Silfverberg $5m x 3 or Donskoi $3m x 2-3

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Raffl should be able to be replaced for less money no ??

Speed Speed Speed and Shoot first players is all we should be adding imo
See that's how I see it too.

I go after the big fish thru FA....or thru a trade too. I honestly don't want any of the mid/lower guys who get overpaid with term and cap hit.

I have always believed, overpay your stars/top players. Don't overpay the rest.

Example, I would rather overpay Panarin by 1 million to get him here and have NAK playing, then pay a Raffl and have 1 million less to pay a Panarin. Hope that makes sense...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad