2018-19 NWHL Season

Who wins the 2019 Isobel Cup?

• Total voters

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY

Storylines abound as the league moves towards its fourth season:

Will the Riveters successfully defend their Isobel Cup and become the first multi-championship team?
Will the Beauts allow anyone to score on them with Olympic-caliber goaltending?
The league's expanded for the first time - to the State of Hockey. How will the Whitecaps fare in their first season?

I look forward to some great discussion among the women's hockey fans here on HF. **Full disclaimer: I'm the public address announcer and music director for the Buffalo Beauts.**

Last edited:
Reactions: ckg927 and LaxSabre

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
"Storylines abound as the league moves towards its fourth season:

Will the Riveters successfully defend their Isobel Cup and become the first multi-championship team?
The league's expanded for the first time - to the State of Hockey. How will the Whitecaps fare in their first season?

I look forward to some great discussion among the women's hockey fans here on HF. **Full disclaimer: I'm the public address announcer and music director for the Buffalo Beauts.**"

What I want to know is does anyone really, really care?

Reactions: StrBender

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
You're missing a storyline: Will the league garner sufficient attendance and sponsorship to remain in existence, or will it fold mid-season?

Burgmania

Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
You're missing a storyline: Will the league garner sufficient attendance and sponsorship to remain in existence, or will it fold mid-season?

I think they will. They've come this far - in addition, they must have an infusion of capital to expand to Minnesota (the league bought the Whitecaps), as well as take care of air travel for each team to/from MSP. At least here in Buffalo, the Pegulas' purchase of the team has provided access to marketing and all sorts of things that are nothing but good for the league as a whole. The crowd for the playoff game against Boston was packed, boisterous, and outstanding.

Reactions: Makorov

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
As do I. I have followed the NWHL's admittedly slow growth since their inaugural season, and I've been encouraged by the recent partnerships the teams have made with NHL teams. The addition of the Whitecaps certainly should bring some financial stability to the League's members; they just need to stay the course with promotion and make smart decisions with their money & with their brand. Women's hockey in my experience can be as exciting & entertaining as the men's game at equivalent levels. I just wish they'd start their 2018-19 regular season schedule a couple of week's earlier than than last season, to give me a chance to take in a Whale home game in person as part of my New England hockey road trip. So, yes, I really, really care.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
"Storylines abound as the league moves towards its fourth season:

I look forward to some great discussion among the women's hockey fans here on HF. **Full disclaimer: I'm the public address announcer and music director for the Buffalo Beauts.**"

What I want to know is does anyone really, really care?

You cared enough to tell us that you don't care. That speaks volumes.

Burgmania

Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
The roster table in the OP has been updated with the recent signings. After a looooooong period of inactivity, the Connecticut Whale got on the board in a big way - with now seven names to their roster (matching the Metropolitan Riveters). The Beauts still lead the way with 14 players signed; while Boston has 5 under contract and the expansion Whitecaps have 3.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
The roster table in the OP has been updated with the recent signings. After a looooooong period of inactivity, the Connecticut Whale got on the board in a big way - with now seven names to their roster (matching the Metropolitan Riveters). The Beauts still lead the way with 14 players signed; while Boston has 5 under contract and the expansion Whitecaps have 3.

Make that 15; Emily Janiga has re-upped with the Beauts.

Burgmania

Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Make that 15; Emily Janiga has re-upped with the Beauts.

I have to say I'm happy about that one - we have to wonder how one of the CWHL Chinese teams contracting will impact available players for both the NWHL and CHWL next season.

In additional news, the Minnesota Whitecaps have named their co-head coaches: Ronda Curtin Engelhardt and Jack Brodt, with assistant coach Laura Slominski (all have had prior involvement with the Whitecaps). Boston has brought back Dana Trivigno; and the Metro Riveters re-signed three core defenders in Courtney Burke, Michelle Picard, and Jenny Ryan.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Buffalo Beauts/NWHL News - Monday, July 23.

Melissa Burgess @_MelissaBurgess -

(1) @BuffaloBeauts will play at @KeyBankCenter @ 2 pm on 12/29 vs. @WhitecapsHockey. It'll be a doubleheader with the @BuffaloSabres game that night. Every fan who buys a ticket to the #Sabres game will get a Beauts ticket. #NWHL

(2) With the @WhitecapsHockey in Buffalo on 12/29, expect another Beauts/Whitecaps matchup the following afternoon at HARBORCENTER. Minnesota will visit each #NWHL team once this season - playing two games against that team that weekend. So the weekend of 12/28-12/30 will be their Buffalo visit this season.

(3) The full #NWHL schedule is expected later this week. I expect that 12/29 game at KeyBank Center may be the lone NWHL game to be played in an NHL rink this season, pending any major changes.

(4) @BuffaloBeauts season tickets will be $120. That includes a ticket to all eight Beauts home games, plus a voucher for one 300 Level II ticket to a select #Sabres game. Individual game tickets $20, all general admission. #NWHL

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
DjCf0XAW0AICF8O.jpg:small

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
The December 2nd match between the Riveters and Whale will be hosted in Pittsburgh at the Lemieux Sports Complex, Penguins practice facility. This marks the third consecutive season in which the NWHL comes to Pittsburgh, starting with the 2017 All-Star Game. Hoping that next season they just make Pittsburgh a permanent fixture in the league!

Source: Amanda Kessel and the NWHL will return to Pittsburgh in December

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Here’s a thought, should NWHL run during summer instead and Winter?

Hear me out, winter is overloaded with sports, with NHL, NBA and NFL taking up everyone’s time, not to mention MLB playoffs.

Summer is just MLB and MLS. Far less formidable competition for ticket sale. They can market it as beat the heat and come to the game!

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Here’s a thought, should NWHL run during summer instead and Winter?

Hear me out, winter is overloaded with sports, with NHL, NBA and NFL taking up everyone’s time, not to mention MLB playoffs.

Summer is just MLB and MLS. Far less formidable competition for ticket sale. They can market it as beat the heat and come to the game!
Interesting thought, and as a hockey fan I'd be all for it. But among other things which would influence such a change, the League would have to look at what current employment opportunities the ladies have in their off-season. If many of them earn income from fair weather jobs, a seasonal switch could severely impact their earnings potential. Not a good precedent for recruiting & retaining top talent.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Interesting thought, and as a hockey fan I'd be all for it. But among other things which would influence such a change, the League would have to look at what current employment opportunities the ladies have in their off-season. If many of them earn income from fair weather jobs, a seasonal switch could severely impact their earnings potential. Not a good precedent for recruiting & retaining top talent.
Plus I'm sure it would increase their rent cost for the arenas. Many places don't normally keep ice down in the summer. If they already have ice in the winter, adding a hockey team doesn't cost the building much, but if they are maintaining ice just for that team, then the rent has to cover that cost. Plus ice is hard to maintain in the summer, so it would be even more expensive, and probably not as good quality. You see that already with minor league teams playing in May. Keeping the building cold enough in August would require a lot more A/C useage.

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad