The Athletic - Boston 2018-19 NHL Season Preview: Boston Bruins

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
So I am supposed to give you a number now. Would it be better to cheer for teams that wallow in krap, year after year. I am behind him and the organization and see growth and a direction. Glass half full - glass half empty for some, not me. Then there is the crowd that also complains about the fingerprints on the glass. There is no pleasing them.

Not the toughest question i asked. I'll just assume we are on the 40 year plan then

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Were you expecting them to win the Cup as soon as he was hired?

It's the start of his 4th season. Chiarelli won the Cup in his 5th.

well I'm definitely not expecting the cup. I know a lot will have to go right with an older core than the 2011-2013 days. The Bruins obviously have talent but aren't as deep as 2011, 1 injury could derail them.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Tough to disagree with the prevailing sentiment in this thread, even though I have been extremely critical of Sweeney. All in all, I suppose I feel that to this point, as a GM, while he's done some good things, he's also suffered from some self-inflicted injuries and that he's been at times both lucky and unlucky. But, I do agree with Krupp in that, without a major superstar (though not taking anything away from 37, 63 or 88) this team is being built as a multi-component machine wherein each part has to function, in order to run.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Just come out and admit what's painfully obvious from your quotes. You think Sweeney is a failure and you will until he wins a cup. nothing else, not even advancing playoff success will do.

I appreciate that he went for it last year even though the Nash trade didnt work out. Failure is a bit over the top.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I am curious about what, “a slightly worrying mix on defense” is supposed to mean?

I’m worried about getting production from the 4-9 guys, but I’m not worried about the mix on D at all.

It bugs the **** out of me when an analyst makes some vague statement like that and expects people to just take him at his word.

Just that Chara is old, Krug needs sheltering and stats guys hate Carlo. There is a whole long article after the quote.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Just that Chara is old, Krug needs sheltering and stats guys hate Carlo. There is a whole long article after the quote.

Thanks, I didn’t realize that. I guess my response would be:

Chara has been old for the last 3/4 years.

Every team has an offensive minded D they would rather not start in the defensive zone.

I think that Carlo is already solid, but is primed for a breakout the next year or so.

My personal belief is that the B’s have a Top 10 D.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Thanks, I didn’t realize that. I guess my response would be:

Chara has been old for the last 3/4 years.

Every team has an offensive minded D they would rather not start in the defensive zone.

I think that Carlo is already solid, but is primed for a breakout the next year or so.

My personal belief is that the B’s have a Top 10 D.

Sure this was March 2018 but they had them at 3

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-four-defenses/

While the Bruins’ defensive scoring numbers aren’t anything spectacular, with only 142 points this season, they have some truly dominating defensive stats. The team gives up 2.56 goals a game, good for third in the league, by limiting opponents to 29.4 shots, putting them second overall. They also have one of the highest plus/minus overall at a plus-94, led by Chara and McAvoy. The only somewhat average number they have is their penalty kill, which ranks 11th with an 81.6 success rate. While this is far from poor, it is a bit middling compared to the rest of their dominant numbers.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Sure this was March 2018 but they had them at 3

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-four-defenses/

While the Bruins’ defensive scoring numbers aren’t anything spectacular, with only 142 points this season, they have some truly dominating defensive stats. The team gives up 2.56 goals a game, good for third in the league, by limiting opponents to 29.4 shots, putting them second overall. They also have one of the highest plus/minus overall at a plus-94, led by Chara and McAvoy. The only somewhat average number they have is their penalty kill, which ranks 11th with an 81.6 success rate. While this is far from poor, it is a bit middling compared to the rest of their dominant numbers.

The Athletic and The Hockey Writers tend to analyze things differently, so it’s not a surprise they have a differing opinion on the state of the Boston D corps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad