2018/19 Jets Tickets.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Yes, THAT is the question I have as well!

Why do STHs' tickets get nailed with higher fees on SeatExchange when compared to fees added to Ticketmaster's tickets???

That is NOT playing fair!!! :madfire:

Ok this makes sense now. A $168 ticket sold on seat exchange is $198.24 while a $168 seat bought off ticket master is $185.

Edit: Face value is what the ticket will sell for on ticketmaster with all fees included not what it will sell for on seat exchange with all fees added.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
If TNSE makes it more and more difficult to sell individual tickets on Seat Exchange, more and more STHs are going to rethink whether they want to keep their STs.
Amen, brother!
Ok this makes sense now. A $168 ticket sold on seat exchange is $198.24 while a $168 seat bought off ticket master is $185.
Yes, that's what my "That is NOT playing fair" rant is based on
Edit: Face value is what the ticket will sell for on ticketmaster with all fees included not what it will sell for on seat exchange with all fees added.
No, face value is the value of the ticket on Ticketmaster before fees and taxes are added

Reactions: Spock

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Amen, brother!

Yes, that's what my "That is NOT playing fair" rant is based on

No, face value is the value of the ticket on Ticketmaster before fees and taxes are added

Ok- so a game like the Canes which is P3 category B and listed at $185 can be sold by STH for $168 legally but shouldn’t be listed on the ticket thread here for $185

jefferoni

Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Ok- so a game like the Canes which is P3 category B and listed at $185 can be sold by STH for $168 legally but shouldn’t be listed on the ticket thread here for $185
Yes, that silly outdated Manitoban law states that you can only sell your ticket for up to its face value, which in this case is indeed $168.

Here's one for the legal brainiacs of the board... if I advertise my tickets for face value now and then TNSE & Ticketmaster end up lowering their face value prices while executing their dynamic pricing model just prior to gameday when there's a shitload of tickets available for sale, do I become a lawbreaker because my tickets are now listed above face value? Makes you wonder, don't it? :laugh:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Yes, that silly outdated Manitoban law states that you can only sell your ticket for up to its face value, which in this case is indeed $168.

Here's one for the legal brainiacs of the board... if I advertise my tickets for face value now and then TNSE & Ticketmaster end up lowering their face value prices while executing their dynamic pricing model just prior to gameday when there's a ****load of tickets available for sale, do I become a lawbreaker because my tickets are now listed above face value? Makes you wonder, don't it? :laugh:

So is the face value always the category price subtract $17? Perhaps. TNSE could provide their STH the actual face value of our tickets to make things easier. Once dynamic prices kick in things should be fun!

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Ok I have a question in regards to face value pricing. I you were charged $100 for a ticket after fees and taxes and then sold that ticket for $100 are you breaking the law?

Even further, if you buy a bunch of tickets for a group of people going to a concert or game together, and they pay you for the price you paid including fees and taxes (above face value), is that legal?

jefferoni

Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
So is the face value always the category price subtract $17? Perhaps. TNSE could provide their STH the actual face value of our tickets to make things easier. Once dynamic prices kick in things should be fun!
I really don't know how TNSE and Ticketmaster calculate their fees and frankly I don't really want to dig into it because I'd rather not get a bad case of indigestion. Up until this season it was simple because all you had to do was check your printed ticket (or its PDF version). But now that those are things of the past I think it's just easier to check a comparable ticket's price (before fees and taxes) on Ticketmaster.
Ok I have a question in regards to face value pricing. I you were charged $100 for a ticket after fees and taxes and then sold that ticket for $100 are you breaking the law?

Even further, if you buy a bunch of tickets for a group of people going to a concert or game together, and they pay you for the price you paid including fees and taxes (above face value), is that legal?
My understanding is that it is indeed technically illegal BUT I seriously doubt you'd be in danger of getting charged. I believe the law was meant to target the real scalpers and not us typical over-charged and over-taxed ticket buyers.

Pickle Rick

Nov 11, 2016
FYI, for those of you wondering, I used a screenshot of my ticket to get into the fan forum on Friday and also used it to get into the preseason game yesterday. No issues, no surprises. Anyone else use their screenshots? The new ticket scanning system is a lot faster now, didn't have to wait for what seemed like forever for the big green checkmark like years past (which caused a lot of the actual delays). How many times did one of the scanners get screwed up and that line ended up stuck while everyone else was cruising along and it was always the guy one or two spots ahead of me so I couldn't slide over to the brisk line? Might actually see an improvement there this year.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
FYI, for those of you wondering, I used a screenshot of my ticket to get into the fan forum on Friday and also used it to get into the preseason game yesterday. No issues, no surprises. Anyone else use their screenshots? The new ticket scanning system is a lot faster now, didn't have to wait for what seemed like forever for the big green checkmark like years past (which caused a lot of the actual delays). How many times did one of the scanners get screwed up and that line ended up stuck while everyone else was cruising along and it was always the guy one or two spots ahead of me so I couldn't slide over to the brisk line? Might actually see an improvement there this year.
Anyone use their STH card? It sounded like it was an RFID tap-and-go kind of thing...my first game is Friday so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

I'm not sure that the holdup was with the ticket scanners anyway. It always seemed like the bag search and metal detectors were where things were most likely to bog down - but moving them back from the doors last season helped at our door I think (SW corner).

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

I sell the occasional pair of tickets on Kijiji, and I often remind the buyers that they can avoid the fees charged by ticketmaster/true north by purchasing the tickets at face value through me. That way, I know that they are saving money even though I'm charging them the price on the ticket and not my STH price.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
Just save yourself any legal troubles and Sell them a hockey card for the price you want and free tickets are included with the sale of the card

jefferoni

Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Anyone use their STH card? It sounded like it was an RFID tap-and-go kind of thing...my first game is Friday so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

I'm not sure that the holdup was with the ticket scanners anyway. It always seemed like the bag search and metal detectors were where things were most likely to bog down - but moving them back from the doors last season helped at our door I think (SW corner).
I just spoke with my sister who told me that their STH cards worked like a charm. She also told me that there was no backlog and everything went very smoothly.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
For those asking. Here is what the actual law stipulates (Manitoba Amusement Act):

Scalping

No person shall sell, barter or exchange for anything any ticket of admission to a place of amusement for a price or consideration greater than that paid or given therefor to the owner of the place of amusement to which it is an admission.

So technically season ticket holders who sell for face value are indeed breaking Manitoba's scalping laws since they're selling for more than they gave TNSE for the ticket.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
For those asking. Here is what the actual law stipulates (Manitoba Amusement Act):

So technically season ticket holders who sell for face value are indeed breaking Manitoba's scalping laws since they're selling for more than they gave TNSE for the ticket.
The police don't really have the time or inclination to go after anyone for this. I think they made a bit of a high-profile stir about it in the first season to deter large-scale scalping, but it's not really an issue now...at least not for Jets tickets. They busted someone for scalping Hip tickets a few years ago.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
The police don't really have the time or inclination to go after anyone for this. I think they made a bit of a high-profile stir about it in the first season to deter large-scale scalping, but it's not really an issue now...at least not for Jets tickets. They busted someone for scalping Hip tickets a few years ago.

It's virtually unenforced. They should just scrap the law altogether. Let the market dictate the prices.

jefferoni

Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Agreed, and I believe TNSE also doesn't have the time or desire...

A few years ago I was forced to list a very desirable game (Habs I think?) on SeatExchange due to a late change of plans. The tickets were purchased within minutes and for the helluvit I checked StubHub a few hours later. Sure enough, there were my tickets... for 3x the price. I asked my ticket rep at the time to clarify the rules and her response was...
The brokers who are posting tickets on secondary market sites for well over face value are breaking provincial laws, unfortunately, we are not in a position to enforce the law. Many of the brokers are not season ticket holders, and the requirement necessary by our legal team to enforce cancelling tickets is difficult to gather in an appropriate timeframe. We often contact sellers and advise them they are in breach of laws and ask them to remove the ads but often they reappear with more limited details which makes it harder for us to trace back. Since the team has returned, we have been continuously looking at ways to eliminate the frequency of these actions.

It's virtually unenforced. They should just scrap the law altogether. Let the market dictate the prices.
I agree 100%!

Reactions: DannyGallivan

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

If you could guarantee that the market was the one setting the price and not being manipulated by Ticketmaster ( or the event ) themselves, then maybe.

Ticketmaster Just Got Exposed For Using Secret Tactics To Trick Canadians Into Overpaying For Concert Tickets

I guess for the Jets it's a little different because it's not a one off concert with higher demand and it keeps getting easier to get tickets to games. But if you scrap the scalping law it's for all events, not just the Jets.

Last edited:

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Police don't enforce it for Jets tickets because TNSE walks on water in this city.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
In year one I was selling tickets on Kijiji at face value on the day of the game. I got a threatening call from a True North employee about an hour after posting the tickets telling me to remove them. I asked what I was doing wrong and the man said selling tickets on non-verified websites such as Kijijo is in breach of my ticket agreement and they reserve the right to revoke my season tickets.

From the data I collected, that man wasn't employed by True North two months later.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Police don't enforce it for Jets tickets because TNSE walks on water in this city.
TNSE would prefer it were actually enforced, I'm sure. They were the ones threatening STHs with revocation of their tickets and loss of deposit if they caught them scalping. I think they actually did it a few times in the first couple of seasons to send a message. Now they're lobbying the government to exempt TNSE from the scalping law so they can get in on the secondary market themselves for high-demand things like big concerts.

Reactions: jefferoni and Spock

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

This would mean there is a lot of documented crime going through Seat Exchange.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
In year one I was selling tickets on Kijiji at face value on the day of the game. I got a threatening call from a True North employee about an hour after posting the tickets telling me to remove them. I asked what I was doing wrong and the man said selling tickets on non-verified websites such as Kijijo is in breach of my ticket agreement and they reserve the right to revoke my season tickets.

From the data I collected, that man wasn't employed by True North two months later.

The TNSE employee was wrong. In the TPA they "recommend" that you use the verified method of resale ( Duh! Of course they do for all the fees and kickbacks from TM ) , but it is not a violation. What is a violation currently is:

In the event that Tickets are sold for any price while on the premises or are sold for any price greater than the purchase price shown on the Ticket(s) or are advertised for sale at a price greater than the purchase price shown on the Ticket(s), the Account shall immediately be considered in default.

Which brings up the issue as previously mentioned. Up until this season the purchase price or face value of the tickets as printed were always higher than what the STH actually paid. So selling at face value was never an issue as far as the TPA went.. This season, because of the paperless, the face value of the ticket is what the STH did pay. Yet ( as an example ), I can put seats that I paid $66.40 on the seat exchange for a price as high as $77.00. So is Seat Exchange making everyone a scalper?

Last edited:

jefferoni

Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
What is a violation currently is:

In the event that Tickets are sold for any price while on the premises or are sold for any price greater than the purchase price shown on the Ticket(s) or are advertised for sale at a price greater than the purchase price shown on the Ticket(s), the Account shall immediately be considered in default.
Bolded is commonly referred to as "face value"

WARNING: Conspiracy theory ahead... did TNSE eliminate printed tickets to ensure there is technically no "face value" associated with them which then allows TNSE to legally raise prices on Ticketmaster when they execute their dynamic pricing model?
DYNAMIC PRICING
For the 2018-19 season, the Winnipeg Jets will be employing a dynamic pricing model for a number of games during the regular season. As such, ticket prices for certain games may change without notice, based on factors such as real-time supply and demand, opponent, day of the week, time of season or promotional giveaways.

Last edited:

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
TNSE would prefer it were actually enforced, I'm sure. They were the ones threatening STHs with revocation of their tickets and loss of deposit if they caught them scalping. I think they actually did it a few times in the first couple of seasons to send a message. Now they're lobbying the government to exempt TNSE from the scalping law so they can get in on the secondary market themselves for high-demand things like big concerts.
You're not understanding. Any season ticket holder who sells for face value is breaking Manitoba's scalping law, because they are selling for more than they paid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad