ECHL Affiliations

Growler

May 16, 2018
Rapid City and Greenville or the only ones left without an affiliation so far, correct?

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
Is it unusual for the teams to take this long to announce affiliates? I'm new to how the ECHL works.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Is it unusual for the teams to take this long to announce affiliates? I'm new to how the ECHL works.
I think teams have different strategies for their marketing. The Royals, for example, like to keep themselves in the newspaper weekly during the summer, so they stagger their player announcements and other news. Some teams like to hold everything until shortly before the season because they feel no one is paying attention during the summer and they want to make a big announcement shortly before the season to get attention back on hockey. With NHL camps already open, and ECHL players scheduled to report in two weeks, I would think those final few announcements are coming pretty soon. Maybe even to coincide with the opening of training camps.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

As already mentioned, even though the Maine Mariners are already affiliated with the Rangers, they will have a working relationship with the Canadiens, as well.

However, some of their AHL contracted players will end up sent elsewhere if they are sent to the ECHL.

Étienne Marcoux last year played with the Indy Fuel, who are affiliated with the Blackhawks. However, the Fuel qualified him so he can be eligible to play with them this year. So I see him sent there.

The same is for T.J. Melancon, who played with the Norfolk Admirals last year. They're affiliated with the Coyotes.

And finally, Phélix Martineau played with and was qualified by Fort Wayne Komets, who are affiliated with the Vegas Golden Knights.

As a result, Montreal won't need to send them all to one team as some will end up around the league. Whoever's left may end up in Maine unless Montreal gets a working relationship with certain other teams.

Reactions: slue

Growler

May 16, 2018

As already mentioned, even though the Maine Mariners are already affiliated with the Rangers, they will have a working relationship with the Canadiens, as well.

However, some of their AHL contracted players will end up sent elsewhere if they are sent to the ECHL.

Étienne Marcoux last year played with the Indy Fuel, who are affiliated with the Blackhawks. However, the Fuel qualified him so he can be eligible to play with them this year. So I see him sent there.

The same is for T.J. Melancon, who played with the Norfolk Admirals last year. They're affiliated with the Coyotes.

And finally, Phélix Martineau played with and was qualified by Fort Wayne Komets, who are affiliated with the Vegas Golden Knights.

As a result, Montreal won't need to send them all to one team as some will end up around the league. Whoever's left may end up in Maine unless Montreal gets a working relationship with certain other teams.

Bergevin still building worlds in the Montreal farm system, I see.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

Kinda yes, kinda no (how's that for nailing it down? :laugh:). In the ECHL you can even see affiliation changes mid-season. It's rare, but it does happen. I've found that things are a lot more fluid in the ECHL than the AHL...

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
Seems that Rapid City won't be having an NHL affiliate this season.

20qjmrn.png

Last edited:

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Seems that Rapid City won't be having an NHL affiliate this season.

20qjmrn.png

Wow, IMO that could be the beginning of the end for the Rush. Their lack of talent last year was obvious, and doesn't look much better this year. How do they compete with the likes of Allen, Idaho and Utah, who all get sent a good amount of AHL players? I honestly can't see an independent team ever winning a Kelly Cup going forward.

Reactions: 210 and Growlers

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Wow, IMO that could be the beginning of the end for the Rush. Their lack of talent last year was obvious, and doesn't look much better this year. How do they compete with the likes of Allen, Idaho and Utah, who all get sent a good amount of AHL players? I honestly can't see an independent team ever winning a Kelly Cup going forward.
@Avsrule2002: Surely (not Shirley) you know from your CHL fan days that the fate of the Rush organization is singularly dependent on if/when their owners decide they've poured too much money into keeping the team alive. Lack of an affiliation probably saves them a bit overall, especially if the Rush fans who objected to the roster turmoil under the Wild are season ticket holders who threatened to drop their renewals. The team is year-to-year anyway, so that condition does not change.

Reactions: Avsrule2022

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
In an announcement that will shock no one, the Pittsburgh Penguins and Wheeling Nailers have extended their affiliation agreement for two more seasons.

Wheeling enters its 21st consecutive season as the ECHL affiliate for the Pittsburgh Penguins, which matches the longest active affiliation between an NHL team and ECHL team. 2018-19 will also mark the 20th straight season that the Nailers will be affiliated with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, dating back to their inception into the AHL in 1999. Over the course of those years, 20 former Nailers have made their NHL debuts with the Penguins, including Casey DeSmith, who posted a 6-4-1 record in 14 appearances last season. Three of the 20 players got their names etched into the Stanley Cup as members of the 2017 championship squad. In total, 23 former Nailers/Thunderbirds have suited up for the Penguins during their NHL careers.

Full Press Release: Nailers, Penguins Extend Affiliation Agreement for Two Years | The Wheeling Nailers

Reactions: Woo Hockey

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
Updating the OP with the assumption that Manchester, Kalamazoo, and Cincinnati will still be affiliated with the teams they were affiliated with last season.

Removed the sources column as I messed the entire table up while putting in the Wheeling source.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Joe Will, GM of AHL Barracuda, indicated in radio interview today (during Sharks-Devils game, 2nd intermission) that Sharks have an affiliation agreement with Orlando.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad