2018-19 Arizona Coyotes Report Cards

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We used to do these every quarter. I don’t think we did at all this season. Anyway, I thought it’d be fun to bring back as a way to punctuate the season.

Use whatever grading system you want. Pretty straightforward for me – A, B, C, D, F. No plusses or minuses, just keeping it simple. My grades are based on my own expectations for each player and how he met them this season. Obviously, ‘A’ highly exceeds expectations, ‘B’ is slightly above expectations, ‘C’ is met expectations, ‘D’ does not meet expectations, and ‘F’ is far below expectations.

My apologies for the length of the post!

Forwards

Stepan – C – I think he emerged as a leader. He has always been very consistent offensively but that was sacrificed this season as we had to deploy him in a more defensive role. Still, I’m looking for more scoring out of him next season, given his cap hit and minutes. Value wise he was a little below par.

Galchenyuk – C – I don’t think he was fully healthy until about December, but I’m still looking for more. He can bring an element to our powerplay but I’m looking for more at even strength. He could obviously use better wingers. I’m not against moving him back to center either. He showed a good ability to perform under pressure.

Grabner – A – I’m not going to fault the guy for missed time due to a freak injury. Brings all kinds of speed and brings a special dynamic to the penalty kill. No complaints about him at all.

Panik – C – He did what we asked of him, which was to provide secondary scoring, even though he is more of a top nine forward who was forced into a top six role. Showed a physical edge to his game late in the season but still continues to battle consistency. Open to re-signing him at a similar rate as a Plan B option this offseason.

Hinostroza – B – No real true complaints, I just think there is a little more there. Shorten the cold streaks and we could have a really good player here at a really good price. I love his ability to bull through defenders.

Richardson – A – Much like Grabner, there is nothing to complain about. Excellent on the PK and also our best face-off guy. Nobody saw this coming last summer. His biggest challenge next year will be coming anywhere close to repeating such a performance.

Cousins – B – A little like Panik where he’s forced to play roles he’s not really capable of, and all over the lineup too, but he had some success with it. Brings a little abrasiveness that we don’t have much of. My question from here is do we have a future role for him and, very soon, his dollar demands will outgrow his actual value.

Crouse – A – Absolutely loved his season. He simply had a helluva year. He finished second in the whole league in hits, and also found some nice secondary scoring and PK abilities as well. My only criticism is he needs to play a little angrier and a little less Friendly Giant.

Keller – D – This one is really tough. I’m still not even sure I’d classify his year as a traditional sophomore slump, and his linemates were a victim of Tocchet’s line combo blender, but he undoubtedly needs to be better. I wonder if he simply needs linemates who are on the same wavelength. We saw that in his brief time with Schmaltz. I am expecting a bounce back year.

Dvorak – N/A – I don’t think I can offer a fair evaluation here. He missed training camp and then three-quarters of the year only to come back when everyone else was hurt and he was required to play a top role. All while the opposition is playing for their playoff lives. Truth be told I thought he held his own and I am expecting a big-time, 60-point breakout year next season.

Fischer – F – The goal totals weren’t far off last season but overall he did not take the next step this season. Disappointing especially after all the preseason talk about his great conditioning. I think he needs to use his size more. I suspect he’ll be wearing a different jersey next season.

Kempe – B – He did what we asked of him. He’s relentless and I think a key player in forming our identity. I love his feet but hate his hands, but I’m not going to criticize a role player for not being a skill player. He earned himself a two-way extension for next year.

Archibald – A – Sort of a more skilled version of Kempe. Nobody saw 12 goals coming from him. Offers some nice versatility and I’d like to bring him back as the spare forward.

Schmaltz – N/A – He didn’t play enough to offer a true evaluation, but he did offer some nice glimpses during his short stint. He revitalized Keller and brought a new dynamic to the powerplay. He has the potential to be our most dangerous forward. Nice chemistry with Galchenyuk as well. Biggest question is whether he is a center or wing.

Garland – A – At the start of the year I said it was his last chance at playing pro. He needed a good year in Tucson if he was to earn another contract. So for him to get double-digit goals at the NHL level was totally unexpected. Goals aside, he brings an incredible work ethic, he blocks shots, and he simply doesn’t stop out there. I don’t know why he didn't stick in the lineup more often. No criticisms for him.

Defense

Ekman-Larsson – B – There’s a lot of pressure in your first year as captain and I thought he performed well, particularly down the stretch where much like Galchenyuk he continues to shown an ability to bring his best in big-game moments. The goals are always there but I would like to see the assist totals increase to truly put him in the upper echelon of No. 1 defensemen. I suspect that will come when we bring in better forwards for him to get the puck to.

Goligoski – A – I loved his second half. Traditionally known as an offensive defenceman, he added a key defensive element to his game this season where he finished just outside of the top 10 league-wide in blocked shots. Point totals were pretty much consistent as they always are and he never misses any time. I’d like to keep him but we need budget so he may be a casualty of his cap hit.

Demers – C – A little like Dvorak where he missed so much time that it’s difficult to assess him. In the end, I think what you see is what you get – a steady Top 4 D who brings added value as a right-handed shot. Added bonus is his chemistry with OEL and apparent locker room presence.

Hjalmarsson – A – He’s a rock and I’m thrilled he was able to play all 82 games this season. An excellent season after a rocky start in the desert. I was really hoping he’d be rewarded with a goal in the last few games.

Connauton – D – This grade is more a reflection of another player taking his job than a lack of performance. He is a relatively affordable bottom-pairing D who brings a touch of offense plus some toughness, who can play either side and move up in short stints. Still, for a budget team, expensive depth is a luxury.

Lyubushkin – B – So few players from the KHL actually amount to anything when they come over, but I though Bush looked okay. I don’t think he’s regular and I think he plays a dying breed, but it was still a nice little chip to have versus the more physical opponents. I think he’s upgradable but wouldn’t hate bringing him back. I’d try to get him on a two-way deal though to save some cash.

Chychrun – D – It’s frustrating because you know he is capable of more but hasn’t shown it with enough regularity. It’s frustrating because, starting next year, we’re paying him big money and he’s going to need to play 20 solid minutes in the scenario where we move out Goligoski. I do love his commitment however and I’d like to see what he can do with the injuries hopefully behind him.

Oesterle – A – A nice surprise player who earned himself an even better contract. Was given an opportunity and ran with it. I just hope we didn’t get Connauton’ed. He should also be leading the charge for bigger nets.

Goaltending

Kuemper – A – Absolutely our MVP. When we acquired him I said I like his potential if he can just play a little more calm, and I think he did that this season. Less sliding, fewer rebounds, and just stand tall in net. Perfect big goalie. I think he showed he can be a No. 1 and I don’t think it was a flash in the pan.

Pickard – F – This grade doesn’t really matter because he was the definition of a placeholder, but I just didn’t like his game. He doesn’t give his team any confidence and he went winless because of it. I suspect his time as a full-time NHLer is over.

Raanta – D – Hard to fault the guy over injuries, especially because most of them seem incredibly fluky, but this was a big year for him and he just wasn’t able to stay in the lineup. In fact, I think he played injured for his last few before we shut him down. Next season will determine his future with the organization.

Hill - B - A late addition to this post because I forgot how many games he played. He's still not NHL ready but I thought he held his own in the games he appeared in. Recorded his first shutout. I'd like to see him get a heavy starter's workload next year in Tucson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lawson of Anarchy

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We used to do these every quarter. I don’t think we did at all this season. Anyway, I thought it’d be fun to bring back as a way to punctuate the season.

Use whatever grading system you want. Pretty straightforward for me – A, B, C, D, F. No plusses or minuses, just keeping it simple. My grades are based on my own expectations for each player and how he met them this season. Obviously, ‘A’ highly exceeds expectations, ‘B’ is slightly above expectations, ‘C’ is met expectations, ‘D’ does not meet expectations, and ‘F’ is far below expectations.

My apologies for the length of the post!

Forwards

Stepan – C – I think he emerged as a leader. He has always been very consistent offensively but that was sacrificed this season as we had to deploy him in a more defensive role. Still, I’m looking for more scoring out of him next season, given his cap hit and minutes. Value wise he was a little below par.

Galchenyuk – C – I don’t think he was fully healthy until about December, but I’m still looking for more. He can bring an element to our powerplay but I’m looking for more at even strength. He could obviously use better wingers. I’m not against moving him back to center either. He showed a good ability to perform under pressure.

Grabner – A – I’m not going to fault the guy for missed time due to a freak injury. Brings all kinds of speed and brings a special dynamic to the penalty kill. No complaints about him at all.

Panik – C – He did what we asked of him, which was to provide secondary scoring, even though he is more of a top nine forward who was forced into a top six role. Showed a physical edge to his game late in the season but still continues to battle consistency. Open to re-signing him at a similar rate as a Plan B option this offseason.

Hinostroza – B – No real true complaints, I just think there is a little more there. Shorten the cold streaks and we could have a really good player here at a really good price. I love his ability to bull through defenders.

Richardson – A – Much like Grabner, there is nothing to complain about. Excellent on the PK and also our best face-off guy. Nobody saw this coming last summer. His biggest challenge next year will be coming anywhere close to repeating such a performance.

Cousins – B – A little like Panik where he’s forced to play roles he’s not really capable of, and all over the lineup too, but he had some success with it. Brings a little abrasiveness that we don’t have much of. My question from here is do we have a future role for him and, very soon, his dollar demands will outgrow his actual value.

Crouse – A – Absolutely loved his season. He simply had a helluva year. He finished second in the whole league in hits, and also found some nice secondary scoring and PK abilities as well. My only criticism is he needs to play a little angrier and a little less Friendly Giant.

Keller – D – This one is really tough. I’m still not even sure I’d classify his year as a traditional sophomore slump, and his linemates were a victim of Tocchet’s line combo blender, but he undoubtedly needs to be better. I wonder if he simply needs linemates who are on the same wavelength. We saw that in his brief time with Schmaltz. I am expecting a bounce back year.

Dvorak – N/A – I don’t think I can offer a fair evaluation here. He missed training camp and then three-quarters of the year only to come back when everyone else was hurt and he was required to play a top role. All while the opposition is playing for their playoff lives. Truth be told I thought he held his own and I am expecting a big-time, 60-point breakout year next season.

Fischer – F – The goal totals weren’t far off last season but overall he did not take the next step this season. Disappointing especially after all the preseason talk about his great conditioning. I think he needs to use his size more. I suspect he’ll be wearing a different jersey next season.

Kempe – B – He did what we asked of him. He’s relentless and I think a key player in forming our identity. I love his feet but hate his hands, but I’m not going to criticize a role player for not being a skill player. He earned himself a two-way extension for next year.

Archibald – A – Sort of a more skilled version of Kempe. Nobody saw 12 goals coming from him. Offers some nice versatility and I’d like to bring him back as the spare forward.

Schmaltz – N/A – He didn’t play enough to offer a true evaluation, but he did offer some nice glimpses during his short stint. He revitalized Keller and brought a new dynamic to the powerplay. He has the potential to be our most dangerous forward. Nice chemistry with Galchenyuk as well. Biggest question is whether he is a center or wing.

Garland – A – At the start of the year I said it was his last chance at playing pro. He needed a good year in Tucson if he was to earn another contract. So for him to get double-digit goals at the NHL level was totally unexpected. Goals aside, he brings an incredible work ethic, he blocks shots, and he simply doesn’t stop out there. I don’t know why he didn't stick in the lineup more often. No criticisms for him.

Defense

Ekman-Larsson – B – There’s a lot of pressure in your first year as captain and I thought he performed well, particularly down the stretch where much like Galchenyuk he continues to shown an ability to bring his best in big-game moments. The goals are always there but I would like to see the assist totals increase to truly put him in the upper echelon of No. 1 defensemen. I suspect that will come when we bring in better forwards for him to get the puck to.

Goligoski – A – I loved his second half. Traditionally known as an offensive defenceman, he added a key defensive element to his game this season where he finished just outside of the top 10 league-wide in blocked shots. Point totals were pretty much consistent as they always are and he never misses any time. I’d like to keep him but we need budget so he may be a casualty of his cap hit.

Demers – C – A little like Dvorak where he missed so much time that it’s difficult to assess him. In the end, I think what you see is what you get – a steady Top 4 D who brings added value as a right-handed shot. Added bonus is his chemistry with OEL and apparent locker room presence.

Hjalmarsson – A – He’s a rock and I’m thrilled he was able to play all 82 games this season. An excellent season after a rocky start in the desert. I was really hoping he’d be rewarded with a goal in the last few games.

Connauton – D – This grade is more a reflection of another player taking his job than a lack of performance. He is a relatively affordable bottom-pairing D who brings a touch of offense plus some toughness, who can play either side and more up in short stints. Still, for a budget team, expensive depth is a luxury.

Lyubushkin – B – So few players from the KHL actually amount to anything when they come over, but I though Bush looked okay. I don’t think he’s regular and I think he plays a dying breed, but it was still a nice little chip to have versus the more physical opponents. I think he’s upgradable but wouldn’t hate bringing him back. I’d try to get him on a two-way deal though to save some cash.

Chychrun – D – It’s frustrating because you know he is capable of more but hasn’t shown it with enough regularity. It’s frustrating because, starting next year, we’re paying him big money and he’s going to need to play 20 solid minutes in the scenario where we move out Goligoski. I do love his commitment however and I’d like to see what he can do with the injuries hopefully behind him.

Oesterle – A – A nice surprise player who earned himself an even better contract. Was given an opportunity and ran with it. I just hope we didn’t get Connauton’ed. He should also be leading the charge for bigger nets.

Goaltending

Kuemper – A – Absolutely our MVP. When we acquired him I said I like his potential if he can just play a little more calm, and I think he did that this season. Less sliding, fewer rebounds, and just stand tall in net. Perfect big goalie. I think he showed he can be a No. 1 and I don’t think it was a flash in the pan.

Pickard – F – This grade doesn’t really matter because he was the definition of a placeholder, but I just didn’t like his game. He doesn’t give his team any confidence and he went winless because of it. I suspect his time as a full-time NHLer is over.

Raanta – D – Hard to fault the guy over injuries, especially because most of them seem incredibly fluky, but this was a big year for him and he just wasn’t able to stay in the lineup. In fact, I think he played injured for his last few before we shut him down. Next season will determine his future with the organization.

Hill - B - A late addition to this post because I forgot how many games he played. He's still not NHL ready but I thought he held his own in the games he appeared in. Recorded his first shutout. I'd like to see him get a heavy starter's workload next year in Tucson.
I agree with most of this, nice work, except for: I would give Goose a C and Demers a B. Its really Chychrun, Keller, Fischer that didn't have more production. The good news is that they are all still young. Those 3 are where our uptick in production can come from next year.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
It's hard for me to give a grade for players this year just because this team absolutely was awful at offense and good at defense. That skews that grades for me to the players who we got to play D. It could be a system thing... or maybe not.

Our PK was a positive for sure... all the players on that did great. Grabs, Richardson, Crouse, OEL, Hammer, etc etc... they get some major credit with me for their stellar work on that front. The defense core I felt did fine as well. Of course.. Kuemper was great and Raanta was good except his injury problems bring that excitement down a lot.

There are some players I definitely was disappointed in their seasons. A lot to type out but I think most people already said who that would be on here anyways.

This biggest failing grade on this team? Easy.. F for MacLean (or whoever was in charge of those things/let that happen).

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
This biggest failing grade

I feel like the biggest failing grade was Keller, which is somewhat strange considering he led the team in points, but at only 47!!! Can you believe our leading point-getter only had 47? He led the team in shots, so not like he wasn't trying, but only 77th highest in the league.

Team MVP would be Kuemper, so I guess he gets an A+.

Probably give As to Hammer and Garland too.

Solid B grades to Crouse, Richy, Vinny, and Chucky.

Everyone else gets a C. My school doesn't want to hurt any feelings.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad