2017 WHL Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Giants hire Dan O'Connor from Prince George as their new play by play guy. Probably the only impressive move Vancouver will make all off-season.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

Tremendous accomplishment here for this player from the Everett Silvertips, and what I'm sure makes this especially remarkable is he was able to maintain all of this despite his busy schedule with the team including all the long bus rides on road trips and missed class time resulting from all of that.

King announced his retirement from hockey yesterday. Will be attending the University of Alabama to pursue a double major in Mechanical Engineering and German.

And not that it really matters, but because of the WHL's "professional" status, he'll be ineligible to play for Alabama's ACHA hockey team.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Please deal him and get this rebuild going. Perfect piece to sell off.

Ill call it now and guarantee he gets dealt to Kelowna. Holland has a lot of connections there and also has a house around there and will work his magic for them lol

Dube, Lind, the Foote's, Cholowski, and many more... they are always contenders every damn year so this is something that will happen!!!

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Ill call it now and guarantee he gets dealt to Kelowna. Holland has a lot of connections there and also has a house around there and will work his magic for them lol

Dube, Lind, the Foote's, Cholowski, and many more... they are always contenders every damn year so this is something that will happen!!!

I think it really depends how the season is going. Playoffs is definitely do-able for this team (especially since only 2 miss in the west) and that should be there goal each and every year.

If they are in a middling spot (very unlikely IMO) they will probably hang onto him. If they are 6th, 7th or 8th (more likely) They gotta move em. Gotta think it'll bring them close to what the had to let go in the Guhle trade. One wonders if they had an idea this might happen before they made that trade??? Maybe not.

In the bigger picture, if PG can constantly make the playoffs in there down year, even if they are in the bottom half, that's ok and they will do fine on the attendance front. It's if they get into another 4-5 year playoff drought where the boo-birds will come out.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Constantly making he playoffs means nothing, especially when PG goes down in typical fashion of 4-5 games.

Attendance was still in bottom of the league. I don't see any reason why it is getting better, especially with the whole new season 'membership' thing.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Constantly making he playoffs means nothing, especially when PG goes down in typical fashion of 4-5 games.

Attendance was still in bottom of the league. I don't see any reason why it is getting better, especially with the whole new season 'membership' thing.

Disagree, If they can keep making the playoffs in their down years, it'll go a long way.

I'm willing to wager the season ticket base actually increased this year, lots of cheap seats available for families that previously would have no way to afford going.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Disagree, If they can keep making the playoffs in their down years, it'll go a long way.

I'm willing to wager the season ticket base actually increased this year, lots of cheap seats available for families that previously would have no way to afford going.

I'm just not buying it - attendance won't be any better this year than last season.

First round exits don't bring excitement, which is all we are ever good for.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Lethbridge trades for Austin Wong, Tyler Wongs, younger brother. Hopefully he will wind up being as good as Tyler.:)

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.
I'm just not buying it - attendance won't be any better this year than last season.

First round exits don't bring excitement, which is all we are ever good for.

We won a game on home ice this year. That has to count for something.

On a more serious note, getting rid of Morrison and Harkins should make us better. We need players that won't give up with a month to go in the season.

And I've thought about season tickets all summer and finally renewed them yesterday. I know I'm going to attend opening night, then probably the next night too, because it's hockey. And what else is there to do during the winter?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
We won a game on home ice this year. That has to count for something.

On a more serious note, getting rid of Morrison and Harkins should make us better. We need players that won't give up with a month to go in the season.

And I've thought about season tickets all summer and finally renewed them yesterday. I know I'm going to attend opening night, then probably the next night too, because it's hockey. And what else is there to do during the winter?

Morrison sure, Harkins no - he will be greatly missed, and you will see that throughout the season.

While you are right about nothing else to do in the winter, it's just not within my budget right now.

I really want to attend opening night as I want to see that banner go up.

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.
I attended Cats training camp yesterday. Didn't see many stand out players, other than Chowolski. Dude looks like a mirror image of Guhle, from what I say in his one performance. All over the ice, not afraid to shoot the puck, or move up to the net on the rush. Great defensive plays, breaking up two 2 on 1 rushes.

This feels like it could be a long slow season.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I attended Cats training camp yesterday. Didn't see many stand out players, other than Chowolski. Dude looks like a mirror image of Guhle, from what I say in his one performance. All over the ice, not afraid to shoot the puck, or move up to the net on the rush. Great defensive plays, breaking up two 2 on 1 rushes.

This feels like it could be a long slow season.

And it gets better...they will have to trade some overagers as well as they have an abundance, so they will be getting even younger.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
And it gets better...they will have to trade some overagers as well as they have an abundance, so they will be getting even younger.

looks like Bondra will be on the outs. Don't know if there is any market for him or if they will just have to drop him.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
looks like Bondra will be on the outs. Don't know if there is any market for him or if they will just have to drop him.

Well, there goes what likely would've been our top offensive player and a player I would've loved to watch.

Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad