WC: 2017 Team USA

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I know we are all mad because our team **** the bed so badly against the Finns but it was just one really bad game. I'm not ready to throw the rest of the players under the bus for one bad game.

That said Eichel did have a pretty awful tournament.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This was definitely a trap game and it played out that way. Dissapointing given how well the team showed for much of the tournament.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The biggest difference between Eichel and Gaudreau is that Gaudreau can use(and does use) his skill in the dirty areas of the ice, the prime scoring areas. IMHO, Eichel is too much of a perimeter threat, he doesn't have the hands in tight like guys like Matthews and Gaudreau have.

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
I can't disagree with all the Eichel hate. Kid played like he was suffering from severe sleep deprivation because he looked asleep out there. He had his lazy moments during the regular season, but not like this. He NEVER looked good when I watched. I saw both the italy and russia game. Just had nothing going. I said it before on one of the game threads, but if he wasn't 100% healthy and ready to be this teams best player for the tourney, he should have stayed home and rehabbed the ankle. I hope he comes out and says something and doesn't just let this effort speak for itself.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I agree with you on Eichel.

But Gaudreau led the team in scoring and is still leading the tournament in goals . . . He didn't have a great game vs a stifling Finnish team (the whole team struggled), but at least he came to play this tournament. IMO he was the team's best player vs Germany, Sweden, Slovakia, and Russia and probably overall MVP. He's always played hard and produced when wearing the red white and blue.

WJC 7gp 7g 2a 9p +2
WC 16gp 8g 13a 21p +6

That's 23gp 15g 15a 30p +8 while representing the USA. If you include his World Cup experience, that jumps to 29gp 19g 20a 39p +12. I can't think of too many players with that sort of production, let alone American players. After a quick glance, it looks like Crosby, Panarin, Getzlaf, and Shipachyev are the only active NHL players who have played in at least 2 tournaments who have a higher career WC PPG average.

If he's not getting invited to international tournaments there's something wrong.

Gaudreau had a great tournament and was smothered by the Finnish defense just like the rest of the team. Eichel had a very poor tournament and the game against Finland was no exception. I had had a bad day, to which this game was the capper, so I was just blowing off steam. I'll look forward to the next World Championships and hope the US can figure it all out one day since this is basically all there will be for the senior team for the next half decade at least.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The biggest difference between Eichel and Gaudreau is that Gaudreau can use(and does use) his skill in the dirty areas of the ice, the prime scoring areas. IMHO, Eichel is too much of a perimeter threat, he doesn't have the hands in tight like guys like Matthews and Gaudreau have.

Scoring in tight is the biggest thing I want him to work on offensively. I wonder how much his long stick factors in. Either way, he is a tempo-controlling possession forward, not a darting player.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Eichel is a better version of David Krejci. Thats certainly not bad.....but its not McDavidish either.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Scoring in tight is the biggest thing I want him to work on offensively. I wonder how much his long stick factors in. Either way, he is a tempo-controlling possession forward, not a darting player.

Yes, I was thinking about this too...before hearing u say it

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Eichel is a better version of David Krejci. Thats certainly not bad.....but its not McDavidish either.

can you people stop? he's literally primed for a PPG season next year.....jesus talk about overreaction for the guy. Stop whining about international play unless you seriously thought that another U.S player that was both ready to play and better than Eichel out there that wasn't preoccupied with something else. He shouldn't of come to play because U.S fans don't even appreciate him.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
can you people stop? he's literally primed for a PPG season next year.....jesus talk about overreaction for the guy. Stop whining about international play unless you seriously thought that another U.S player that was both ready to play and better than Eichel out there that wasn't preoccupied with something else. He shouldn't of come to play because U.S fans don't even appreciate him.

why did all the other young players do so well at the tournament. Nylander (MVP), Marner, Mackinnon, Schiefle, etc. People always make excuses for Eichel.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
why did all the other young players do so well at the tournament. Nylander (MVP), Marner, Mackinnon, Schiefle, etc. People always make excuses for Eichel.

not every young player did well especially the D-Men...:popcorn: prove their wasn't 5 young players playing in this....stop whining and basically blaming all of U.S shortcomings on one player. Team USA is always unprepared to play in the tourney once it starts to matter and this year it was no different. Hope Eichel doesn't bother to show up for any other events because the US fans just find someone to blame constantly.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
not every young player did well especially the D-Men...:popcorn: prove their wasn't 5 young players playing in this....stop whining and basically blaming all of U.S shortcomings on one player. Team USA is always unprepared to play in the tourney once it starts to matter and this year it was no different. Hope Eichel doesn't bother to show up for any other events because the US fans just find someone to blame constantly.

Eichel was unprepared the entire tournament, that's the difference. His lackadaisical attitude and poor effort through the preliminary rounds absolutely impacted the team's state of mind for Finland.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I'm a little less exciting about Eichel overall than I was on his arrival in the NHL. Yes he was on a point streak this year but then again I believe Ron Ward won the the WHA scoring title one year too.

I find his style oddly passive at times and he often plays on the perimeter. I'm also not as excited about his overall skating ability. Fast yes but not as quick or maneuverable as some.

Reminds me of Frank Mahovlich in some ways which is not necessarily a bad thing just sometimes frustrating.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
That was like...our 'D' team, or at best our 'C' team.

Then again, it was Canada's 'D' team as well. :laugh:

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I'm a little less exciting about Eichel overall than I was on his arrival in the NHL. Yes he was on a point streak this year but then again I believe Ron Ward won the the WHA scoring title one year too.
Maybe you are thinking about someone else but Ron Ward was never close to winning any scoring title.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad