WC: 2017 Team Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Not a fan of steen, a very meh player and have been pretty bad in th national team.

Nylander – Bäckström – Rakell
Forsberg – Backlund - Zetterberg
Arvidsson - Wennberg - Johansson
Sedin – Sedin – Silfverberg
HM: Landeskog, Nyquist, Zibanejad,

Hedman - Karlsson
OEL – Klingberg
Hjalmarsson - Strålman
HM: Larsson, Lindholm, Ekholm

I would give the 2 first d-pair about 25 min each

In 1-2 year I expect Sedins will be out of the team.

Silfverberg have conflicted feelings about, I think he is very good in NHL, a very complete player, espically in the playoffs. But have been pretty bad in the national team.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
On the defence I would rather have Hjalmarsson over Klefbom, Strålman over Larsson and OEL over Ekholm. Not sure about Lindholm but both him and Klefbom could make the cut.

I would not split up Klefbom-Larsson for Hjalmarsson and Strålman. Klefbom-Larsson have great chemistry and have been one of the best pairing in NHL this season.

OEL is always meh in the national team, Ekholm and Lindholm is elite, top-15 in NHL.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
OEL - Karlsson
Hedman - Strålman
Klingberg - Lindholm
Klefbom-Larsson
Brodin-Ekholm
Hjalmarsson

This defensive depth is insane! This is also without perhaps the biggest swedish dman prospect ever, Rasmus Dahlin, who might break through before any of the other guys have passed their primes.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
With finlands victory, it feels like we are one step closer to the final. Finland feels easier then USA.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
With finlands victory, it feels like we are one step closer to the final. Finland feels easier then USA.

Don't jinx it!! :)
If we don't get to the final with this roster and considering the rosters Finland and Switzerland has brought to this tournament, then Grönborg must be fired. But that won't happen I guess...

archibald

Apr 14, 2017
Söderberg needs to be a healthy scratch now. Dress Omark instead. We need some scoring from our depth guys. At least he has some offensive upside.
What is Söderbergs role? He doesn't score, he doesn't hit.

Mar 14, 2015
PP needs a change... Would go on Backstroms unit having Klingberg + Nylander on the blueline utilizing Nylander in a better position and moving JEE to that unit in the middle. Then Lindholms unit having Hedman and OEL on the blueline.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Söderberg needs to be a healthy scratch now. Dress Omark instead. We need some scoring from our depth guys. At least he has some offensive upside.
What is Söderbergs role? He doesn't score, he doesn't hit.

Söderberg played 6 minutes this game, he's such a minor issue. We all know Omark is the first player to disappear in games like these, he's not a saviour.

This is Grönborg hockey we are seeing, I bet we are going to look passive as hell against the Finns. I'd love to see our national team play with some fire, it's just not going to happen with this coach.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Söderberg played 6 minutes this game, he's such a minor issue. We all know Omark is the first player to disappear in games like these, he's not a saviour.

This is Grönborg hockey we are seeing, I bet we are going to look passive as hell against the Finns. I'd love to see our national team play with some fire, it's just not going to happen with this coach.

Omark is not supposed to be the saviour. He, if placed with players who have some hockey iq, can generate offense on a second line where they would be sheltered by the first line. There he could help to provide some secondary scoring. How many of the Swedish forwards in this team would outscore Omark in the KHL outside of Nylander, Bäckström and perhaps Lindholm?

I think the real issue here is that we filled the team with bottom 6 nhl low skilled grinders and they dump n chase on big ice instead of using it. Its just horrible to watch... There is no creativity outside the first line...

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
OEL was not good against Swiss, soft and tentative. Cut his minutes, certainly on the pp.

Our D's arent playing good, offense or defense. I think Klingberg is showing some stardust at times but Hedman and OEL are a disappointment. Strålman is acceptable but in all honesty... they can hardly get a puck on net. Defensive coverage is sketchie. Lundqvist saved us this game... OEL scored the only Swiss goal hahaha. :yo:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Our D's arent playing good, offense or defense. I think Klingberg is showing some stardust at times but Hedman and OEL are a disappointment. Strålman is acceptable but in all honesty... they can hardly get a puck on net. Defensive coverage is sketchie. Lundqvist saved us this game... OEL scored the only Swiss goal hahaha. :yo:

Yes, Lundqvist was good but we have to give the defense credit for dealing with all the rebounds, lots of tricky situations.

As long as we keep winning I am not super concerned but hopefully we will play better vs Finland and even better in the finals (if reaching the finals...).

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

I can assure you we will be playing with fire vs Canada. Sweden somehow manage to adjust ourselves to any team we are facing and this is both good and bad.

If facing Russia...... no teams frustrates me like Russia. Many times Sweden leading the game and possesion but Russia scoring on their boring frustrating counter attack hockey. Even though we have a bigger chance winning vs Russia I really want us to reach the finals and play Canada, the hockey played will most probably be much more fun physical, offensive and open.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Yes, Lundqvist was good but we have to give the defense credit for dealing with all the rebounds, lots of tricky situations.

As long as we keep winning I am not super concerned but hopefully we will play better vs Finland and even better in the finals (if reaching the finals...).

It's still too nonchalant they have to be more responsible with the puck and watch the puck way less when playing without the puck in the d-zone. These are fundamentals that our d-men are way too good to ignore.

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Well this was probably oel's best game of the tournament so far. Crisp outlet passes and sound defensive plays. People blaming him for the cluster**** zone entry defense and follow up by Brodin on the Suisse goal...

That said, the pairing of oel brodin has undoubtedly been the worst so far.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
This feels like we are on half way in the final; so much overhype:)

Trust me, even if you want to think so yourself, Finland is never underestimated in hockey by Sweden, it is only one single game, anything can happen.

Maybe underestimated by Wikegård but not of the rest of the people and not by the players.

We will probably win but a tight game would not surprise me at all.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Sweden doesn't have the same luxury as Canada. I'd rather have a 4th line with grinders/defensively sound forwards from the NHL, such as Kruger and Nordstrom, who are used to facing these Canadians and Ameticans on a daily basis, if the alternative is to throw together a 4th consisting of Omark, R. Rosen and Gynge...

If you don't want to reward failure, why would you reward Omark? He's a failed offensive forward at the NHL level, and wasn't versatile enough to contribute with anything else.

I'm not against Omark playing in the quarter finals, but him being scratched isn't nearly as big of a deal as some make it to be. If they play Omark, it should be at the expense of Soderberg, and not someone like Kruger.

Even though I repeated that I do not have any big problems with the players in whc, you do not seem to read that? I do not mind Kruger etc in whc, but when we have all our best, they shall not even be close to the team, players like Bäckström, Backlund, wennberg, zibanejad, sedin etc are all good defensivly but also offer much more offensivly, they are simple a 1-2 tier above Kruger. What I mind is putting in grinder or "defensive" players or what ever you want to call them for the sake of it. The best shall play.

Omark is one of the best players in KHL, people have respect for russian KHL players that are the best there, so why not Omark? He could probabaly be a 50-60p player in NHL today, but no I do not see it as a big deal.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Even though I repeated that I do not have any big problems with the players in whc, you do not seem to read that? I do not mind Kruger etc in whc, but when we have all our best, they shall not even be close to the team, players like Bäckström, Backlund, wennberg, zibanejad, sedin etc are all good defensivly but also offer much more offensivly, they are simple a 1-2 tier above Kruger. What I mind is putting in grinder or "defensive" players or what ever you want to call them for the sake of it. The best shall play.

Omark is one of the best players in KHL, people have respect for russian KHL players that are the best there, so why not Omark? He could probabaly be a 50-60p player in NHL today, but no I do not see it as a big deal.

Radulov is a much better player and just had 54 points in the NHL(76gms)
highly unlikely Omark can get 50-60 points in the NHL.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Swedens play leave some things to disire, thats true, but the Swiss is not a bad team. Getting a win against them should always count as an acceptable performance.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Söderberg benched in the third against Swiss, "no motivation yet". Probably not, but the writing is on the wall Yeti. No production and worse, no physicality. I mean where's the effort level.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/x6jMR/soderberg-om-bankningen-inte-fatt-nagon-motivering

Actually I think he started to look little bit better yesterday but then Grönborg decided to bench him. :sarcasm:

Anyway, Söderberg has been pretty bad in this tournament, almost invisisble, not making a difference, I guess more icetime is crucial for him trying to find his old way of playing but I will not cry if he is benched for the rest of tournament.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Was wondering what a fully loaded Swedish team would look like..Accurate?

Steen - Backstrom - Forsberg
Landeskog - Zetterberg - W. Nylander
Sedin- Sedin - Nyqvist
Arvidsson - Zibanejad - Silfverberg
Johansson

Hedman - Karlsson
OEL - Stralman
Klefbom - Lindholm
Brodin - Klingberg

Lundqvist
Lehner

I dont get how people miss out on Backlund. He should have been a Selke nominee this year (I am guessing he will end up top 5 in the voting). I don't see the Sedins making the team anymore.

Landeskog - Bäckström - Nylander
Arvidsson - Wennberg - Forsberg
Rakell - Backlund - Silfverberg
Zetterberg - Zibanejad - Johansson
HM: Nyquist, Hörnqvist, Hagelin, Eriksson

Hedman - Strålman
Hjalmarsson - Karlsson
OEL - Larsson
Lindholm - Klingberg
HM: Ekholm, Klefbom

Lundqvist
Lehner
Markström

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006

You could clearly see that Hedman is better than our other defenders but maybe not in top shape or hampered by the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad