WC: 2017 Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
They may do fine, but was is your certitude based on?
What other goalies are there? Lack is playing for Sweden. Howard and Hellebuyck for the US. Mrazek for the Czechs. Vasilevkiy for Russia. Korpisalo for Finland? Johnson and Pickard don't seem to be that much worse than these. Canada is having a team that should win even if allowed 2-3 goals per game with teams like Sweden. That's what I mean by ok. I'm not saying "great", but who knows. I certainly don't expect Pickard to allow 4+ goals against Russia for example. He's good enough to manage a 5-2 result for us for example.

Meanwhile, O'Reilly with a great chance.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
What other goalies are there? Lack is playing for Sweden. Howard and Hellebuyck for the US. Mrazek for the Czechs. Vasilevkiy for Russia. Korpisalo for Finland? Johnson and Pickard don't seem to be that much worse than these. Canada is having a team that should win even if allowed 2-3 goals per game with teams like Sweden. That's what I mean by ok. I'm not saying "great", but who knows. I certainly don't expect Pickard to allow 4+ goals against Russia for example. He's good enough to manage a 5-2 result for us for example.

Watch out for Russian offense...could be deadly.

They will be running Panarin-Shipachyov-Dadonov who have insane chemistry, then combo Gusev-Kucherov which has potential to be also deadly, these 2 played together as youngsters....Mozyakin-Tkachyov should be another one. Possibly joined by Ovechkin and Kuznetsov, eventually Tarasenko.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

The other goaltenders in the tournament not being overwhelming doesn't mean in any way that Canada's goaltenders will do well. I am more optimistic about Pickard than most seem to be, but no one can be sure that they will be fine. Johnson isn't the calibre of n NHL starter an Pickard is largely a question mark due to the Colorado team that plays in front of him. There is plenty of history even from this decade indicating that goalies of this level can struggle for Canada at this tournament, particularly with a young defence in front of them.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Simmonds with a PP goal, and what a beauty!! Skinner and Giroux with the assists, Simmonds had an opened net. Beautiful goal.

PP lines, btw - Duchene, MacKinnon, Scheifele, O'Reilly, Barrie ; Schenn, Giroux, Simmonds, Skinner, Matheson

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
The other goaltenders in the tournament not being overwhelming doesn't mean in any way that Canada's goaltenders will do well. I am more optimistic about Pickard than most seem to be, but no one can be sure that they will be fine. Johnson isn't the calibre of n NHL starter an Pickard is largely a question mark due to the Colorado team that plays in front of him. There is plenty of history even from this decade indicating that goalies of this level can struggle for Canada at this tournament, particularly with a young defence in front of them.

No other team than Canada has some special kind of offense for me to be worried.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Watch out for Russian offense...could be deadly.

They will be running Panarin-Shipachyov-Dadonov who have insane chemistry, then combo Gusev-Kucherov which has potential to be also deadly, these 2 played together as youngsters....Mozyakin-Tkachyov should be another one. Possibly joined by Ovechkin and Kuznetsov, eventually Tarasenko.

+Kaprizov.

Some like that

Gusev-Namestnikov-Kucherov
Mozyakin-Tkachev-Kaprizov
Panarin-Shipachev-Dadonov
Plotnikov- Telegin-Nichushkin

and maybe two players after 2 round SC

But Russia will play very bad.
Znarok lousy coach(

Team Russia dont have strong tactics or smart combination game.

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
2nd period's over. Killorn-Couturier-Simmonds line is killing it imo.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
btw, from the little I see from the US-Italy game, the US is looking pretty good. 5-1 at the end of the second.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
TC with a PP.

PP's over, looking fine.

Then, Point with a good play, hit the post.

Great play by Couturier, his line at it again.

Last edited:

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Scoring so far...

First Period
1-0 Canada, Lee (McKinnon) 4:16
2-0 Canada, Couturier (Simmonds) 5:42
3-0 Canada, Giroux 13:06
3-1 Switzerland, Suter (Almond) 18:48
Second Period
4-1 Canada, Simmonds (Skinner, Giroux) 16:38 (pp)

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
SWI had a pp, again good PK by Canada. One chance there for SWI.

Canada with a PP now.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
The game's over. 4-1 the final score. Certainly a good performance. Not many mistakes. Special teams were pretty good. The speed was there the whole game. The Killorn-Couturier-Simmonds line impressed me. O'Reilly selected as the best players for Canada.

Shots on goal 41-17. Certainly one of the best pre-tournament games I've seen for this tournament from Canada, if not the best.

Last edited:

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
The game's over. 4-1 the final score. Certainly a good performance. Not many mistakes. Special teams were pretty good. The speed was there the whole game. The Killorn-Couturier-Simmonds line impressed me. O'Reilly selected as the best players for Canada.

Shots on goal 41-17. Certainly one of the best pre-tournament games I've seen for this tournament from Canada, if not the best.

Thanks for all those updates. Would you be able to post the line combos?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
No other team than Canada has some special kind of offense for me to be worried.

Whether or not another team has "some special kind of offense" has nothing to do with being sure that Canada's goaltenders will do well. It's a below average NHL starter and an NHL backup. No one can guarantee anything. Canada has had better goaltenders, with better defences in front of them than on this team, blow games against weak WC teams plenty of times this decade. Concerns about goaltending are valid and cannot be waved away just because you wish it.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Thanks for all those updates. Would you be able to post the line combos?

It was

Skinner-Scheifele-O'Reilly
MacKinnon-Giroux-Duchene
Killorn-Couturier-Simmonds
Schenn/Konecny-Point-Marner

de Haan-Barrie
Matheson-Demers
Lee-Morrissey
Card

Johnson/Pickard

PP units

Giroux-Simmonds-Schenn-Skinner-Matheson