Prospect Info: 2017 Ranking #10

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Morrison's strength is his instincts for being in the right place at the right time. The puck tends to come to him, he won't go end to end, but he'll somehow end up standing right where the rebound ends up going. Yes, he is raw in some other spots, but I think he's going to take some big steps forward next year in those areas. He rounded out his game a lot in his freshman year, and I see no reason why that trend won't continue as he takes on a bigger role next year. Still a long term project, but ultimate upside is still good.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Henry scored 35 goals as a WHL rookie. I don't think it's far fetched to think he has equal goal scoring potential to Morrison. Maybe not as good a shot, but capability of putting the puck in the net is there for sure.

I'm not saying Henry can't put up goals, just that Morrison clearly has a better skill set there, and a better mentality for greasy goals. To me 35 goals in the WHL, while nothing to scoff at, isn't a marker for a good goal scorer. A good chunk of those were him being setup on a stacked PP unit. Morrison's 34 in the USHL is FAR more impressive, but the stats isn't what dictates it to me. Morrison's shot (not as hard as Henry's but it is a craftier release and very accurate), positioning, drive the net mentality, and knack for the greasy areas that separates him. Morrison may play a simpler game, but I think his simple game is very effective. I think he'll pop in 20+ for Notre Dame next season.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Anyone else thinking it's slightly problematic we'll only have one goalie in our Top 15 and potentially only one goalie in our Top 20?

Yes, but I don't think I'd trade Timmins for a goalie prospect. Maybe Henry lol, but I don't remember who was available when in the draft.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Anyone else thinking it's slightly problematic we'll only have one goalie in our Top 15 and potentially only one goalie in our Top 20?

And to think you're the one to bring that up... :sarcasm:

Yeah I sure would like a second decent goalie prospect in there. Let's hope their weird Euro picks work out.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm not saying Henry can't put up goals, just that Morrison clearly has a better skill set there, and a better mentality for greasy goals. To me 35 goals in the WHL, while nothing to scoff at, isn't a marker for a good goal scorer. A good chunk of those were him being setup on a stacked PP unit. Morrison's 34 in the USHL is FAR more impressive, but the stats isn't what dictates it to me. Morrison's shot (not as hard as Henry's but it is a craftier release and very accurate), positioning, drive the net mentality, and knack for the greasy areas that separates him. Morrison may play a simpler game, but I think his simple game is very effective. I think he'll pop in 20+ for Notre Dame next season.

I guess I just don't know enough about USHL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I guess I just don't know enough about USHL.

It is a pretty tough league to put up numbers in. Very defensive and the talent level is a lot higher than most give it credit for (to me the 3rd or 4th best junior league in NA... right up there with the CHL leagues). A PPG season is a tough thing to do, and 30+ goals will usually be top 10 and maybe 10-15 players will hit PPG if they player 40+ games. The WHL will routinely double or triple those numbers.

As an example Henry's 35 goals was tied for 18th in the WHL. Morrison's 34 was 3rd. With regard to points, Henry's 81 put him 23rd. Morrison's 66 had him 2nd. The scoring difference is quite large. Morrison stepping into Youngstown and put up one of the better rookie USHL seasons of the past 10 years (right up there with Kyle Connor's).

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Yes, but I don't think I'd trade Timmins for a goalie prospect. Maybe Henry lol, but I don't remember who was available when in the draft.

With Oettinger off the board I wouldn't have taken a goalie at 32nd overall. Zhukov, Primeau, Ferguson, Eriksson Ek all went after our first 4th round pick plus Dhillon who went undrafted.

And to think you're the one to bring that up... :sarcasm:

Yeah I sure would like a second decent goalie prospect in there. Let's hope their weird Euro picks work out.

I like to think I'm the Lorax of goalies sometimes.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
With Oettinger off the board I wouldn't have taken a goalie at 32nd overall. Zhukov, Primeau, Ferguson, Eriksson Ek all went after our first 4th round pick plus Dhillon who went undrafted.

I like to think I'm the Lorax of goalies sometimes.

I'll admit I'd hoped they were going to address the goalie prospect depth a bit better with this draft. Maybe Parkkila will have an influence on that in the future.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I dunno if it means anything but here's a list of fairly notable NHL players who played in the USHL:

http://www.ushl.com/page/show/1209183-nhl-alumni

Yes, both Paul Stastny AND Nate Guenin are on there. :laugh:

Trying to think of who he kinda/sorta projects to be. He's a crash-the-net type, as well as a shooter, but does he get his goals by planting himself in the slot, or does his scoring happen all over the ice? Just wondering if he's a Ciccarelli/Verbeek type (hopefully without all the PIMs). And yeah, I know these pro comparables are problematic, just trying to get an idea of what kind of player he is.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Add Clurman.

Morrison is getting a bit underrated IMO. Not that he has top line potential, but he might have the most goal scoring potential out of any prospect. He could be a legit 25g goal guy... a rich man's McGinn sort.

I'd be willing to bet a good amount Morrison never gets more than 20 and best case scenario he becomes McGinn. Rich man's Mcleod maybe

When you combine Morrison's skating, IQ and hands he really doesn't have a good chance to be more than a McGinn where I think Henry has the advantage over him in basically everything other than size/physicality

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Unless I'm mistaken, the USHL has improved a fair bit in recent years as far as quality of competition, although that may be just the rest of the hockey world catching up to reality.

As for goalie prospects, it does make me nervous that so much is riding on Werner and Kvaca right now. I understand their thinking as far as drafting Euros goes because it gives them longer to make up their minds, but it's kind of a long view on the problem, and I'm worried that the problem requires a more aggressive fix.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd be willing to bet a good amount Morrison never gets more than 20 and best case scenario he becomes McGinn. Rich man's Mcleod maybe

When you combine Morrison's skating, IQ and hands he really doesn't have a good chance to be more than a McGinn where I think Henry has the advantage over him in basically everything other than size/physicality

Quite a bold proclamation there... comparing him to McLeod is venturing into hyperbole. Significantly different skill sets there...

When you include Morrison's IQ in there, you're hurting your argument. A player doesn't consistently find himself in the scoring areas and the puck coming to him consistently without being a smart player. Your WHL bias is showing.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Quite a bold proclamation there... comparing him to McLeod is venturing into hyperbole. Significantly different skill sets there...

When you include Morrison's IQ in there, you're hurting your argument. A player doesn't consistently find himself in the scoring areas and the puck coming to him consistently without being a smart player. Your WHL bias is showing.

Morrison is obviously better but they play the same style of game a bit. He's an aggressive player who's around the net a lot. Pucks will find you in that area which doesn't take a high IQ. Your USHL bias is showing

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Yeah, you cannot knock Morrison's IQ. Just because he doesn't show the classical playmaker's skillset where he distributes the puck doesn't mean he's dumb. His type of IQ is more like Iginla's (obviously not a comparison based on ceiling, just style). He's got a real goal-scorer's touch, that's why he went in the 2nd despite being so raw. That kind of skill is almost impossible to teach.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Morrison is obviously better but they play the same style of game a bit. He's an aggressive player who's around the net a lot. Pucks will find you in that area which doesn't take a high IQ. Your USHL bias is showing

The same game as McLeod? Not even close...

He isn't just around the net with those pucks, he finds soft spots all over the offensive zone (especially when he spent some time at center in the past, though that won't be his NHL position). Labeling him as a low IQ guy who just parks by the net is not accurate at all to me. To the point where I don't feel there has been much evaluation done on him.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
The same game as McLeod? Not even close...

He isn't just around the net with those pucks, he finds soft spots all over the offensive zone (especially when he spent some time at center in the past, though that won't be his NHL position). Labeling him as a low IQ guy who just parks by the net is not accurate at all to me. To the point where I don't feel there has been much evaluation done on him.

Impressive how you're spinning what I say into what you want. I never said he was exactly like Mcleod but he does well in front of the net like Mcleod while also being physical at times. A rich man's Mcleod or a poor man's Mcginn is basically the same. Also never said he had a low IQ but that his IQ isn't elite either and wont be enough to make him what you think he'll become with his skillset. When I watched Morrison at the u18's and at ND the only time I came away impressed was his play around the net while the rest of his game in my viewings needed major work

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Impressive how you're spinning what I say into what you want. I never said he was exactly like Mcleod but he does well in front of the net like Mcleod while also being physical at times. A rich man's Mcleod or a poor man's Mcginn is basically the same. Also never said he had a low IQ but that his IQ isn't elite either and wont be enough to make him what you think he'll become with his skillset. When I watched Morrison at the u18's and at ND the only time I came away impressed was his play around the net while the rest of his game in my viewings needed major work

Please explain the spin. I asked on the McLeod part. I'm stating what Morrison is good at and how that helps his game while stating throwing a label out there like McLeod anything to get a reaction is a poor way to demonstrate the type of player Morrison is. Even if Morrison never became a player better than McLeod... he'd play a much different game. The way you are describing him is that he is just a net presence guy (please state otherwise if I am gathering that wrong). IMO that is not correct and it is obvious when watching a lot of his games. Not everybody is going to have the same evaluation, and I don't personally care what yours is, but people can get the wrong idea on a kid if a trusted poster (like yourself) starts throwing out who the kid is, especially it seems hyperbolic (the McLeod comparison that can draw ire from a lot of people on here, we both know that).

I've watched Morrison since his Ontario Junior A days. I've seen his good and his bad points over that time, and I feel pretty comfortable in saying that I don't think you are giving him a fair shake. I'm not the kid's biggest fan, and he wouldn't have been my selection there... but I separate that from my evaluation of the kid. You can go back on my post history... I said he'd have some issues at Notre Dame and that people shouldn't get down on him. I also said that even with his struggles he'd still put up 10-15 goals and 10-15 assists. People expecting him to take the NCAA by storm were going to be disappointed. Not only because it is a big step up, but Jackson isn't the type of coach to rely on freshman to be a focal point of his teams. Morrison should be a 20+ goal kid this year and ~40 points if he stays at wing (like I think he should). If Jackson moves him to center (some think that will happen)... I'd expect some struggles early while he adjusts back to the position.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Please explain the spin. I asked on the McLeod part. I'm stating what Morrison is good at and how that helps his game while stating throwing a label out there like McLeod anything to get a reaction is a poor way to demonstrate the type of player Morrison is. Even if Morrison never became a player better than McLeod... he'd play a much different game. The way you are describing him is that he is just a net presence guy (please state otherwise if I am gathering that wrong). IMO that is not correct and it is obvious when watching a lot of his games. Not everybody is going to have the same evaluation, and I don't personally care what yours is, but people can get the wrong idea on a kid if a trusted poster (like yourself) starts throwing out who the kid is, especially it seems hyperbolic (the McLeod comparison that can draw ire from a lot of people on here, we both know that).

I've watched Morrison since his Ontario Junior A days. I've seen his good and his bad points over that time, and I feel pretty comfortable in saying that I don't think you are giving him a fair shake. I'm not the kid's biggest fan, and he wouldn't have been my selection there... but I separate that from my evaluation of the kid. You can go back on my post history... I said he'd have some issues at Notre Dame and that people shouldn't get down on him. I also said that even with his struggles he'd still put up 10-15 goals and 10-15 assists. People expecting him to take the NCAA by storm were going to be disappointed. Not only because it is a big step up, but Jackson isn't the type of coach to rely on freshman to be a focal point of his teams. Morrison should be a 20+ goal kid this year and ~40 points if he stays at wing (like I think he should). If Jackson moves him to center (some think that will happen)... I'd expect some struggles early while he adjusts back to the position.

Didn't seem like an ask on the Mcleod part and I never said low IQ just not high enough with his weaknesses to become what you were saying. From what I've seen of Morrison(All his u18 games and 3 ND) he's excelled in front of the net like Mcleod does in getting his greasy goals. Also has similar size and likes to use it, those are the ways he's similar to Mcleod. I said he was obviously better but to me a rich man's Mcleod is a solid 3rd liner which I think is a fair expectation for Morrison(spot in lineup not style). I always liked Mcleod and was a valuable piece of the team so to me that's still a pretty good player.

I'll continue to watch him as his role should increase but what I have seen I have never liked his game other than around the net. Maybe I caught all bad games and maybe his role at the u18's didn't suit him. I never saw him in the USHL where he had a bigger role. I hope all of our prospects turn out but from what I've seen so far I'm not a fan even though I usually like PWFs.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Yeah, I don't get the McLeod comparison. Morrison is an offensive guy. McLeod is your typical 4th line physical grinder who gives you energy, defense, hitting, and PK ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad