2017 PGA Championship

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
They don't have to go on at 7 am but I don't see why 10 am can't happen so we don't miss the entire rounds of the 830 guys

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Putting's gonna have to improve from last week. If Jordan would've putted well last week, he would've won, but it was atrocious on Saturday and Sunday. It had shown some improvements from the US Open to the Open, but still not at a good level. The rest of the game looks pretty sharp from what I've seen. Should be in with a chance, depends how well he putts.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Just look it up and, goodness, rain is definitely a possibility. Wow, pretty much every day this week has like a 40-60% chance of rain/showers. Course is going to end up being pretty soft, methinks.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This schedule change makes no sense to me.

They claim its to not compete with American Football for TV ratings, but American football is a dying sport, should wait it out. It won't be around in 20 years. Are they going to change it back when American football is gone?

Besides, you are limiting your venues. I have a hard time believing you can properly set up a mid-may PGA in the North East or Northern Mid-West. 2019, 2022 and 2023 are now going to be iffy, those could be really poor set-ups those years, if those are cold winters.

The Players becomes even less relevant. Its now just a tune up for the Masters. The PGA Tour is going to bill it as a marquee event in March, but for the players it'll just be a Masters tune up event. I wouldn't even be surprised if some don't turn up due to it not going well with their pre-Augusta schedule.

And I also don't like the idea of Majors being four consecutive months. Majors are set up for the best players to play the best. Its not for average Joe who's having a good second third of the year. Does anyone remember how poor the form of the top players this year was in May and June? I think having them as spread out as possible is good for getting the best results in majors. Much more likely that over the course of a spread out time the best players will play the best than a confined amount of time. If anything, I'd spread it out even more, move the Open to August and PGA to October. I'm sure the average player on the PGA Tour likes this change. Most of them have been campaigning for a shorter season and this also favors their chances in majors, but these guys are getting so lazy. You aren't forced to play any event, now you want an extra month off when you only work 1/2 the year anyway.

Jan 3, 2012
This schedule change makes no sense to me.

They claim its to not compete with American Football for TV ratings, but American football is a dying sport, should wait it out. It won't be around in 20 years. Are they going to change it back when American football is gone?

Besides, you are limiting your venues. I have a hard time believing you can properly set up a mid-may PGA in the North East or Northern Mid-West. 2019, 2022 and 2023 are now going to be iffy, those could be really poor set-ups those years, if those are cold winters.

The Players becomes even less relevant. Its now just a tune up for the Masters. The PGA Tour is going to bill it as a marquee event in March, but for the players it'll just be a Masters tune up event. I wouldn't even be surprised if some don't turn up due to it not going well with their pre-Augusta schedule.

And I also don't like the idea of Majors being four consecutive months. Majors are set up for the best players to play the best. Its not for average Joe who's having a good second third of the year. Does anyone remember how poor the form of the top players this year was in May and June? I think having them as spread out as possible is good for getting the best results in majors. Much more likely that over the course of a spread out time the best players will play the best than a confined amount of time. If anything, I'd spread it out even more, move the Open to August and PGA to October. I'm sure the average player on the PGA Tour likes this change. Most of them have been campaigning for a shorter season and this also favors their chances in majors, but these guys are getting so lazy. You aren't forced to play any event, now you want an extra month off when you only work 1/2 the year anyway.

What? :laugh:

Any evidence?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I didn't realize how much I missed being able to watch golf (and sports, and anything in general really) after being unable to do much of anything over the past month or so.

Time for Rors to tear up one of his favorite tracks and banish any and all Spieth headlines (for a short period of time, at least ;))

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
And no, American Football is not dying.

That's a ludicrous proclamation, Pavel. If the "NFL is dying", then so is every other single major American professional sport. The league may never consistently hit the highs it did in the beginning and middle of this decade, but it is still healthier than probably every other American sport combined. There will always be an appetite and other leagues would kill for the ratio of female viewership the league commands.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
I like the PGA Championship were it was. August is pretty dead sports wise. May is jammed, plus it's spring so there's a ton of things to do outside. Personally, I don't see myself dedicating much time to watch it.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I like the move actually..pga always feels a bit underwhelming, I think it fits better in May. Just opinion really.

Also a shame about the rain, it totally ruined last years tournament which was beyond saving anyway with Jimmy Walker winning

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad