2017 Offseason Thread 4.0 - Free Agent Frenzy Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
There's been a lot of good hockey players that weren't known for their great fitness.

Pronger couldn't even run a mile in under 12 minutes.

I dunno. One night after I skated in a game on the pond after Ducks/Kings, we were standing around outside BS'ing and Pronger came out of the doorways as his ride pulled up. He briskly walked past about 6 kids who had waited over 2 hours for his autograph, barely glancing at them.

He looked like an Olympic speed walker, I think those guys go under 12 min.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
During the draft broadcast some commentators were discussing the fact that Casey Mittelstadt couldn't do a single pull up. It was then mentioned that Pronger couldn't run a mile in under 12 minutes. It could be BS, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was true. Being in shape to play a hockey game doesn't necessarily mean you're in shape for running or to have a nice physique. There's guys in the NHL that have the "dad bod" look.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
During the draft broadcast some commentators were discussing the fact that Casey Mittelstadt couldn't do a single pull up. It was then mentioned that Pronger couldn't run a mile in under 12 minutes. It could be BS, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was true. Being in shape to play a hockey game doesn't necessarily mean you're in shape for running or to have a nice physique. There's guys in the NHL that have the "dad bod" look.

It would surprise the hell out of me. In my 30's I could easily run a mile in under 12 minutes with zero training. Certainly in my 20's.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
It would surprise the hell out of me. In my 30's I could easily run a mile in under 12 minutes with zero training. Certainly in my 20's.

Honestly im just about positive my 7 year old daughter can. And shes only a mediocre hockey player in her age group lol

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
There's been a lot of good hockey players that weren't known for their great fitness.

Pronger couldn't even run a mile in under 12 minutes.

If you've ever gone hiking with someone over 6' 5" you know that cannot be true. Those tall guys take like 1 stride for every 3 strides a normal person takes.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

I would be more concerned with how skilled Casey Mittelstadt is. He will eventually grow into his body and add strength.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I would be more concerned with how skilled Casey Mittelstadt is. He will eventually grow into his body and add strength.
I believe he also had the worst V02max test results of anyone. Pretty sure there's been prospects before that couldn't do a pull up.

In a way it's a good thing. If he's "out of shape" and already this good, then how good will he be once he gets into better shape?

I have similar feelings about Vilardi's skating.

If you've ever gone hiking with someone over 6' 5" you know that cannot be true. Those tall guys take like 1 stride for every 3 strides a normal person takes.

Height isn't really any significant advantage (or detriment) when running. Longer legs means more distance per stride, but it also takes longer to complete one stride. Tall successful runners are rare. That's part of the reason why Usain Bolt is so unique. The average height of a sprinter is 6ft. The average height of marathon runner is about 5ft7in. If height was an advantage then these guys would be taller on average.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site

I'm sure hockey and running are very similar. It's endurance and ligament sensitive. The amount of odd shaped bodies in hockey is indeed odd.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
I believe he also had the worst V02max test results of anyone. Pretty sure there's been prospects before that couldn't do a pull up.

In a way it's a good thing. If he's "out of shape" and already this good, then how good will he be once he gets into better shape?

I have similar feelings about Vilardi's skating.

Height isn't really any significant advantage (or detriment) when running. Longer legs means more distance per stride, but it also takes longer to complete one stride. Tall successful runners are rare. That's part of the reason why Usain Bolt is so unique. The average height of a sprinter is 6ft. The average height of marathon runner is about 5ft7in. If height was an advantage then these guys would be taller on average.
Like you said, pull ups are not a typical movement and must be trained for improvement. There really isn't much functional benefit to training for it. If his Vo2M is indeed that bad, that is truly a concern. That is a complete lack of commitment. Maybe he should mix in a walk and unplug the Xbox.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is just broscience but when I was in the best running shape of my life i was in mediocre hockey shape, and when I was in the best hockey shape of my life I was in terrible weight training and mediocre running shape. They're all different activities that SOMEWHAT help others but yeah I don't see huge red flags when a guy can't do a pullup for hockey--as JohnJM said, some teams even see that as a potential/capacity for improvement (i.e. the great Doughty vs. Bogosian debates). "Functional benefit" is probably the best operative term here. I think of guys like Greene and Jack Johnson who were upper body beasts but JJ could hardly deliver a hit if it didn't involve a bench pressing motion.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Hugh Jessiman is the reason why you can't do the eyeball test on hockey players. They should have over developed lower body with a lean upper body. But for every Jeff Carter there is a Wayne Gretzky or Babe Ruth. Just another reason why NHL scouts have it so tough, you can't measure heart, determination, character, maturity by having a guy do box jumps or pull ups.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
alex-semin-jason-arnott-alex-ovechkin-goal400.jpg

Ovechkin and Semin look like they could play on my beer league team. Compare that to a guy like Stoll who's ripped but couldn't even keep pace with these guys.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Good thing hockey players aren't judged by their physique, otherwise you'd see GMs and scouts acting like this whenever they see a "physical specimen."

ef28TQS.gif

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
If their is one thing I would not trade, it's the 2018 1st round pick, because this team has such a narrow path to make the playoffs between the depth of the west (only VAN, COL and VGK have no shot) meaning their are 12 teams for 8 spots, plus the injury history and poor performance of key players in recent years.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
If their is one thing I would not trade, it's the 2018 1st round pick, because this team has such a narrow path to make the playoffs between the depth of the west (only VAN, COL and VGK have no shot) meaning their are 12 teams for 8 spots, plus the injury history and poor performance of key players in recent years.
Yep, that pick has to stay with us.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't think management will heavily invest in this roster again until they prove there's a reason to. They won't rebuild yet, because the potential is still there, and they'll give it until Doughty chooses one road or the other.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I wonder what Blake has in mind for the approx. $6 million in cap space we have. He could easily use that money to sign both Jagr and Vanek if they are willing to take 1 year deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad