2017 Offseason Thread 4.0 - Free Agent Frenzy Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Unless there are injuries, I extremely doubt we see Amadio in LA this season but, hey, I hope you are right and he plays his way on to the team in a Toffoli/Pearson fashion.

What do you think we could get for Carter at the deadline now that all the kids are asking for Kopi money??

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
He's a core piece, not getting traded. Every season his contract becomes more of an asset. Plus he's one of the best centers in the game.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
This topic has been beaten to death on this fourm. The Kings have no reason to trade Carter unless they are trading Doughty, Kopitar, Toffoli, etc. the only reason you trade Carter is if your going for a full blown rebuild

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
not saying we'd trade him but its always good to know the value of your assets just in case the team implodes....

Value changes. What it is today, isn't what it is in September, isn't what it is at the deadline, etc. Depends on where the Kings are, where the other team is, what Carter is or isn't doing himself, etc. Someone who nobody would say the Kings could get for Carter might end up being the guy they could get. The question can't really be answered until he's dealt.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
This topic has been beaten to death on this fourm. The Kings have no reason to trade Carter unless they are trading Doughty, Kopitar, Toffoli, etc. the only reason you trade Carter is if your going for a full blown rebuild

In a few years if they have someone pushing for Carter's spot and someone offers a lot. then sure

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Carter, Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick is your core.

Close second are Toffoli and Pearson due to age, but if they become too expensive you trade them.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Carter, Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick is your core.

Close second are Toffoli and Pearson due to age, but if they become too expensive you trade them.

Unfortunately with the way salaries are rising you might have to do that.... but if thats the case then you hold on to DD, AK and JQ and begin your rebuild with Vilardi, Amadio, JAD, Clague, Wagner and the rest.... Carter, Muzzin, Martinez, Toffoli become trade candidates, Gabby likely gets bought out and Brownie ???

But all this is assuming the team utterly stinks....

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
I'd like to see Blake reach out to Jordan Weal. Lots of interest in him. Would love to see him back and have him in the top 6.

I get the feeling if he were to sign with the Kings that he'd be the second coming of Teddy Purcell. Basically a guy that finds some success away from Los Angeles under a more loosey-goosey offensive scheme who lays an egg once they get here.

He's a core piece, not getting traded. Every season his contract becomes more of an asset. Plus he's one of the best centers in the game.

I kind of agree, yet I disagree as well.

Jeff Carter is an important part of this team as he is producing at a very high level at a very affordable cap hit, but you have to look at the simple fact that he's 32-years old, going on 33 next January.

It's hard, but you can't hold onto an aging player and wait until he starts showing signs of taking a dive on the production bell curve before you even start thinking about moving him. When you wait too long you end up with a weak return that does not help the team get assets to stay at a competitive level.

I think it would be like having a car where you do absolutely no upkeep and being resigned to driving it into the ground. Buying a whole new vehicle after it catastrophically fail makes absolutely no sense to me as an approach to take.

So selectively choosing what parts you are going to swap out is not a full-on rebuild as far as I see it. That's just a basic part of maintenance where you take old parts before it totally breaks down and swap it out for newer ones to keep your machine running smoothly for years on end.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I get the feeling if he were to sign with the Kings that he'd be the second coming of Teddy Purcell. Basically a guy that finds some success away from Los Angeles under a more loosey-goosey offensive scheme who lays an egg once they get here.

I kind of agree, yet I disagree as well.

Jeff Carter is an important part of this team as he is producing at a very high level at a very affordable cap hit, but you have to look at the simple fact that he's 32-years old, going on 33 next January.

It's hard, but you can't hold onto an aging player and wait until he starts showing signs of taking a dive on the production bell curve before you even start thinking about moving him. When you wait too long you end up with a weak return that does not help the team get assets to stay at a competitive level.

I think it would be like having a car where you do absolutely no upkeep and being resigned to driving it into the ground. Buying a whole new vehicle after it catastrophically fail makes absolutely no sense to me as an approach to take.

So selectively choosing what parts you are going to swap out is not a full-on rebuild as far as I see it. That's just a basic part of maintenance where you take old parts before it totally breaks down and swap it out for newer ones to keep your machine running smoothly for years on end.

I know guys on here have stated that value fluctuates but the fact remains that Jeff Carter has been consistent the last 3 seasons and will likely continue to do so... so the real question becomes, with salaries skyrocketing and Carter being on what is now a bargain contract do we maximize his value at the trade deadline??? especially if we sign Joe Thornton and he performs to his standards????

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The thing with Carter and his age is he could buck the trend and be a Marleau type that is worth his cap hit even at age 35 and beyond.

What could they get for him at this year's deadline? Would he get a Jack Johnson type defenseman and a first round pick like in 2012? That might be a tall order considering his age. I think a first round pick would definitely be included but don't know if you get an NHL player back or if it is a prospect.

If they get Thornton and all the best players are playing their best, they aren't trading Carter at the deadline. They'd be buyers and not sellers.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/...ocial&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1498664126
Thus far, according to various credible reports, Thornton and Marleau’s ring tones have been singing. Those outlier Shark fans who have been critical of Thornton (allegedly too slow) and Marleau (allegedly not fiery enough) might be surprised to know that the rest of the league greatly much lusts after them. If this were the Bachelorette, it seems the Los Angeles Kings would be groveling for roses.

And the Kings aren’t alone.

Thornton, as the best free agent center available even at his advanced age, has drawn interest from a dozen teams including Montreal, Toronto, Nashville, the New York Rangers and the Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins. But the hottest team after Thornton is the Kings, where his former Sharks teammate, Rob Blake, is the new general manager.

Marleau, meanwhile, has reportedly received expressions of interest from Anaheim, Toronto, Carolina, Nashville, Los Angeles, Edmonton and the Rangers.

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
I know guys on here have stated that value fluctuates but the fact remains that Jeff Carter has been consistent the last 3 seasons and will likely continue to do so... so the real question becomes, with salaries skyrocketing and Carter being on what is now a bargain contract do we maximize his value at the trade deadline??? especially if we sign Joe Thornton and he performs to his standards????

The thing with Carter and his age is he could buck the trend and be a Marleau type that is worth his cap hit even at age 35 and beyond.

What could they get for him at this year's deadline? Would he get a Jack Johnson type defenseman and a first round pick like in 2012? That might be a tall order considering his age. I think a first round pick would definitely be included but don't know if you get an NHL player back or if it is a prospect.

If they get Thornton and all the best players are playing their best, they aren't trading Carter at the deadline. They'd be buyers and not sellers.

The thing for me is, a team is either actively in the mix to be in the Stanley Cup Finals on a regular basis or they're building to become a team that can get there. When I look at the Kings' last three years and holes in the roster it makes it hard for me to see them as legitimate contenders for the Stanley Cup. I think they are trending towards the "build it" category, personally.

They have maybe four top-six forwards (Kopitar, Carter, Pearson, and Toffoli) with two key members that helped the 2014 effort (Brown and Gaborik) not performing at that level of play for multiple seasons now.

The defense is really young and inexperienced without the savvy veteran support to back them up like in 2012 and 2014.

I don't know which is worse and can be fixed to be honest.

The potential signing of Joe Thornton (if it actually happens) could be a band-aid move that buys some time until a guy like Gabriel Vilardi hopefully pans out in a year or two to be an actual cost effective, homegrown solution. Or it lets the team move a beloved scorer for depth like a "Bernie Nicholls for Tomas Sandstrom and Tony Granato" trade since he is productive, affordable, playoff tested, and in an older age category that does not hurt the future of the Kings.

Kopitar has a salary and provisions in his contract that makes him difficult to trade to another club. Pearson and Toffoli are the youngest members of the top-six group. That leaves Carter for me as the oldest yet most valuable piece to change the structure of the team.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Uhhh, Kopitar should be a player who gets the puck into high danger areas.

I get Blake and Robitaille are going to go for it this season, but if the Kings are not in playoff position and looking like a contender at the deadline, I hope they do the right thing.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Greetings. Are you guys looking for more offense this offseason? Is Muzzin for a scoring winger something you guys would entertain?

Keith Sweaty

Apr 13, 2015
Love how this board is jonesing for Joe when in the past everyone was saying that Joe is not a leader, he'll never win a cup, etc. etc. etc.

You guys are MAD funny.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Love how this board is jonesing for Joe when in the past everyone was saying that Joe is not a leader, he'll never win a cup, etc. etc. etc.

You guys are MAD funny.

He doesn't need to be a leader. He would provide exactly what the kings needs, points. I don't like him nor the sharks but would love to see him help this team win again.

Jul 31, 2005
CA

You guys are MAD funny.

Well we got Teddy Purcell last summer. This is like Christmas time as a child, last year Dad was out of work and we got socks, this year we got a new Daddy who has plenty of cash to spend and we want Joe.

Keith Sweaty

Apr 13, 2015
He doesn't need to be a leader. He would provide exactly what the kings needs, points. I don't like him nor the sharks but would love to see him help this team win again.

I get it but it's just funny to me. This board is bi-polar and 90% of y'all have split personality disorder

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Not a chance. The Kings can't score and you want to move our #1 goal scorer. If Jumbo signs with the Kings, it's to make other players around him better so they can actually get some decent set ups and put the puck in the net. Thornton is not a goal scorer.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

You guys are MAD funny.

Kessel has shown that good players who are brought in as a supplemental role can provide a lot to the team. I'd take Thornton at the right price.

If it's for his same salary, then no, that would be terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad