GDT: 2017 NHL Trade Deadline Day

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The "speculation" is over. Trade Deadline Day. Get a GDT fired up.

At 9:30 a.m., Friedman reported that teams were checking in on Alex Nylander to see if Buffalo was willing to move him, but the Sabres aren't interested. Sharks (not the team) are circling to see if Buffalo will make a panic deal.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
My predictions:

Kulikov for a 2nd + a decent defense prospect.

Franson for a conditional 3rd, which becomes a 2nd if his new team makes the ECF/WCF and he plays 50% of the games.

That is about all I am expecting today.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think we get a 2nd OR a decent D prospect for Kuli, not both.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Kuli is a much better player than he's showed this season. I bet he's still injured.

I don't think teams will pay for past performance. 2nd + 4th seems about right.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Turn on wgr550 looking for trade deadline talk......talking about tyrod taylor.....typical.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Biron says Kane is peaking performance right now and it'd be a mistake for any team to take him. ahahahha (he's right :( )

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Are we doing a chat too closer to 3:00, or just sticking with the GDT?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'd add a good prospect (Pu/Baptiste) to Kane to try to get MTL to budge on Sergachev.

I would love that to happen, but I don't see that working for them against the cap.

Plus, they may have to decide between Radulov and Kane in 2017-18 in that scenario.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I would love that to happen, but I don't see that working for them against the cap.

Plus, they may have to decide between Radulov and Kane in 2017-18 in that scenario.

Yeah, I just looked at their team's cap hit for the first time in forever. No way it would work.

Also forgot how amazing that Pacioretty contract is.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
GMTM may not be able to trade Kulikov for peanuts. Consider the strong possibility that he's still a Sabre come 3pm.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I can't see Murray chasing draft picks the way our team is. That being said I am hoping Murray can bring some help in from some NHL ready prospects for Kuli and Franson.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Summary: If you're beholden to analytical models, Franson is a better buy than Kulikov even before you consider Kulikov will likely cost more:

They absolutely destroy Kulikov. He got his own bullet point of "who to avoid." :laugh:

WHO TO TARGET

Undervalued D-men: There’s a few here, and that’s because evaluating defense is very tough. The highest defenseman from Buffalo on this list costs more and is much worse. Cody Franson should be the guy to grab there and he’ll likely cost much less to acquire. He’s fallen off since his days in Toronto, but he’s still a dependable player who suppresses shots at a terrific rate. They may be in pillow soft minutes, but all that means is he’ll crush a sheltered role and a team wouldn’t have to worry about sending him over the boards at 5-on-5 like they do with other bottom-pairing D-men. He’s right handed, too. A very easy pick-up. I think Brendan Smith and Michael Del Zotto also fall in to this camp as they’ve been solid shot rate drivers in the past (though Del Zotto has taken a step back this year). All three are having a down season and it won’t take much to pry them out as a result. They’ll help teams win more than some of the other D-men on the market. Speaking of which…

WHO TO AVOID

Overvalued D-men: Let’s just list them all: Johnny Oduya, Roman Polak (who has since been taken off Matt’s list, but I’ll leave here), Kyle Quincey and one more who I referenced above who gets his own blurb below. These three are relics from a bygone era: the shutdown D-man. The only thing they really shut down is any semblance of offense as they fail to get the puck out of their own zone. The market is starting to reflect that as guys like Polak and Quincey come in at the bottom of the list, but then there’s Johnny Oduya at the top and I don’t understand it. Well, I do, he’s got Cup rings and a sparkling defensive reputation, but hockey isn’t a 100 foot game (to his credit his numbers have been a little better this season than usual). Offensive guys get slagged for being one dimensional, but you never see the same comments hurled toward these type of defensemen. There are legit shutdown D-men out there, like Niklas Hjalmarsson and Chris Tanev, but the guys available aren’t that. Not even close. They’re likely going to hurt whichever team acquires them. Mobility on the back-end is vital in today’s NHL and these guys don’t have that skillset.

Especially Dmitry Kulikov: If there’s one player to completely avoid at the deadline, it’s Kulikov. To say he’s been among the league’s worst defensemen this year may sound unfair, but it would probably be accurate, too. He’s been bad. It’s not just this year either, he hasn’t been all that good for the past couple seasons. He’s one of the league’s biggest drags on shots at both ends of the ice and this year his scoring has dried up, too. His Game Score this year is better than just one regular defenseman: Josh Gorges. That’s. It. Over the last three years he’s averaging a 16 point pace and is a net negative six shot attempts relative to his team. At $4 million, any team that acquires him is paying way too much for someone who really only makes them worse, not to mention the cost to acquire him. The Panthers knew that much when they moved him in exchange for the very underrated Mark Pysyk who’s been doing just fine this year. There aren’t too many landmines this year, but he’s the biggest one.

We have the two worst regular defensemen in the NHL according to this model! :cry:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/who-to-target-who-to-avoid-at-the-trade-deadline

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Breaking:

TSN has Buffalo with 1.1% chance of making playoffs

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Prediction:

Most of us will be disappointed by the end of the day. No big Sabres names moved, no big acquisitions. Kulikov/Franson likely traded for less than we're expecting. No "hockey" trades.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
GMTM may not be able to trade Kulikov for peanuts. Consider the strong possibility that he's still a Sabre come 3pm.

With the expansion draft coming up, I think the most likely trade with Kulikov is as part of a deal for a dman coming back from a team like Anaheim, who has a lot of dmen they would need to protect, and don't want to expose all of their forwards. Kulikov would fill the space that was emptied by whatever dman is traded away, has the capability to play well if they go on a playoff run, and doesn't need to be protected at the expansion draft.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
TSN has added an on-site reporter in Buffalo in addition to the Canadian cities for their TradeCentre coverage this year.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
TSN has added an on-site reporter in Buffalo in addition to the Canadian cities for their TradeCentre coverage this year.

The funny thing was they go to him and are like not many people have eyes on the sabres but the avalanche are in town and they are going to be making moves. :laugh:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Breaking:

TSN has Buffalo with 1.1% chance of making playoffs

psrez.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad