GDT: 2017 NHL Free Agent Frenzy | July 1st, 2017 | 12:00 PM EST (18:00 CET)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
My guess is Girardi's coming. I'm just hoping we don't wind up with Kunitz too.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
My guess is Girardi's coming. I'm just hoping we don't wind up with Kunitz too.

If we wind up with Girardi AND Kunitz I will be drinking a lot tomorrow night.

Hoping Williams/Marleau kinda guy.

I have come to terms with Girardi I guess.. :help:

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Girardi it would be a mistake but at least I can understand, Kunitz I don't and I HATE him, always did. Please don't do it Y :(

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
On McKenzie's latest Bobcast, he went a little further and said it sounds like TB is getting Girardi "on a two year deal." I think that's what we were expecting.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
- Hoped Radulov and Markov

- Gets Girardi and Kunitz.
Lol seriously...
Depends on the $. If it's 1.5 or something, it's a minor annoyance. Anything close to 3 and it's a travesty.
Having him makes no sense even at 1.5m. He's not better than Sustr, so why sign him? He's not better than Dotchin was next to Hedman, so why complicate it? And if he's not going to be good enough, we are still in on Shattenkirk as well....

Regardless of the money which I understand your point...it just doesn't make sense. We have zero use for him, and anything we sign him for takes away cap space to bolster the scoring depth or even put towards a better defenseman.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Depends on the $. If it's 1.5 or something, it's a minor annoyance. Anything close to 3 and it's a travesty.

It's still BS. We have one 1D, two 2D and a bunch of kids that really shouldn't be regulars in the top-4 at this point. So yeah, let's add another #6/7. Genius. To do what? Have the worst 3rd pairing in the league in Girardi-Sustr? Force Dotchin, Sergachev or Koekkoek to play top-4 full time? How is that improving the team?

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I feel like the Girardi singing is hinging on something else, else he would have been signed by now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Lol seriously...

Having him makes no sense even at 1.5m. He's not better than Sustr, so why sign him? He's not better than Dotchin was next to Hedman, so why complicate it? And if he's not going to be good enough, we are still in on Shattenkirk as well....

Regardless of the money which I understand your point...it just doesn't make sense. We have zero use for him, and anything we sign him for takes away cap space to bolster the scoring depth or even put towards a better defenseman.

Agreed. I'm just saying "travesty" is too harsh a word if he's not making much money and playing a small role. Erik Condra was annoying, but not a travesty. Now, if we're paying him $3m, travesty is a good word. ;)

I wouldn't be shocked if our plan is:

Hedman - Shattenkirk
Coburn - Stralman
Koekkoek/Sergachev - Sustr
#7: Girardi

Not so much in terms of pairings, but in terms of the depth chart.

If we do in fact land Shattenkirk, is there any way we wouldn't trade a RHD? I can't see us carrying 5 of them into the season. So, conspiracy theory: Maybe Yzerman has a deal for Dotchin worked out, contingent on us signing Shattenkirk.

Maybe not Dotchin. But I mean, 5 RHD to open the season? I just don't believe we're going that route. Somebody would have to go.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
It's still BS. We have one 1D, two 2D and a bunch of kids that really shouldn't be regulars in the top-4 at this point. So yeah, let's add another #6/7. Genius. To do what? Have the worst 3rd pairing in the league in Girardi-Sustr? Force Dotchin, Sergachev or Koekkoek to play top-4 full time? How is that improving the team?
Exactly. This has been a rather awful start to free agency. It's like Yzerman is pulling strings on players 5 years too late and having interest where we don't need to have interest. Not to mention we cut dead weight and immediately always tack it back on. We lose Garrison yet add Girardi? Wtf? Not to mention, his solution per reports to fix goal scoring issues are a soon to be 36 year old Williams who is as fast as Callahan, and a streaky and inconsistent Kunitz.

Not like we could add a big body in Vanek for 2m, throw that bs Shattenkirk money at Marleau, etc. There have been three defenseman traded I cannot believe we couldn't beat out in trade offers. There are 3 Free agent forwards we aren't linked with that we should be.

Like I'm in the twilight zone right now and Yzerman is seeking 35 year olds that are as slow as Carle.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
On McKenzie's latest Bobcast, he went a little further and said it sounds like TB is getting Girardi "on a two year deal." I think that's what we were expecting.

Makes sense he did not want a one and done type deal. I still think people are overreacting to this potential contract. It is going to most likely be under 2 million and think the potential upside outweighs the risks with this deal. But you know me overly optimistic on things.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Makes sense he did not want a one and done type deal. I still think people are overreacting to this potential contract. It is going to most likely be under 2 million and think the potential upside outweighs the risks with this deal. But you know me overly optimistic on things.

I started coming around on it after looking at his icetime in NY. It doesn't seem like he was used as a #6 there. (You can probably clarify this for me.) If we're reducing his role drastically, I don't mind it. If his role was already reduced and he still performed poorly, then this is a pretty crazy mistake.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If it's really down to us vs. NJ for Shattenkirk, it seems like we have every advantage except the hometown advantage. So I'm guessing we're going to dive into this gamble.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Agreed. I'm just saying "travesty" is too harsh a word if he's not making much money and playing a small role.

Small role or not he is keeping us from signing a real defenseman and/or keeping someone from the active roster and/or (God forbid) pushing some one out of the top 4.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Agreed. I'm just saying "travesty" is too harsh a word if he's not making much money and playing a small role. Erik Condra was annoying, but not a travesty. Now, if we're paying him $3m, travesty is a good word. ;)

I wouldn't be shocked if our plan is:

Hedman - Shattenkirk
Coburn - Stralman
Koekkoek/Sergachev - Sustr
#7: Girardi

Not so much in terms of pairings, but in terms of the depth chart.

If we do in fact land Shattenkirk, is there any way we wouldn't trade a RHD? I can't see us carrying 5 of them into the season. So, conspiracy theory: Maybe Yzerman has a deal for Dotchin worked out, contingent on us signing Shattenkirk.

Maybe not Dotchin. But I mean, 5 RHD to open the season? I just don't believe we're going that route. Somebody would have to go.
then that would be a 2nd for Vegas not to take Dotchin for somebody else to take Dotchin. I don't think he's too valuable. Sure we like him and teams saw what he can provide but whatever return we get can't come back on defense, so what does he fetch via trade for offense? I can't imagine it's much more than what we'd find on the market tomorrow and we could keep him. I think he fits better than KK because he's got a physical presence which we lack.

I can't see us going into the season with 5 RHD either.

Shattenkirk: still pursuing him
Girardi: currently a deal in place
Dotchin: paid a 2nd (pretty much) not to be taken
Stralman: not leaving
Sustr: just signed

The question is, why are we even signing Girardi and/or pursuing Shattenkirk? Girardi doesn't make us better and depending on the term and cap hit, Shattenkirk isn't better defensively than Stralman and has only broken 50 points once. I feel we are paying him to feed Stamkos on the powerplay and hope he can lock it down with Coburn or Hedman.

Also, what I said above in a previous message concerning Radulov. I know what you mean, but it is a travesty. It's a complete debacle we have Condra, potentially Girardi, guys like Brown and Paquette, that when you add them together provide very little. If we took them away, we could afford to entice Versteeg to come here before signing with the Flames. We could've overpaid on Marleau for 2 years. We could "go for it" if we stopped these dumbass 1-2m signings for 3-4 guys each year to provide very little.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Small role or not he is keeping us from signing a real defenseman and/or keeping someone from the active roster and/or (God forbid) pushing some one out of the top 4.

COnsidering we're apparently a frontrunner on Shattenkirk, it seems like that's not true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad