Post-Game Talk: 2017 NHL Entry Draft from Chicago - Round 1 completed

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I preface my remarks being a graduate of BU.

Boston College in 2017 might have a tougher admission standard than Harvard does when it comes to athletics. BC was a joke in the 80's when you had athletes enrolled in night school playing varsity athletics.

Mike Milbury walked away from BC in 1994 without coaching a game and BC then hired Jerry York.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-06-03/sports/9406030220_1_boston-college-mike-milbury-quits

BC has become a laughing stock in the ACC because admissions is brutal but it is hard to condemn a school for placing academics over athletics.

From what I was told by a friend who went to BC, the history class Tolvanen took, and passed, did not transfer under the academic rules between US and European schools and they couldn't get around it.

Essentially he had the grades to get into BC but his history credit simply did not transfer under the current system.

I'm well aware of BC's high academic standards. My daughter (who is very intelligent, yes, takes after her mother) applied there for undergrad and Law School and was "wait listed" both times. She ended up going to Isenberg at UMass (and now Syracuse Law) and my retirement savings is forever grateful.

That being said, I would guess that BC (like many schools, incl BU, and my alma mater UMass) has a slightly different set of academic standards for their athletes than they do their "regular" students? It's probably higher than some of the other aforementioned ACC schools, but I would be STUNNED if a credit for a history class was what kept him out of BC.

Tolvanen has been here for not one, but two USHL seasons and if BC was interested, he would have had ample time to take that course here in the US. Hell, are you telling me if that's the only thing keeping him out of BC, he could not have taken it as a summer course here? I'm sorry, but I'm not buying.

There is a "clearing house" for prospective NCAA Div 1 and 2 athletes (now called the Eligibility Center) that looks at their transcripts and makes sure they meet their academic requirements. This is especially helpful for kids who are not receiving a traditional HS education.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-clearinghouse.htm

All athletes must be cleared by this organization before they can be deemed eligible to play. It's much more likely that he ran afoul of something here than had a history class not pass muster. It has happened to other players.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
No way I touch the kid in round one with the admissions thing or the rumored interviews thing. It's not like it's new, people that have seen him play say he's no show on the ice a lot.

That being said, Nashville will be a good home for him.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I preface my remarks being a graduate of BU.

Boston College in 2017 might have a tougher admission standard than Harvard does when it comes to athletics. BC was a joke in the 80's when you had athletes enrolled in night school playing varsity athletics.

Mike Milbury walked away from BC in 1994 without coaching a game and BC then hired Jerry York.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-06-03/sports/9406030220_1_boston-college-mike-milbury-quits

BC has become a laughing stock in the ACC because admissions is brutal but it is hard to condemn a school for placing academics over athletics.

Agree with all you say here. However, couldn't skip bolded part without noting "only in America"!

There's a reason we get the "leadership" we do (not being political - talking Senate, House, and WH, both sides of aisle). We deserve it!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't if I'm honest with myself

Sweeney said skyped to the Draft party he's projected to be a top pair with McAvoy

He said Vaakanainen and McAvoy as a pairing

The good news is Boston has 2 stud under 21 RHD

4 LHD drafted in top two rounds of last 3 drafts

Also

I see him as a third pair but O'Gara improved by the month in the AHL and should be a very capable and plus third pair

I wanted Vesalainen when he made it to them or go for the next Marchand type in Yamamoto

Frederic had me enraged last year and Vaakanainen at least I liked but not here

They couldn't have moved back 5-10 spots and got him?

Maybe like it was rumored with Anaheim's interest in Frederic at 30, the Bruins knew the teams right behind them were going to snap him up if they didn't.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe like it was rumored with Anaheim's interest in Frederic at 30, the Bruins knew the teams right behind them were going to snap him up if they didn't.

I'm open minded here but I don't think so reading Sweeney in Globe today ~ I think they couldn't trade for a group of targeted players- so drafted and like this guy. Skyped into draft party he mentioned a future Vaakanainen- McAvoy pair. Love Charlie sporting flip flops. Kid has it. Having Pastrnak & McAvoy leading the kid invasion is not a bad start

He's clearly targeted a LHD definitely not another right and somewhat cost effective

He wanted mobility and Theodore & Schmidt were on his radar - I think he offered the 1 for Theodore and was rebuffed; I was having a couple but someone told me Theodore and thought 'please God'

McPhee said no but those two GMs I was told have an excellent relationship and that may play out

Last edited:

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Good pick. I like the guy who takes care of business in his own end first and foremost. They seem to be very high on him and Sweeney's draft record speaks for itself.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm open minded here but I don't think so reading Sweeney in Globe today ~ I think they couldn't trade for a group of targeted players- so drafted and like this guy. Skyped into draft party he mentioned a future Vaakanainen- McAvoy pair. Love Charlie sporting flip flops. Kid has it. Having Pastrnak & McAvoy leading the kid invasion is not a bad start

He's clearly targeted a LHD definitely not another right and somewhat cost effective

He wanted mobility and Theodore & Schmidt were on his radar - I think he offered the 1 for Theodore and was rebuffed; I was having a couple but someone told me Theodore and thought 'please God'

McPhee said no but those two GMs I was told have an excellent relationship and that may play out

Makes sense, both in Sweeney's interest in Theodore/Schmidt, and his desire to try to find a cost effective puck-moving D-man to compliment the current group. Like many here, Sweeney probably would like to add that LD, specifically like you said a cost-effective one, but don't want to break the bank to do so, and is content with the current mix and internal options if nothing comes to pass.

Also makes sense that McPhee wants to hold onto his younger NHL-ready D. I wouldn't of dealt Theodore for the 18th if I was him.

Be interesting to see what happens to Morrow, as he fits the bill somewhat as a LD puck-mover. Do they consider him an option after a decent showing in the playoffs? Or will he even be qualified? I like Morrow more than most but I would be somewhat surprised if he receives a qualifying offer from Boston.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Not sure about the Makar pick, seems like it has bust written all over it

Have not heard or read any reports with concerns for him being anything other than a high quality NHL player.

From the NHL Hockey Writes concensus rankings report:

NHL Potential:

Makar projects as a top four defenseman in the NHL level. His skill set makes him almost ideal to be a power play quarterback.

Risk-Reward Analysis:

Risk – 1.5/5, Reward – 4.5/5

Fantasy Hockey Potential:

Offense 8/10, Defense 8/10

http://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-draft-prospect-cale-makar/

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Let's give these kids a couple of years to marinate to see what we got. No rush here with these.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad