Post-Game Talk: 2017 NHL Entry Draft from Chicago - Round 1 completed

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
cut.jpg

Bruins’ options are wide-open for NHL draft

CHICAGO — Don Sweeney and his scouting staff turned Boston’s No. 14 pick in last year’s NHL draft into instant gold, with Charlie McAvoy fitting seamlessly into the playoff lineup and flashing signs that he could develop into an elite first-pairing blue liner.

The Bruins’ GM is back on the clock again late Friday night here at the United Center, this time parked in the No. 18 spot on Day 1 of the draft, and hinting heavily that he might deal the pick away or shift higher or lower in the order if he can find a dance partner among his 30 GM brethren.

If there isn’t another Mc Avoy there for the plucking, especially four spots lower in the order, Sweeney might be compelled, like any good horse trader, to let bloodlines be his guide. Cal Foote, son of longtime blue line stalwart Adam Foote (1,154 career games), is among the top handful of coveted blue liners up for grabs.

Ranked by Red Line Report as the 21st best available player in the draft, Foote, only age 18, already is an adult-cut 6 feet 4 inches and 210 pounds. He is a bigger, thicker version of fellow Coloradoan and first-year Bruins sensation Brandon Carlo. Unlike his dad, Foote’s game is more finesse than force.

“Strong and surprisingly nimble skater,†is RLR’s read on Foote, which considers him the fifth-best defenseman available in the draft. “Very calm and collected with the puck. Outlets are right on the tape . . . always to the right spots.â€

As of Thursday night, Sweeney still possessed the No. 18 pick and the handful of others (53, 111, 173, 195 and 204) he owns for the annual lottery (Rounds 2 through 7 will be here on Saturday). Realistically, based on decades of league history, Sweeney’s final four picks have but only marginal chances of playing in the NHL, never mind being impact contributors.

Last edited:

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
IF the Bruins happen to have Antoine Morand available at #53, he would be a catch of the day.
Similar to Mathieu Perreault offensively, he is a centerman and had a better year at17 YO in Major Junior than both Perreault and Bergeron.

He is a playmaker with exceptional vision and he has decent speed.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
#53 = Goalie, why Sweeney might move down as to get another 2nd.

Late 1st to top 3rd rounders talent is more spread out than last year. Making this year less of a gamble through those picks no?

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
If they think that Oettinger is the best player at #18 they should take him there. Wouldn't be my first choice, but I can see the argument for him.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I've said before that they don't use their first round pick.

If they do, hope for Foote.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
If they think that Oettinger is the best player at #18 they should take him there. Wouldn't be my first choice, but I can see the argument for him.

Waiting for him at #53, the Bruins would need to hire a lot of flies to know what the other teams are doing until then. :laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The guy that makes the most sense based on need + skill is Oettinger

I love him and more importantly my much smarter hockey friends love him

18 is probably to early so I'd love to see them move back late first and grab a later pick

1. Under this scenario Oettinger & Jaret Anderson-Dolan early second but better get ahead of Calgary

2. I'd be tempted to just take Oettinger if worried and can't move back in spot they desire

I'm very bullish Oettinger is going to be a star and can handle here with ease

3. My selfish preference is Yamamoto- see him as a Marchand offensive type

4. Any of these guys go at 18 I'm good in no order just as they pop into head

Oettinger
Yamamoto
Poehling
Vesalainen
Andersson
Ratcliffe
Necas
Foote
Tolvanen
Brannstrom

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I wonder how many minutes the "Sports Hub" will devote to the NHL draft?
My guess 10 minutes per show per hour.:(

A good reason that I love this place!;)

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I wonder how many minutes the "Sports Hub" will devote to the NHL draft?
My guess 10 minutes per show per hour.:(

A good reason that I love this place!;)

Just as well they don't talk hockey, it makes my ears bleed. Felger the "hockey" guy couldn't name 3 Bruins prospects yet is now a NBA encyclopedia.:laugh:

He was probably going to lose his job if he didn't stop killing the Celtics and NBA

Sports radio in Boston is garbage for Hockey, always was and always will be.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
My hope this year is the Bruins take someone with high upside, a Pastrnak 2.0 so to speak.

They are in great shape in young D, and have a nice group of young prospect forwards who project as good solid well-rounded players, I'd like to see some high-end speed and skill added to the group up front.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I didn`t see an OT thread but odd timing on this one no? First Doan now Tippet

http://www.tsn.ca/coyotes-tippett-mutually-part-ways-1.786882

Just seems like now that Barroway is the majority owner, he's determined to shuffle out the old guard from the past decade.

Considering the lack of success this franchise has experienced with Doan as Captain and Tippett as Coach, I can see why he would do this now just after taking over as majority owner. Certainly Tippett and Doan are not the main reasons this team has stunk for years, but they have been leading the charge from ice-level, and it hasn't provided them much in the way of wins.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Just seems like now that Barroway is the majority owner, he's determined to shuffle out the old guard from the past decade.

Considering the lack of success this franchise has experienced with Doan as Captain and Tippett as Coach, I can see why he would do this now just after taking over as majority owner. Certainly Tippett and Doan are not the main reasons this team has stunk for years, but they have been leading the charge from ice-level, and it hasn't provided them much in the way of wins.

Agreed, I don`t think Tippett is the issue but either way, as you mentioned, the majority owner now has the power to make the call I guess.

I have no issues with them not bringing back Doan, not sure I would have shown him the exit in the manner they did but the timing of this firing surely is odd on the eve of the draft I would think.

I don`t know, I just see the Yotes always being what they have been, a team playing in the middle of the desert who we`ll keep hearing about their economic issues

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Did a real quick scan of drafts from 2010 down, and it looks like about 67% of the top 100 players picked play in the NHL (various degrees).. That speaks well for our future as many players we have were taken there.

Predictions for tonight.

1. Bruins don't trade the pick for immediate help.
2. Bruins trade down with "names" on the board and this board flips
3. Bruins select someone unexpected and this board flips

I'm thinking a deal down with the Blues and the Bruins nab Oetinger, Norris, Thomas, JAD or Shane Bowers.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Agreed, I don`t think Tippett is the issue but either way, as you mentioned, the majority owner now has the power to make the call I guess.

I have no issues with them not bringing back Doan, not sure I would have shown him the exit in the manner they did but the timing of this firing surely is odd on the eve of the draft I would think.

I don`t know, I just see the Yotes always being what they have been, a team playing in the middle of the desert who we`ll keep hearing about their economic issues

I didn't like the way Doan was informed he wasn't coming back. Word is the suggestion to meet at a public place/restaurant was Doan's suggestion, but he had no idea the meeting was about him not coming back. Me I would of insisted the meeting took place at the office, whether Doan suggested meeting elsewhere or not.

It would of been nice for Doan to get a chance to say good-bye to the fans, but considering this didn't come down until Barroway was majority owner, wasn't really possible.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Did a real quick scan of drafts from 2010 down, and it looks like about 67% of the top 100 players picked play in the NHL (various degrees).. That speaks well for our future as many players we have were taken there.

Predictions for tonight.

1. Bruins don't trade the pick for immediate help.
2. Bruins trade down with "names" on the board and this board flips
3. Bruins select someone unexpected and this board flips

I'm thinking a deal down with the Blues and the Bruins nab Oetinger, Norris, Thomas, JAD or Shane Bowers.

Haven`t seen Bowers play in a while after he fled Nova Scotia to the USHL. The kid worked his tail off while playing with the Halifax McDonald`s a few years ago.

At that time, displayed a very responsible 200 ft game, excellent on ice vision, has the ability to pop goals but I`ve always felt he`s more of a disher.

Again, haven`t seen him play since he left the city

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins’ options are wide-open for NHL draft
CHICAGO — Don Sweeney and his scouting staff turned Boston’s No. 14 pick in last year’s NHL draft into instant gold, with Charlie McAvoy fitting seamlessly into the playoff lineup and flashing signs that he could develop into an elite first-pairing blue liner.

The Bruins’ GM is back on the clock again late Friday night here at the United Center, this time parked in the No. 18 spot on Day 1 of the draft, and hinting heavily that he might deal the pick away or shift higher or lower in the order if he can find a dance partner among his 30 GM brethren.

If there isn’t another Mc Avoy there for the plucking, especially four spots lower in the order, Sweeney might be compelled, like any good horse trader, to let bloodlines be his guide. Cal Foote, son of longtime blue line stalwart Adam Foote (1,154 career games), is among the top handful of coveted blue liners up for grabs.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...r-nhl-draft/WHxK64dU4Y8RQ42smTuCqI/story.html

Left-shot defenseman remains the Bruins’ priority
CHICAGO — It would do Don Sweeney more harm than good to speak poorly about Brandon Carlo, Zdeno Chara, Torey Krug, Charlie McAvoy, Adam McQuaid, or Kevan Miller. For now, they represent his team’s 2017-18 six-pack, and their tires require more pumping than deflating.

“Yeah. Yeah,” the Bruins general manager said Thursday when asked if he’s still looking for blue line help. “But we feel very comfortable with the six guys we have on our roster right now. We think the group itself has a lot of depth to it.

“We’re excited about our younger players. But if there’s a target-specific thing, we’re going to continue to look at it.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...KWcP/story.html?p1=Article_Recirculation_Pos2

Who the Bruins could select with No. 18 pick
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bruins/2017/06/who_the_bruins_could_select_with_no_18_pick

Bruins notebook: Don Sweeney likes draft depth despite lack of top-flight talent
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/..._likes_draft_depth_despite_lack_of_top_flight

Draft could fix Bruins’ defensive imbalance
http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/20170622/draft-could-fix-bruins-defensive-imbalance

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Go for defence. Aim for someone who could be a #1 defender

I think that Dmen probably have more value than F's so you can probably never have too many, but I'm not sure there's a #1 D at 18?

Also, you never say never, but in the last two years the B's have drafted five D in the first two rounds (Zboril, Carlo, Lauzon, McAvoy, Lindgren). I'm not sure they go that way again, unless a D they really like falls to 18.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad