Prospect Info: 2017 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #18

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Hello all, I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards.

Rankings:
1. Timothy Liljegren -- 57.66%
2. Kasperi Kapanen -- 89.47%
3. Travis Dermott -- 83.75%
4. Carl Grundstrom -- 55.23%
5. Yegor Korshkov -- 35.67%
6. Jeremy Bracco --34.48%
7. Andreas Johnsson -- 25.48%
8. Andrew Nielsen -- 42.07%
9. Andreas Borgman -- 31.45%
10. Joseph Woll -- 31.54%
11. Eemeli Rasanan -- 26.67%
12. Kerby Rychel -- 27.87%
13. Calle Rosen -- 36.67%
14. Adam Brooks -- 43.42%
15. Dmytro Timashov -- 31.75%
16. Miro Aaltonen -- 34.38%
17. Frederik Gauthier -- 46.67%

Nikolai Chebykin
Garrett Sparks
JD Greenway
Tobias Lindberg
Jesper Lindgren
Ian Scott
Martin Dzierkals
Justin Holl
Dakota Joshua
Rinat Valiev
Nicolas Mattinen
Keaton Middleton
Kasimir Kaskisuo
Trevor Moore
Vladimir Bobylev

John Piccinich
Pierre Engvall
Nolan Vesey
Jack Walker
Vladislav Kara
Fedor Gordeev
Ryan McGregor
Ryan O'Connell

Prospect Ranking #1
Prospect Ranking #2
Prospect Ranking #3
Prospect Ranking #4
Prospect Ranking #5
Prospect Ranking #6
Prospect Ranking #7
Prospect Ranking #8
Prospect Ranking #9
Prospect Ranking #10
Prospect Ranking #11
Prospect Ranking #12
Prospect Ranking #13
Prospect Ranking #14
Prospect Ranking #15
Prospect Ranking #16
Prospect Ranking #17

2016 Final Result
2015 Final Result
2014 Final Result
2013 Final Result
2012 Final Result
2011 Final Result
2010 Final Result

Suggest who I should add next. :D

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Went with the Latvian Berserker Dzierkals... love his energy game. Pulling for this kid to make it.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Liljegren had a disappointing season largely due to mono and we are all willing to cut him some slack, rightly IMO. Valiev had a disappointing season, largely due to injury, and we all want to dismiss him as a prospect. Valiev has an impressive combination of size, skating and puck handling. Going into this season, he was a highly rated prospect on D. He deserves to be rated somewhere around this

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Liljegren had a disappointing season largely due to mono and we are all willing to cut him some slack, rightly IMO. Valiev had a disappointing season, largely due to injury, and we all want to dismiss him as a prospect. Valiev has an impressive combination of size, skating and puck handling. Going into this season, he was a highly rated prospect on D. He deserves to be rated somewhere around this

Valiev was Ranked #16 last year...

Bracco(17), Grundstrom(18), Gauthier (22), Woll (23), Brooks(24), and arguably Greenway(25) and Spark (30) surpassing him on the prospect charts...

+ New guys like Rosen, Borgman, Aaltonen, Liljegren, Rasanen and Scott arguably all ahead of Valiev...

In all likelihood, this will be Valiev's last season/chance to prove to the management brass that he has a future in the NHL... will be a big season for him.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Yes, Valiev was 16 last year, but Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Zaitsev etc were all on the list also. Compared to the prospects on this years list, it was a far stronger group. Valiev's disappointing season should not affect his ranking as much as it appears it is going to do.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Valiev was Ranked #16 last year...

Bracco(17), Grundstrom(18), Gauthier (22), Woll (23), Brooks(24), and arguably Greenway(25) and Spark (30) surpassing him on the prospect charts...

+ New guys like Rosen, Borgman, Aaltonen, Liljegren, Rasanen and Scott arguably all ahead of Valiev...

In all likelihood, this will be Valiev's last season/chance to prove to the management brass that he has a future in the NHL... will be a big season for him.

I doubt that, Valiev is the same age as Borgman and only a year older than Dermott/Nielson. I have heard Lou mention him along with Dermott/Nielson as being good prospects this year.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Dzingles, Sparks and Holl are probably the next 3.

Sparks could get a few games.

Holl could if our defensive depth goes to injury.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I doubt that, Valiev is the same age as Borgman and only a year older than Dermott/Nielson. I have heard Lou mention him along with Dermott/Nielson as being good prospects this year.

So you think Valiev has NHL potential if he has a similar season to the last couple..?

My point was Valiev really needs to step-up to make the NHL... right now he's an "AHL tweener"...

Yes, Valiev was 16 last year, but Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Zaitsev etc were all on the list also. Compared to the prospects on this years list, it was a far stronger group. Valiev's disappointing season should not affect his ranking as much as it appears it is going to do.

Thats my point... 8 players ranked above him have now been promoted or pick up in expansion.

I'd argue 6 players on last year's rankings had seasons worthy of promoting higher than Valiev...

+ We added 5-6 more peices in free agency or the draft...

So lets say 11 people have 'jumped' Valiev... that would put him at the very least, #19...

I still like a few guys over Valiev including Scott, Greenway, Joshua, Chebykin and possibly Kara, Gordeev, Moore and Lindgren...

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
So you think Valiev has NHL potential if he has a similar season to the last couple..?

My point was Valiev really needs to step-up to make the NHL... right now he's an "AHL tweener"...

Thats my point... 8 players ranked above him have now been promoted or pick up in expansion.

I'd argue 6 players on last year's rankings had seasons worthy of promoting higher than Valiev...

+ We added 5-6 more peices in free agency or the draft...

So lets say 11 people have 'jumped' Valiev... that would put him at the very least, #19...

I still like a few guys over Valiev including Scott, Greenway, Joshua, Chebykin and possibly Kara, Gordeev, Moore and Lindgren...

Why am I not surprised? Why is no one surprised?

Valiev goes here.

wasting time

Feb 12, 2003
Greenway seems to be running away with this one. The next ones are going to be really interesting because they will be all over the Board.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Greenway & his potential work for me here. If he wants to move up this list he needs a big season next year, hopefully playing in the WJC.

Next is Joshua. In his draft +3 he put up more than a PPG in the NCAA. He's nothing special right now, but he's at least projecting into someone that might get an ELC with another big season in the NCAA.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Gotta say, Moore will break out this year with the Marlies and it will inflate his stock.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Valiev has only played 2 seasons in the AHL...

Valiev played 10 games in the NHL in his first year of AHL eligibility, 2015-16 season, played well. This season Valiev had a "knee surgery" in the middle of the season. Dermott and Nielson just finished their first year of AHL eligibility.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Valiev has only played 2 seasons in the AHL...

Valiev played 10 games in the NHL in his first year of AHL eligibility, 2015-16 season, played well. This season Valiev had a "knee surgery" in the middle of the season. Dermott and Nielson just finished their first year of AHL eligibility.

I realize that...

If Dermott or Nielsen have similar setbacks in year two in the AHL, i'd have similar concerns.

How many defensmen make the NHL after 3 averageish AHL seasons...?

I'm not saying Valiev is a bust, I'm saying he's going to really have to step up to make the NHL... He's quickly falling on our depth chart on D too...

Last season, He was probably ahead of Dermott and Nielsen... but now he's not only competing with those two for ice-time, but also Rosen, Borgman and possibly Liljegren... plus a couple other guys on junior/college/overseas....

Competition isn't a bad thing :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad