Prospect Info: 2017 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #17

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Hello all, I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards.

Rankings:
1. Timothy Liljegren -- 57.66%
2. Kasperi Kapanen -- 89.47%
3. Travis Dermott -- 83.75%
4. Carl Grundstrom -- 55.23%
5. Yegor Korshkov -- 35.67%
6. Jeremy Bracco --34.48%
7. Andreas Johnsson -- 25.48%
8. Andrew Nielsen -- 42.07%
9. Andreas Borgman -- 31.45%
10. Joseph Woll -- 31.54%
11. Eemeli Rasanan -- 26.67%
12. Kerby Rychel -- 27.87%
13. Calle Rosen -- 36.67%
14. Adam Brooks -- 43.42%
15. Dmytro Timashov -- 31.75%
16. Miro Aaltonen -- 34.38%

Nikolai Chebykin
Garrett Sparks
JD Greenway
Tobias Lindberg
Frederik Gauthier
Ian Scott
Martin Dzierkals
Justin Holl
Dakota Joshua
Rinat Valiev
Nicolas Mattinen
Keaton Middleton
Kasimir Kaskisuo
Trevor Moore
Vladimir Bobylev

John Piccinich
Pierre Engvall
Nolan Vesey
Jesper Lindgren
Jack Walker
Vladislav Kara
Fedor Gordeev
Ryan McGregor
Ryan O'Connell

Prospect Ranking #1
Prospect Ranking #2
Prospect Ranking #3
Prospect Ranking #4
Prospect Ranking #5
Prospect Ranking #6
Prospect Ranking #7
Prospect Ranking #8
Prospect Ranking #9
Prospect Ranking #10
Prospect Ranking #11
Prospect Ranking #12
Prospect Ranking #13
Prospect Ranking #14
Prospect Ranking #15
Prospect Ranking #16

2016 Final Result
2015 Final Result
2014 Final Result
2013 Final Result
2012 Final Result
2011 Final Result
2010 Final Result

Suggest who I should add next. :D

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Wow, I can't believe Aaltonen finally got picked, now I'm struggling since I have to actually think about who to vote for lol. I went with Sparks as he's basically ready to contend for the backup spot at this point in his career, and worst case scenario he stops developing and continues to be a very good #1 AHL goalie for many years. At this point in the rankings, I'll take that over the 'potential to be a very good NHLer'

wasting time

Feb 12, 2003
Yea, this is where the picking is getting a lot tougher. I am going on projections as to where they might sit in an NHL line up in best case scenario for any one of the prospects e.g. 1st line/pairing, second etc.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Greenway I guess. Getting pretty murky.

I will help ...

Trevor Moore was signed to an 3 yr ELC last summer out of college. He struggled in the first half of the season and worked his way up to the top line on the Marlies.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
I will help ...

Trevor Moore was signed to an 3 yr ELC last summer out of college. He struggled in the first half of the season and worked his way up to the top line on the Marlies.

Yeah even with the early year struggles Moore had more production than Timashov. Holl was also very solid for the Marlies. I think the question is how much upside do they have if they make it to the NHL, but they did play well at a pro level.

Moore gets my pick again.

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
I can't really take this seriously with Frederik Gauthier still on the board at 17, LOL

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Went Gauthier.

I think people are voting for the wrong NCAA prospect. Dakota Joshua, 6'3, C/W, 35 points in 33 games as a 20 year old sophomore. 18 point increase from his freshman year.

Greenway has a lot of raw athleticism but more than half of his entire season's production came in the first 4 games of the season. He managed 3 points in his next 31 games.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So, heads up Schenn. The links to the final results of 2010, 2011, and 2012 don't work. 2013 and beyond have no issue however.

Forum archives threads after so long. If you go to the list of threads for the Leafs forum and click last you'll notice the latest threads are from December 2012, all those afterwards are archived.

Can find them here though I'd imagine it's fairly difficult

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/archive/index.php/f-17.html

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Yeah even with the early year struggles Moore had more production than Timashov. Holl was also very solid for the Marlies. I think the question is how much upside do they have if they make it to the NHL, but they did play well at a pro level.

Moore gets my pick again.

I like Moore, but it is worth noting that Timashov also had early year struggles and is nearly two years younger than him (early 95 vs. late 96 birthdays).

Voted Greenway. Goat, if he doesn't win here, next.

Thanks for putting Sparks in, Schenn.:cheers:

wasting time

Feb 12, 2003
I can't really take this seriously with Frederik Gauthier still on the board at 17, LOL

Why not?

1. Dobber Prospects has him ranked #23 ("C" ranking - tied with Valiev, Sparks and Rasanen) (even after you remove Nylander, matthews, Marner, Brown, Carrick, and Leivo off the ranking) http://www.dobberprospects.com/Table/toronto-maple-leafs-top-prospects/ . And Dobber has not even finished the player reviews yet - Still need to do Greenway, Middleton, Scott, Kara and another 8 more players to go.
2. The Athletic does not rank him in the Top 20 (again, with the above players not on the list)
3. Hockey'sFuture had him ranked a 6.5 C prospect when they did their final ranking 1.5 years ago along with players like Dakota Joshua.
4. This recent Blog article did not rank him in the Top 15 either: http://tipofthetower.com/2017/07/17/toronto-maple-leafs-prospect-rankings-honourable-mentions/

And now he is injured. Ranking him ~#17 is fair IMO, maybe even a little generous. He is a fan favorite, but at #17, he is trending down with others below him trending up.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Middleton should be the next D off the board. Greenway may be better offensively and more athletic but being how raw he is defensively coming up through elite programs like Shattuck and the USNDP is concerning.

Middleton will continue winning people over.

wasting time

Feb 12, 2003
Middleton should be the next D off the board. Greenway may be better offensively and more athletic but being how raw he is defensively coming up through elite programs like Shattuck and the USNDP is concerning.

Middleton will continue winning people over.

That's fair. I am feeling some man-love for Bobylev soon. I just love that's kid's game. Assuming he goes back to Victoria, I am hoping he gets 1 full really good season behind him. I see him as a third line agitator kind of player. I think he could be the new Uncle Leo.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I really think Valiev will surprise, he's one of those quietly solid guys who plays better when playing at a higher level.

When he was 20 he already played games at the next level and played so well no one really noticed he was there!

He will - IMHO - very soon step into the lineup as a solid bottom pairing guy who can step into your top 4 as injury relief.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
this. He's NHL ready and still on the board?? makes zero sense. People just fall in love with new and shiny.

Gauthier and his 3 points in 28 NHL games are great and all, but some people (myself included) prefer to pick players who may be further away but if they do make it would actually contribute to the leafs. Gauthier players can be had every single FA for $2M at most and we got one for $1M this offseason. $200K more for an experienced 4C over the goat on his ELC

edit: All of my apologies freddy has 4 points

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
These rankings are getting a lot harder to rank don't see a whole lot separating this bunch in a clear hierarchy.

Went with Sparks. Like how he's played with the Marlies and think he still has a chance to be an nhL backup.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
These rankings are getting a lot harder to rank don't see a whole lot separating this bunch in a clear hierarchy.

Went with Sparks. Like how he's played with the Marlies and think he still has a chance to be an nhL backup.

It'll be like that all the way down to 30 at this point. Our high end is not super amazing, but we have quality prospects pretty much all the way down to the bottom.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Gauthier players can be had every single FA for $2M at most and we got one for $1M this offseason. $200K more for an experienced 4C over the goat on his ELC

I still say people underestimate how much better Gauthier is defensively than your average journeyman C on the open market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad