Speculation: 2017 Hobey Baker winner Will Butcher may go UFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I find it interesting that there will likely be quite a few teams lining up to offer an ELC to a guy that's a not an NHL prospect.

We'll see if there's much of a line to sign him before hyping it. And even if he gets an ELC, that's a big step from sticking in the show. I'd have liked to have seen Colorado give him an ELC to help our AHL team because he's smart and a good passer; but that doesn't mean I ever thought he'd overcome his size & just average skating to play for the Avalanche. I'd like to see Duncan Siemens sign his QO, and can't wait for Smirnov to be signed next spring/summer for similar reasons; they probably won't ever overcome their hands or size/just-average-skating respective, to stick as NHLers but would really help the kids with NHL futures in SA. Cause it does make it easier to develop prospects when the AHL squad has some talent...even if it doesn't translate to the NHL level.

I understand Butcher's desire to leave for a number of reasons, but I still think acting as if he's better than the Avs and Sakic isn't even worth his time is pretty dumb. Odds are Butcher struggles to be an NHLer. These College UFAs on a general level acting as if they're stars too good for the club that drafted them bothers me I suppose.

They have to get screwed by the NCAA for four years first; so they've earned their right to pick where they want begin their professional careers in my eyes. But Butcher could've shown more class.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I understand Butcher's desire to leave for a number of reasons, but I still think acting as if he's better than the Avs and Sakic isn't even worth his time is pretty dumb. Odds are Butcher struggles to be an NHLer. These College UFAs on a general level acting as if they're stars too good for the club that drafted them bothers me I suppose.

Odds are heavily stacked against Butcher ever becoming an NHL regular. I don't see a problem with him looking for the best UFA opportunity to maybe have an NHL career.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This would lead to less teams signing fringe guys who at best end up being career AHLers, to instead get a compensatory pick. Don't see it happening.

The compensatory pick obviously only occurs if the player signs an ELC with a different team and refuses the sign with the team that drafted him. It wouldn't count for players teams wouldn't want to sign anyway (Like Gilmour with the Flames for instance)

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

I hear you. I just tend to think it's usually more of an earning maximization type of thing; choose the situation where you have the best chance to succeed. In this specific case, if a prospect was actually told by (someone in) an organization that they had no interest in signing him down the road (paraphrasing) then that place is definitely one almost anyone would avoid. Roy being out of the picture wouldn't change that at all for me.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Rangers still upgrading w/mo young D

sure Hayes and Vesey will suggest come over, it's fine in Rangerville

And why would Butcher sign with the Rangers? We have absolutely no need for yet another NCAA FA D-man. We got Pedrie and Pionk, plus Bereglazov, Smith (ext), Shattenkirk, DeAngelo all added compared to last season.

He probably wants to crack the team at opening day and the Rangers are not the best option for that scenario

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Probably wants to go to a team like Vegas where he could crack the opening lineup, or at least have a good shot at it.

Colorado can probably trade his rights. I hope the Leafs can do that with Toninato too if we can not sign him.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Probably wants to go to a team like Vegas where he could crack the opening lineup, or at least have a good shot at it.

Colorado can probably trade his rights. I hope the Leafs can do that with Toninato too if we can not sign him.

Have you seen Will Butcher play hockey? He's going to have a tough time playing AHL minutes. He'd probably benefit from ECHL time more than anything as he would be able to play a lot of minutes there.

He's a one dimensional (offense only), undersized defenseman who cant skate. He had a real nice NCAA career but he isn't very good compared to pros.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Smaller defenders that can't skate rarely make it in the NHL but Butcher is a smart guy with good puck skills so perhaps he'll be the rare exception. I wouldn't bet on it though. Seems like a AHL/#7-8D type of guy to me.

If he doesn't want to sign with Avs because Roy told him they would never sign him, I guess he's just a good kid making sure Roy doesn't come across as a liar. He does come across as an idiot, of course, for saying that.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Why so much talk about this guy? He's not an NHL defenseman. Small, can't skate, not very dangerous offensively (sub par shot).

He was a capable PP QB on a loaded Denver team. I'd be surprised if he plays 100 NHL games in his career.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Have you seen Will Butcher play hockey? He's going to have a tough time playing AHL minutes. He'd probably benefit from ECHL time more than anything as he would be able to play a lot of minutes there.

He's a one dimensional (offense only), undersized defenseman who cant skate. He had a real nice NCAA career but he isn't very good compared to pros.

His two way game was fine at the college level and could be fine in the AHL, but that size n skating will be tough for him to overcome at a level beyond that.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Butcher is a smallish LHD that played in college hockey in Denver. If he signs with the AVs, Sakic would likely be pressured for a local, award winning player, rebuilding team in a position of need be given NHL minutes. AVs are among the teams that are in desperate need that he can play immediately in the NHL.

If he chooses UFA and rumoured teams are Florida, LV, NYR, Toronto, Boston and maybe Chicago getting minutes will be much more difficult. Salary capped as a ELC, he still earns the same regardless of the team.

I honestly believe he should sign with a team that has the clearest path to the NHL. He already spent 4 years in Denver and even if he fails, fans will be supportive since he is a local player. AVs are his very best chance and if he goes elsewhere, it is within his rights, but his path to the NHL might be much more difficult.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Why so much talk about this guy? He's not an NHL defenseman. Small, can't skate, not very dangerous offensively (sub par shot).

He was a capable PP QB on a loaded Denver team. I'd be surprised if he plays 100 NHL games in his career.

If he didn't win the Hobey Baker, nobody would even know his name

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

Huh? Have you seen Will Butcher play hockey? Active stick, good short area quickness, very responsible defensively. He doesn't have the elite wheels you normally see out of smaller defensemen, but "can't skate" is a bit much.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I understand Butcher's desire to leave for a number of reasons, but I still think acting as if he's better than the Avs and Sakic isn't even worth his time is pretty dumb. Odds are Butcher struggles to be an NHLer.

Should fit right in with the Avs then. FOLKS!

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
For some perspective, here's a complete list of the players who won the Hobey Baker in their senior year:

2016-17 Will Butcher F Sr. Denver
2015-16 Jimmy Vesey F Sr. Harvard
2012-13 Drew LeBlanc F Sr. St. Cloud State
2011-12 Jack Connolly F Sr. Minnesota-Duluth
2010-11 Andy Miele F Sr. Miami
2009-10 Blake Geoffrion F Sr. Wisconsin
2008-09 Matt Gilroy D Sr. Boston University
2007-08 Kevin Porter F Sr. Michigan
2003-04 Junior Lessard F Sr. Minnesota-Duluth
2001-02 Jordan Leopold D Sr. Minnesota
1999-00 Mike Mottau D Sr. Boston College
1998-99 Jason Krog F Sr. New Hampshire
1997-98 Chris Drury F Sr. Boston University
1996-97 Brendan Morrison F Sr. Michigan
1995-96 Brian Bonin F Sr. Minnesota
1994-95 Brian Holzinger F Sr. Bowling Green
1993-94 Chris Marinucci F Sr. Minnesota-Duluth
1991-92 Scott Pellerin F Sr. Maine
1990-91 David Emma F Sr. Boston College
1989-90 Kip Miller F Sr. Michigan State
1988-89 Lane MacDonald F Sr. Harvard
1985-86 Scott Fusco F Sr. Harvard
1983-84 Tom Kurvers D Sr. Minnesota-Duluth
1982-83 Mark Fusco D Sr. Harvard
1981-82 George McPhee F Sr. Bowling Green

You left off the best player to win the hobey baker in the last 25 years in 1993

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Huh? Have you seen Will Butcher play hockey? Active stick, good short area quickness, very responsible defensively. He doesn't have the elite wheels you normally see out of smaller defensemen, but "can't skate" is a bit much.

He is a poor skater for his size, his D game is underrated though at least on the NCAA level. However, the NHL is a different beast, smallish, sub par skaters don't transition well to the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad