News Article: 2017 Heritage Classic coming to Ottawa?

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
It would be cool if to coincide with the 100th season of the NHL the Sens, Leafs and Habs (the three teams that played in the first NHL season) made a mini tournament of regular season games and played them outdoors. I'm not one to jump on the outdoor games hype bandwagon, but since none of the cities have had one I think a special scenario like this could be cool.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
It would be cool if to coincide with the 100th season of the NHL the Sens, Leafs and Habs (the three teams that played in the first NHL season) made a mini tournament of regular season games and played them outdoors.

The Leafs didn't join the NHL until 1927, so puck them!

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
The Leafs didn't join the NHL until 1927, so puck them!

the team joined at the start the team was solid a few times with name changes happening but was still the same team.

either way it is a cool idea have the original 3 cities playing outdoor games as the 100 year anniversary of the league.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
I know it won't happen, but three games between Ottawa, Montreal, and Toronto.

Ottawa vs Toronto in Ottawa
Montreal vs Ottawa in Montreal
Toronto vs Montreal in Toronto

Or

Ottawa vs Montreal in Ottawa
Montreal vs Toronto in Montreal
Toronto vs Ottawa in Toronto

OTownApologist

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I know it won't happen, but three games between Ottawa, Montreal, and Toronto.

Ottawa vs Toronto in Ottawa
Montreal vs Ottawa in Montreal
Toronto vs Montreal in Toronto

Or

Ottawa vs Montreal in Ottawa
Montreal vs Toronto in Montreal
Toronto vs Ottawa in Toronto

Option B is the better one. It would really suck for Ottawa's outdoor game to be filled with Leafs fans, like most Battle of Ontario games. Not nearly as bad of a thing in Ottawa. That wouldn't happen in Montreal for a Leafs game either. And a Toronto hosted Battle of Ontario in the capital of Ontario would be extremely appropriate. Whereas the two first dynasties of Canada's sport would face off in Canada's capital for the 150th.

With all that being said, I think just one game in Ottawa vs Montreal would be enough. A fantastic rivalry has been created between them, and there would be massive storylines in that game. I'd like to see Ottawa rock no logo barberpoles if that transpired.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Sounds interesting, be a nice add to the 100th regular season in a couple yrs. to have something involving Ottawa, montreal and Toronto.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Sounds interesting, be a nice add to the 100th regular season in a couple yrs. to have something involving Ottawa, montreal and Toronto.

You know what would be awesome? 100th season celebration, and have Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto have a mini 3-team series in the middle of the season, all outdoor games.

Jan 1 - Toronto @ Ottawa, Lansdowne Stadium/TD Whatever It's Called
Jan 2 - Ottawa @ Montreal, Molson Stadium
Jan 3 - Montreal @ Toronto, BMO Field

lafite

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Back-to-back games on outdoor rinks?

If I'm a player, I would want no part of that.

If I was a spectator, I would want no part of that either. Surely the novelty has worn off by now, and what is so great about freezing your ass off, sitting a quarter mile away from the action, and probably paying premium prices for the privilege? I will watch it, maybe, on TV, and see if instead of the Zamboni, they send out a big yellow snow plow between periods.

Ttracer*

Hopefully not, the fans are too far from the action. Let the mouth breathers in California enjoy their outdoor games

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
If it is an outdoor game who would you rather play between Toronto and Montreal?

I am leaning Toronto because it would make for a better retired guys game (assuming the league doesn't deprive us of one of those again)

Ttracer*

If it is an outdoor game who would you rather play between Toronto and Montreal?

I am leaning Toronto because it would make for a better retired guys game (assuming the league doesn't deprive us of one of those again)
Vancouver, so it'll be 90% sens fans not ,10%

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Whether its Montreal or Toronto it should be an Ottawans duty to make sure to get tickets and support the sens a big event like this being invaded by habs/leafs would be an embarrassment to the club.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Whether its Montreal or Toronto it should be an Ottawans duty to make sure to get tickets and support the sens a big event like this being invaded by habs/leafs would be an embarrassment to the club.

I don't see why this is always a concern, Ottawa fans always do well in the playoffs, I don't know why it would be any different for this.

Ttracer*

It would be cool if they played an NHL game right on the canal. They can build NHL ice right on top. That would be quite the show, music, shows, food, ice sculptures and NHL hockey on the longest public skating rink in the world. TourismOttawa and my dream

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
If I was a spectator, I would want no part of that either. Surely the novelty has worn off by now, and what is so great about freezing your ass off, sitting a quarter mile away from the action, and probably paying premium prices for the privilege? I will watch it, maybe, on TV, and see if instead of the Zamboni, they send out a big yellow snow plow between periods.

Surely after eight years of people crowing that nonsense, people would realize that they're wrong.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
Rumour has it it'll be held on Sunday Dec 31. If they were really on the ball, they'd mix in some sort of New years Eve party with Alumni etc - 'cause there better be an Alumni game this time around.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Surely after eight years of people crowing that nonsense, people would realize that they're wrong.

Exactly. It has lost its luster to me on a general level (I don't really watch them; but the last one I watched was the Michigan Stadium one and that was cool). However, if an outdoor game was at TD Place, you better believe I'll be there.

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
Ottawa Tampa would be cool since they are expansion twins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad