2017 has been a weird year when it comes to scoring...

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
So we've got 2 weeks left in 2017 and when you look at the stats for the year a few weird surprises pop up: NHL.com - Stats

Seems like McDavid and Kucherov have been in a League of their own, but it's surprisingly close between them still. McDavid leads with 97 Points over Kucherov who has 96. Surprising to see Scheifele and Wheeler all the way in the top 5, but I guess playing with Laine has really boosted their numbers. Marchand has been pretty crazy good too in 2017 but I guess nobody has really noticed since he's only played 63 games. Would've been up there with McDavid and Kucherov otherwise.

Strange to see Crosby's been struggling in 2017 since he's been hyped so much and people have been bragging that he's returned to form. But Crosby has actually only put up 32+48=80 Points in 77 games. Pretty unimpressive for a guy that won both the Rocket Trophy and Conn Smythe if you ask me. On the other hand Tavares seems to be back, although he still hasn't reached that potential he has. But 9th in Points so far with 36+43=79 Points in only 74 games isn't too bad at all. And with 2 weeks to go Tavares could still challange for a top 3 spot if he heats up.

But Ovechkin still seems to be the most strange case of them all. Despite being 21st in scoring in 2016-17 and being 13th this season so far, Ovechkin has somehow been able to crack the top 10 in scoring in 2017. I mean that should be mathematically impossible. It's like Ovechkin has been breaking the laws of physics in 2017. And what's even more strange is his stat line of 39+39=78 Points in 80 games. Somehow Ovechkin has been able to sneak it by us all that he's become just as good of a playmaker as a goalscorer once again.

Some other huge surprises in 2017 is that some guy named "Anders Lee" has been able to score 40 goals in 78 games. Brent Burns is still the highest scoring Dman despite struggling a lot lately. And neither Matthews or Laine has been able to crack the Top 25 in scoring despite having the most threads made about them on HF Boards in 2017.

So what are some other weird things that's been happening in 2017 that most of us have missed?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Have you improved your English, MM? I feel a different flow in your text. Or have contractred a ghostwriter to write your posts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad