OT: 2017 Football Thread I: Jets trade Richardson to Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It would be something if he shut Odell down at all, but Odell OWNS him.

Someone on BBV summed it up best. His game isn't based on talent. He's not all that talented. He's an average player. His game is based on **** talking and mind games. Admittedly, he's great at that. When you shut him out and don't respond, though, he just falls apart. The book is out on Norman and I love that the Slurs gave him that giant-ass contract.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The NFC is going to be fun. I think it's wide open. Aside of Detroit, I could see any team coming out. I also don't think Atlanta comes out - not all that impressed when I watch them, but they're home until a possible conf final so tough to rule them out.

In the AFC - Miami-Pitt could be fun. But the Texans/Oakland game I have zero interest in now that Carr is out. Winner will get destroyed in NE. NE probably ends up coming out. They essentially have a bye to the conf final.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Also, **** Josh Norman. Mediocre corner with a 5 cent head. Loved watching that ********* be knocked out of the playoffs.

CB=Most overrated position in the NFL
Norman is so overpaid its mind boggling that the Washington GM still has a job.
Watched Green Bay play half a game without a functioning CB and a collection of DB's and safetys baffle Detroit.
Only the Jets would be dumb enough to trade down and pick two in the first round.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
When it comes to the AFC playoffs as a longtime Jets fan, I hate the Pats with a passion and would love nothing more than for them to be eliminated before the Super Bowl. Unfortunatly I'm also realistic and know full well that it aint happening. I could have possibly bought into the Raiders but with no Carr, Raiders are toast and have zero chance. Can any of y'all see the Chiefs going into Foxboro and beating Pats with Alex Smith? Me neither. The Dolphins? The Texans? Sorry can't see either of them beating the Pats on the road or even if they were home....just won't happen.

So that leaves the Steelers. For any of us Patriot haters out there, Pittsburgh offers us the only possible team in the AFC that could maybe give them a game and sweat it out. I still think the Patriots would have a 85% chance of winning that game if it came to be but at least the Steelers have the kind of team that has a punchers chance. So my hope is that Pittsburgh gets to the AFC title game and maybe pulls off a miracle.

As far as the NFC, it's more wide open obviously as any of the 6 teams...yes even the Lions have an outside shot at getting to the NFC title game. I know everyone is on the Cowboys and Packers bandwagons and think either of those two will be the NFC representative in the Super Bowl. I'm going with the New York football Giants which would be Patriots worst nightmare if it came to be.

The Giants to me are the only team that has a defense that is playing Super Bowl winning type D. I think they will beat the Pack Sunday. I think they will end up playing the Cowboys and will beat them for the 3rd time. And I have not doubt they can and would beat either the Falcons or Seattle if they played them in the NFC title game. I'm thinking Gmen couldn't play the Boys in the title game seeing they would be the lowest seed to advance under my scenerio of them beating the Pack and so they would need to beat the Boys in the semi's.

If this sounds familiar to what the Gmen did in 2011, it should be seeing that is exactly what they did....beat the Pack at Lambeau and beat the Boys in Dallas. It's going to be deja vous all over again and the Super Bowl will be the Gmen vs Pats for a 3rd time. And we all know that would be the Hoodie and Brady's worst nightmare. Looking fwd to the playoffs to commence....should be fun.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
Someone on BBV summed it up best. His game isn't based on talent. He's not all that talented. He's an average player. His game is based on **** talking and mind games. Admittedly, he's great at that. When you shut him out and don't respond, though, he just falls apart. The book is out on Norman and I love that the Slurs gave him that giant-ass contract.

Is it just me or does he get away with a lot of penalties?

Edit: Suppose they caught him quite a bit this season. 19 total penalties on the year. Just feels like I saw multiple holds on him this past game that didn't get called, but maybe it's just me.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/all-players.php?year=2016

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'm a Giants fan and to beat the Packers they need playoff Eli. The advantage is Green Bay's defense isn't anything to write home about so if Beckham and Shepard can get open for little 4-5 yard catches and get yards after the catch, they'll be fine. They need to go Parcells era old school and run often and effectively. Beat Green Bay in time of possession.

Aaron Rodgers is going to be a pain with his scrambling. Getting to him in the pocket won't be enough.

It all comes down to Eli though because if the Giants offense isn't working, all Rodgers will have to do is have two successful drives with no turnovers.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
I'm a Giants fan living in WI. Having the WI soccer moms talking **** all off season will really suck. Really need the offense to step up here. GB has a horrendous defense

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Is it just me or does he get away with a lot of penalties?

Edit: Suppose they caught him quite a bit this season. 19 total penalties on the year. Just feels like I saw multiple holds on him this past game that didn't get called, but maybe it's just me.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/all-players.php?year=2016

He definitely does. Mediocre players tend to get caught a lot since they don't have the talent.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Watched Green Bay play half a game without a functioning CB and a collection of DB's and safetys baffle Detroit.
Only the Jets would be dumb enough to trade down and pick two in the first round.

Eh, there's no way the giants make the playoffs without DRC, Jenkins & Apple. Those three and Collins are just as big a part of why we've been able to get away with a mediocre pass rush, as our phenomenal run D.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC

Part of it is when he was with the Panthers last year, he was the biggest **** on a team full of ****s. They all played off each other's ****, and got away with a lot.

Redskins got sucked in by a lucky season by an overachieving bunch of ****s, and thought Norman was the key to all of it.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I'm a Giants fan and to beat the Packers they need playoff Eli. The advantage is Green Bay's defense isn't anything to write home about so if Beckham and Shepard can get open for little 4-5 yard catches and get yards after the catch, they'll be fine. They need to go Parcells era old school and run often and effectively. Beat Green Bay in time of possession.

Aaron Rodgers is going to be a pain with his scrambling. Getting to him in the pocket won't be enough.

It all comes down to Eli though because if the Giants offense isn't working, all Rodgers will have to do is have two successful drives with no turnovers.

Agreed Eli needs to step up his game. I think he will. If there is one constant with Eli throughout his career it's that when he get's into the dance, his level of play morphs well beyond his regular season stats. Listen, I'm not Giant fan and to be honest, not exactly thrilled that once again the Gmen are making my Jets look like a joke even after last seasons anomoly when it was the other way around. But I'm also logical and I know what I'm seeing. And what I see is a team that in the past 10 games or so is playing as good a defense as I've seen in I don't know....7-10 years. Probably the 2007 Giants were close to this defense and I think this year's is even better due to the secondary being so damn good. I can see them throttling Rodgers or Dak Prescott.

One last thing about Eli. The guy is 8-3 in his 11 playoff games. If you take out the first game of his playoff career 11 years ago when he threw 3 picks to the Panthers in that 23-0 shutout, Eli has thrown 17 TD's and only 5 picks. His QB rating if once again you take out that first game is close 100.0. I'd be shocked beyond shocked if Eli doesn't end up having a solid game vs Rodgers and the Pack. Pack defense sux by the way. No reason Giants don't win this game even if Rodgers pulls off a few magic tricks. He won't be able to pull off enough. Giants win 24-20....book it!....:nod:

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
Hopefully Detroit's inside running success vs GB translates for us. And hopefully the bulk of the carries go to Perkins.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Yeah, Perkins needs to be the feature back going forward. He's so much more effective than Jennings, it's absurd. I was pulling out my hair when they started giving Jennings the bulk of the carries in the second half last game.

Jennings is incapable of making a cut. If the hole isn't there, he just buries his head and plows ahead for no gain. He runs into his own blockers a frustratingly large percentage of the time. It's like he has zero agility.

Perkins can cut off the block, and bounce a play outside if need be. He can turn runs into big gains in a way that Jennings simply can't.

I'm hoping the coaching staff can use Perkins to open up the passing game a bit for Eli.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Not really. You need NFL capable corners. It's a weird position because 1st rounders can bust easily, but someone in the middle rounds can become all world. It really comes down to system and what you need, unless there is a Revis type corner in the draft.

Jets definitely need to take one in the draft, maybe not in the 1st, but with a decent pick.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I'm trying to find the stat but apparently Rodgers' passer rating actually goes up when under duress according to Collinsworth. That's wild.

I could see it for a few reasons. His OL is really good, like amazing good at pass protection and there are less defenders out there covering. Brady is the same way. He'll kill you when you blitz. You need to get to him with 4 or 5 at most.

Rodgers is another kind of animal because not only can he tear you apart, he can run if everyone is covered. Brady can't and that's part of the reason the Broncos beat them last season. They got pressure with Von Miller and their corners are top flight.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I don't see anyone stopping the Packers. So at least if the Giants do lose, I don't expect Dallas to make it.

Giants D is top 3 in the league in my opinion, but Rodgers is playing on another level right now so you know the Pack will put up 20 points. And I'm not confident the Giants can put up 20 on offense...sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad