2017 Draft Discussion - Sabres Pick 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Tolvanen has looked great in a top 10 I'm wildly unexcited about

I don't mind the top of this draft, there are good players. Almost like 2014, you might be as well off being 6-10 as you would be 2-5.

I just want the most talented forward available with our first, or a puckmoving d

Last edited:

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I don't mind the top of this draft, there are good players. Almost like 2014, you might be as well of being 6-10 as you would be 2-5.

I just want the most talented forward available with our first, or a puckmoving d

Your lips to God's ears......

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I see them going after one of the Finnish players. Vesalainen or Heiskanen in particular. If Kane is dealt for defense, I would assume Vesalainen. The nice thing about the Euro's is that you can bring them to Rochester immediately, like we've done with Nylander since he was on loan to CHL from Europe.

What are Sabres needs for upcoming draft?.
If situation in draft board is that 3 best players available for Sabres are Vesalainen, Heiskanen and Tippet which-one you'll choose?.

Miro Heiskanen has been excellent in HIFK's liiga team this season and he's clearly best defenseman in HIFK.
Heiskanen is left-shot puck-moving defenseman but in HIFK Heiskanen plays RHD.

He's 6'0 tall and lacks a bit of defensive awareness and physicality as LHD he would good pair for Ristolainen.
At the moment Miro Heiskanen studying local sports high school in Helsinki ( he's 2nd year high-school student and he's goal is graduate from high-school in 4 years).

So if Sabres really drafts him he would not have ready to come NHL / AHL immediately after his draft.
Here's Miro Heiskanen's scouting report from futureconsiderations http://futureconsiderations.ca/player/miro-heiskanen/

and his stats from HIFK.
http://liiga.fi/pelaajat/28843210/heiskanen-miro/ottelu-ottelulta
http://liiga.fi/tilastot/2016-2017/...ayer_stats=enhanced&sort=COR%-C#stats-wrapper. GP, Corsi, Corsi Close, percentage of offensive-zone starts, 5-on-5 shooting %, 5-on-5 saves %, PDO.

Not bad for a kid who just turned 17.

And here's video of Miro Heiskanen's 2nd FEL regular season goal against Pelicans Lahti 27th October.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OWEGH4ANHE

Last edited:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Nico Hischier is straight fire right now. Top 10 pick by year's end.

Last edited:

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
How is nico's speed? I'm not finding a lot of tape that is showing him in open ice. Mostly shooting in tight or on the pp.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
How is nico's speed? I'm not finding a lot of tape that is showing him in open ice. Mostly shooting in tight or on the pp.

I don't know that he has long speed, but I guess I'd be surprised if he didn't. His short area quickness is godly though. I've never thought much of Patrick, but Nico would be a heck of a consolation prize if injuries destroy this season.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
do you like the top of this draft?
I've been really skewing my viewings toward LH wing or defense prospects so far, as I view that as the organizational need, but no, not so much. My early impressions are it's not the strongest NA crop and I find myself preferring what I've seen from the Euros/imports. Teams should be able to grab a good player in the lottery again though.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I've been really skewing my viewings toward LH wing or defense prospects so far, as I view that as the organizational need, but no, not so much. My early impressions are it's not the strongest NA crop and I find myself preferring what I've seen from the Euros/imports. Teams should be able to grab a good player in the lottery again though.

It would be nice to come away from this draft with 2 Dmen in the first 60 picks.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Any chance that Liljegren falls to #4-#5 ala Seth Jones. More teams seem to want to draft forwards (centers in particular), so I wonder if we do end up in a #4-#5 position if he becomes a possibility for us.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Spent a good amount of time watching Hischier this weekend.

Top 5 pick for sure. Great skating, great vision, great shot, great backcheck. Hell of a package.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Is he comparable to anyone? Or what type of game does he have?

I know you can't scout or whatever off YouTube, but if you watch his U18 video on there you can get a pretty good idea of what kinda player he is. He's a big powerful winger who can pass and score, stylistically he looks a bit like Barkov. I'm a fan.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
I know you can't scout or whatever off YouTube, but if you watch his U18 video on there you can get a pretty good idea of what kinda player he is. He's a big powerful winger who can pass and score, stylistically he looks a bit like Barkov. I'm a fan.

I really like Vesalainen, he's been a guy I've been looking at all year. I don't necessarily agree with that comp as comparing C and W are hard. He looks a lot like Ladd to me. May need to be more agressive, but that will come with time and strength training.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If the Sabres' injury woes keep them down all season, their current standings spot puts them in the race for a top 5 pick.

I'd love to see GMTM go defense early if Liljegren is still available. If not, Tippett is looking great. If the Sabres still have pick-firepower, getting in on the back end of the 1st for Salo would be sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad