2017 Draft discussion- Sabres pick 8th. Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
You can make anyone's highlights look good. He finished the tournament with +/- of -5. I want to see highlights of that -5 portion before I have an opinion on him. A defender needs to be able to defend before anything else. The goals may have nothing to do with him but if they do, that's what makes you hesitate to spend a top10 pick on him.

I have the exact same reservations about Makar who by all accounts has not faced serious competition to show he is competent at his primary job to defend.

I get your point for sure but, you are drafting a player like Liljegren because of the skating/skill package that he brings to the table, not how his defensive game is at 18 years old.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
You can make anyone's highlights look good. He finished the tournament with +/- of -5. I want to see highlights of that -5 portion before I have an opinion on him. A defender needs to be able to defend before anything else. The goals may have nothing to do with him but if they do, that's what makes you hesitate to spend a top10 pick on him.

I have the exact same reservations about Makar who by all accounts has not faced serious competition to show he is competent at his primary job to defend.
Plus/Minus is such a stupid stat since its not very representative of the player themself rather than your entire line or unit depending what situation you are playing in.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Plus/Minus is such a stupid stat since its not very representative of the player themself rather than your entire line or unit depending what situation you are playing in.

That's why I said I wanted to see some of the goals while he's on the ice...to see if it is directly linked to his play or team deficiencies. I am not saying his +/- is his fault, I am saying I would like to know if it is before I pencil him in the top 10. Yes he seems to have great skating and puck control from the highlights and seems to have an OK shot but none of this tells me how he is defensively and acting under pressure in his own zone. The point is that Youtube videos do that - highlight strengths but hide faults so I'm very cautious forming opinion on players based on that cause they may be hiding something fairly close to a deal-breaker.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Benning was interviewed on Vancouver's TSN station this afternoon and seemed open to moving down depending on how the first four picks went. That said, he also went on glowingly about Makar so I suspect it would be that Makar is gone by five that would have Benning looking to move down.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Maybe we get lucky next lottery and get #1 to take Dahlin when we miss the playoffs by 1 point......Just kidding. The Sabres will never win a lotto.

I'm ready for whatever tomorrow. I have 100% faith in Botterill and will be pleased with whoever he picks,be it a forward or defenseman. Even if Heiskanen, Makar AND Liljegren are all gone in the first 7 picks and he takes Valimaki or another dman I'll be ok with it. He knows what to do.

I'm guessing depending on how the first 7 shake out that we are either drafting Timothy Liljegren, Owen Tippett or Cody Glass. And I'd be ecstatic with any of them. I feel Tippett is being undervalued in this draft. By far the best pure goal scorer, he has the speed and sniping ability to be a 30 goal scorer in this league. Part of me wants Tippett bad assuming Makar and Heiskanen are gone. I'm just picturing a top line of Nylander-Eichel-Tippett demolishing teams for a decade+. The speed/skating that a line featuring those 3 would possess is just insane. I could see all 3 of them being perennial 30+ goal scorers with Eichel putting up 90-100 points a season. I'd be happy with Glass also, I think he's going to be a very nice high end 2C, a guy who just produces.

The only player I do not want is Rasmussen. And not just because of his name. I'm not going to front and make it seem like I actually have seen extensive viewing of the draft prospects. Besides the WJC and a few memorial cup games the biggest extent of seeing these players in action is on YouTube. So I'm mainly going off scouting reports/online videos to assess them, but Rasmussen just does not impress me. Tippett on the other hand I really like. I think he has all the talent to be a consistent 30 goal scorer. Maybe he does have a slightly higher then you'd like bust factor for a top 10 pick. I'd still roll the dice on him. If Kane isn't going to be extended then we need a premier pure goal scorer and Tippett and his skating, speed and shot is exactly what I want on my top line riding shotgun with Eichel.

I have faith in you Botterill. For the first time in a very long time I have faith in the Sabres GM. I can't explain how amazing it feels to have an actual competent high caliber GM in charge instead of that ****ING buffoon Tim Murray. Thank god Pegula fired him, I couldn't stomach another Murray draft and his asinine trades.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
USHR is reporting that Tolvanen has admission problems at BC, so options like a new school (brother's starting goalie at NMU, for example), USHL overkill, Oshawa, Finland, and AHL open up for him.

I don't see any way Makar's there when BUF picks at 8OA either, but UMass has a second undersized defender recruit that probably hasn't gotten many mentions here in Mario Ferraro that could have good value/upside in middle rounds.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Also, per usual on draft days, here's a foolproof Mibbit link for those interested in the chat; just enter your nick and then hit go there .. pertinent info's the irc.esper.net server and #sabres channel for those that are familiar with IRC or prefer another client .. I'll be in there intermittently throughout the day and definitely around for draft hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad