2017 Draft Discussion - Part Deux

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
I'm burned out from the draft after the past few years. Wake me up when we pick, if the kid plays above a beer-league level I'll be happy.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'm surprised by a lot of things in that list. If the Coyotes can snag Tolvanen, Poehling or Kostin at 23, it'll ease the burn of going for someone I'm relatively low on at 7. Something like Glass and Tolvanen in the first round would be as impressive a haul as last year.

I maintain that while this draft is probably in the bottom quartile for the top 3-5 picks relative to other drafts, the top 20-25 are at least average in the aggregate, and the top 50 are above average.

agree on this...was hoping for those guys (except for Kostin), would also love if Lias Andersson fell to #23

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Done picking in the moderator mock draft. It will probably be posted publicly tomorrow. Ended up with in no particular order: 2x RHD, 1x G, 1x RW, 1x C.

Looking forward to everyone savaging my picks :)

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
So Mackenzie's article notes that Mittelstadt had the worst VO2 test performance of any prospect at the combine. He's not just weak in the upper body, he's straight up out of shape.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
So Mackenzie's article notes that Mittelstadt had the worst VO2 test performance of any prospect at the combine. He's not just weak in the upper body, he's straight up out of shape.

I would want to see the results of his test. Saying he is out of shape because of his VO2 results is just plain inaccurate.That VO2 test can be misleading depending on what you are looking at and how to apply the results to a specific sport.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Last place tho...

Consider that along with 0 pull ups and 1 bench press. 200+ lbs around 6'0. The kid is out of shape.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'd be thrilled with that haul. Glass/Kostin/Jokiharju is about the best possible value I can expect from those three slots. Nice work.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Summarizing the picks for any that don't want to read the full draft:

#7 - Cody Glass (C), 6'1.75, 178lbs - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
#23 - Klim Kostin (C/RW), 6'2.5, 207lbs - Dynamo Moscow/Dynamo Balashikha
#35 - Henri Jokiharju (RHD) 5'11.75", 188lbs - Portland Winterhawks (WHL) (Finnish national)
#69 - Maxim Zhukov (G), 6'2", 194lbs - Green Bay Gamblers (USHL) (Russian national)
#78 - Josh Brook (RHD), 6'1, 191lbs - Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL)

- #7 Had to take Glass over Makar. This pick was made two weeks ago, based on recent projections I'm guessing Makar won't be here in the real draft.

- #23 With Glass in pocket seemed like a good place to swing for the fences with Kostin. Higher risk then some other players available, but also higher upside potential.

- #35 Was between Jokiharju and P-O Joseph here. Every ranking/scouting report I've read has them ranked very close to each other. In the end went with the RHD over the LHD.

- #69 Was planning to select a goalie with one of the 3rd round picks. I suspected (wrongly) that there might be a few goalies taken in the 3rd, so decided to use the earlier of the 3rd rounders. Zhukov is pretty highly regarded and most projections have him drafted around this spot. Russian national who came over to NA to play in the USHL--remember the CHL banned import goalies, so a lot of those European goalie prospects are going to the USHL now.

- #78 Several of the other players I considered at #69 went before here like Samberg, Mitchell and Morand. Opted to go with late riser Josh Brook. He's been shooting up draft boards (#47 on Bob's compilation list) this season. Described as a very good player without any elite attributes, but also no major weakness. Plays a smart game that could translate well to the NHL.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I like the top 3 you got...and that is the most important, because the other guys are just things that may stick on the wall.

I'm not sure we'd draft a Russian, but still like it.

Englishcoyote

Jun 15, 2015
Manchester, England
I would be looking for a non centre with the 7th pick, think we have enough depth there so I would pick between (if still available) in this order of preference cale maker, miro heiskanen, Tim liliegran, and Owen Tippett.

Maker is the one I think won't be there but you never know, he's potentially the dark horse on the board and has massive up size and skilled offensive d man that's good on the break out but questionable defensive qualities. Heiskanen plays key minutes on pp and pk in men's league and is the best two way d man in draft. Tim liliegran is liked to Karlsson and has great skating but illness cost him a higher placing. Tippett is the best shooter in the draft and head of scouting Tb absolutely loves him, he's got speed and a NHL shot already.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I would be looking for a non centre with the 7th pick, think we have enough depth there

Our center pipeline effectively consists of Strome and Dvorak. All it takes is for one of those two to not pan out to be back to the status quo with how crappy our organizational depth at center has been since the 90s.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd be disappointed with Liljegren at 7, but I'd understand it. Brannstrom at 23 would be fantastic.

I also didn't give Mouser's draft any applause, so :handclap:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think Chainshot had the best draft of all the mods but mouser is definitely a runner-up. That's a damn nice haul.

He did draft your waifu Makar.

Kostin is the type of house money gamble I hope Chayka takes with 23, if he's there.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I would be looking for a non centre with the 7th pick, think we have enough depth there so I would pick between (if still available) in this order of preference cale maker, miro heiskanen, Tim liliegran, and Owen Tippett.

Maker is the one I think won't be there but you never know, he's potentially the dark horse on the board and has massive up size and skilled offensive d man that's good on the break out but questionable defensive qualities. Heiskanen plays key minutes on pp and pk in men's league and is the best two way d man in draft. Tim liliegran is liked to Karlsson and has great skating but illness cost him a higher placing. Tippett is the best shooter in the draft and head of scouting Tb absolutely loves him, he's got speed and a NHL shot already.

Latest rumors are Colorado is targeting Makar at #4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad