2017 Draft Class downgraded from "Weak" to "Terrible"

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I still feel the top 10 can be as good as any of the recent ones outside of the not having a clear superstar but after that the depth in this draft is just a plain crapshoot.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I still feel the top 10 can be as good as any of the recent ones outside of the not having a clear superstar but after that the depth in this draft is just a plain crapshoot.

Top 10? You mean top 2:

This is considered a weak draft class. After the top two players - center Nolan Patrick, who was Ivan Provorov's teammate in juniors, and Nico Hischier, a center called the Swiss Connor McDavid - there isn't much difference among the rest of the first-round talent, scouts say.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20170219_Time_to_break_up_the_flawed_Flyers.html

This isn't the firs time I read this either. It's a crapshoot after the top 2.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't believe it is....3 of the defenseman alone in the top 10 or so are all very good.

There's no consensus amongst scouts. Some gave Liljegren at #3, others as low #17...etc.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Does NBC do their own TDL thing? This seems more like a clickbait article trying to hype the deadline rather than downgrade the draft.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't know that i'd call it outright "terrible", but it's definitely not looking like a draft with abundant clear-cut talent at the top, and once you get past Patrick+Hischier, it really does look like a crapshoot draft. Guys ranked all over the place depending on the scout...lots of guys with interesting potential, but also big questionmarks or red flags.

Still don't see that inducing a lot of teams to move more 1st round picks than normal. Those top picks are just too crucial these days, getting young talent infusion to help manage the cap.

This draft looks like one that will have some "steals" and some real "busts". Hence the wildly polarized rankings and opinions on so many of the prospects. It's a roll of the dice (probably even more than usual), but the chance of getting that all important "steal" is still just too much for teams to give up in this day and age where youth is so critical to success.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
This is the year the Avs decided it was a good time to have a historically bad season.

They've had 5 top 10 picks in the last 8 years, in 3 of those years they picked #1, #2, and #3, picking MacKinnon, Landeskog and Duchene respectively. The other two picks were at #10, getting Rantanen and Jost, two future top line studs.

The Avs, perhaps more so than any other team in the league, should not complain about the quality of prospect available when they have a high draft pick :laugh:

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
After the 1999 Draft, I don't believe a draft is horrible or good anymore. Maybe for generational players, but there's still a chance a Kucherov, Webber, or Benn can be found. All about development and organizational philosophy.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad