GDT: 2017 Draft (7, NBCSN) | The lowest 1st-rd pick in NHL history is still a 1st-rd pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I figured the board could use a thread to talk about the Penguins needs/targets/whatever at the 2017 NHL Entry Draft. I gathered a quick list of recent rankings- it is by no means a comprehensive list, but by taking a quick glance at them one could get a decent sense of who might be available when the Penguins pick (provided the FO does not trade away a first).

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-patrick-liljegren-in-top-two-spots-1.620528

https://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospects-blog/mckeens-2017-top-30-nhl-draft-rankings-dec-2016-makar-breaks/

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2017-nhl-draft-rankings/

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/sportsnets-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-december/

https://www.nhl.com/info/nhl-central-scouting-player-rankings

As far as picks go, it looks like the Penguins still have their original 7, plus Ottawa’s 5th rounder from the Condon trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Highest priority should be high end D-prospects if you ask me. Would also like another RW, preferably a powerforward, since Sprong is pretty much all we have on the RW prospect chart.

I'll be satisfied if we don't draft another goalie though.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
A D in the first round would be great, and just speed in general is what I'd go for.

Matsun

Aug 15, 2010
I know that Maxime Comtois started the year in the top 5 and has been falling all year so maybe he can be another Saad or Chychrun who both fell from top positions in their draft seasons and ended up being steals.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think I'd probably hope for one of Strome, Hague, Valimaki or Andersson from this draft. I think drafting a center or a defenseman would be best, but I wouldn't turn my nose at drafting a LWer if Strome is available. I wouldn't want to pick someone going the NCAA route in the 1st round, I'd save the down the line picks for later rounds.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I've seen Hague dropping in alot of rankings (no idea why). Maybe a bit of a pipe dream, but I would love a guy like him who can consitently score with hard slappers from the point.

Owen Tippett seems to be a steady faller too. Big bodied scoring RW? Yes please.

Miro Heiskanen is already playing top pairing minutes on a good Liiga team I heard, so he wouldn't be a bad choice.

Artyom Minulin is a similar player to Hague, just smaller.

Alexander Chmelevski (great name) is a C/RW I have my eyes on too.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Doesn't have to be this year but it's almost time to start looking at moving up in some of the next few drafts to get a high end centre.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bjorkqvist is playing in an exhibition game tonight against Canada on Finland's 3rd line. Gustavsson may play tonight got Sweden too.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Small soon to be college forwards from US high schools.

Looking at our roster, I wouldn't be too mad if they took a few gambles on that in the later rounds ;)

I'd like a centre and a right-sided defenceman in the opening two rounds please, although I wouldn't say no to a blue-chip winger going lower than he should. But we've got plenty of young-ish wingers who can play top 9, we drafted all the left-sided Dmen last year, three great young goaltenders, but centres and right-sied dmen look a problem.

torrencemd

Jun 27, 2006
I know that Maxime Comtois started the year in the top 5 and has been falling all year so maybe he can be another Saad or Chychrun who both fell from top positions in their draft seasons and ended up being steals.

To b fair, so did Phil Esposito. Had such high hopes and look where he is at... it's all really a crap shoot that you hope to pull a gem.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
To b fair, so did Phil Esposito. Had such high hopes and look where he is at... it's all really a crap shoot that you hope to pull a gem.
Hall of fame? I guess it was Angelo you were talking about, unfortunately he isn't good enough even for the Italian league.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
It's mainly the top picks that are worse than they usually are. Nothing we should care about IMO.

Another list that shows Hague dropping to us. Me likey.

If he's within 5 picks or so from us, I'd even consider trading up to get him. Would be a huge get.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
It's mainly the top picks that are worse than they usually are. Nothing we should care about IMO.

Another list that shows Hague dropping to us. Me likey.

It's a bit weird Brannstrom is not even listed,yet he has Makar at 13. I won't complain if we draft Brannstrom with our first.He can fly.

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Popugaev almost 6'6 with 23 goals(53 pts) in 42 games. Malkin's future left winger. With Nikita being his first name and all...

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
1st: Makar/Necas/Hague
2nd:Chemlevski/Martin/Minulin
3rd,4th,etc: BPA

Necas is obviously a fantasy but I have hope.
Also idk why Minulin and Chemlevski are so low on Craig's list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad