Prospect Info: 2017 CFHF Prospect Rankings: #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I think it's time to start the rankings for this year.

Last years rankings:
1. Matthew Tkachuk - GRADUATED
2. Jon Gillies
3. Mark Jankowski
4. Oliver Kylington
5. Hunter Shinkaruk
6. Rasmus Andersson
7. Emile Poirier
8. Brandon Hickey - TRADED
9. Andrew Mangiapane
10. Morgan Klimchuk
11. Brett Kulak
12. Mason McDonald
13. Tyler Wotherspoon
13. Brett Pollock
15. Dillon Dube
16. Tyler Parsons
17. Adam Fox
18. Eetu Tuulola
19. Linus Lindstrom
20. Daniel Pribyl

Wotherspoon, Kulak & Hathaway all don't qualify as "rookies" anymore since they have played over 25 games in the NHL, so let me know if you'd like to see them in the polls or not, for now I'll keep them in it.

Run-off rules (copied from Angelsmith's thread last year):
• If first and second place are separated by a number of votes less than or equal to the number of votes for third place, a run-off vote will take place.
• If first and third are separated by a number of votes less than the number of all other votes, a three-way run-off vote will take place.
• Rules are subject to change due to common sense at all times.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Deja Vu:
Ni3p3O9.png

O2YQcpJ.png

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I voted Parsons, but it was a coin flip for me. I just think how potential as a starting goalie eclipses Janko's potential as a middle six centre.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Same old discussion, sure thing verses potential impact. Janko is pretty much a can't miss middle six centre, but I think Parsons has the potential to make a bigger impact. Maybe it's the wrong way to look at it, but I went with Parsons this year, hope Janko makes me regret it!

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Jankowski isn't a middle six center. That's just his floor. What he could be - a 25-30G, 35-45A Selke caliber center is not a middle six player. It's basically a rich man's Draisaitl/Scheifele.

What we are comparing for Janko V Parsons:
Floors:
Sean Couturier / Joni Ortio
Ceilings:
Anze Kopitar / Jonathan Quick

I get why people underrate Janko's ceiling though. The best winger he has ever had was a rookie Mangiapane. People can't even imagine how much better he would look with a Hall / Gaudreau / Wheeler / Tkachuk / Monahan / Lucic type talent riding shotgun.

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
> voting for Adam Ollas Mattson over ANY of Andersson, Jankowski, Parsons, Dube, Fox, Gillies...

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.png

Also lol @ "Hunter Smuth"

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Kylington for me though it is close. He's always played up relative to his peers and even though he does have some definite issues in his game, he has still succeeded overall. One more year in the A and he should be ready to... oh **** there's no spots available on defense.

So he'll probably rot in Stockton until he hits waivers in 3 years then.

Jankowski, Valimaki, Parsons, and Fox round out the top 5.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I ended up going with the player that I think has the highest potential after I couldn't decide between Jankowski or Parsons. Ended up going with Parsons, but honestly I'm still divided.

@McDaigle I'm not sure there is a single thing I agree with in your entire post.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Kylington for me though it is close. He's always played up relative to his peers and even though he does have some definite issues in his game, he has still succeeded overall. One more year in the A and he should be ready to... oh **** there's no spots available on defense.

So he'll probably rot in Stockton until he hits waivers in 3 years then.

Jankowski, Valimaki, Parsons, and Fox round out the top 5.

Well, unless Treliving brings in another aimless vet, all Kylington has to do is beat out Kulak/Wotherspoon (assuming Valimaki starts in the AHL) for that #6th spot in 2018/2019 and that shouldn't be horribly difficult. Even this year, a really good camp might push him to the front of the line.

Andersson though, the only NHL games he's getting for the next couple of seasons will be because of injuries to Stone/Hamonic/Hamilton. Would have to imagine it's demoralizing, although the fact that he's the only right handed defenseman in the minors mitigates things a little.

Here's what Treliving said about Kylington a few days ago:
"I think he's taken significant strides forward," said general manager Brad Treliving in his post-camp address.

But then he added a qualifier to Kylington's situation.

"Under normal circumstances, he would be playing in the Canadian Hockey League. And here's a guy at 18 and 19, who has two years of American Hockey League. You can see where he's matured."
"You see, even in scrimmages like today, what could be greatness. Then you see the ones where you want to grab him by the scruff of the collar," said Treliving.
"You have to pause every now and then and say there's not too many 18 and 19-year-olds that go right into the American Hockey League and do as well as he's done," said Treliving.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Between Andersson, Jankowski and Parsons for me.
Parsons has the best boom of all the players. We're talking about a guy who might end up being one of the best league wide if things continue to progress as they are. Andersson and Jankowski are safe picks to be regular NHL'ers; both have some good upside too.

I think Andersson has the better chance at being a top pairing guy than Jankowski has at being a top line C; so went with Rasmus.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I get why people underrate Janko's ceiling though. The best winger he has ever had was a rookie Mangiapane. People can't even imagine how much better he would look with a Hall / Gaudreau / Wheeler / Tkachuk / Monahan / Lucic type talent riding shotgun.

In the... AHL?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Projecting goalies is damn near impossible. So this was a pretty easy vote for Janko for me

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Between Andersson, Jankowski and Parsons for me.
Parsons has the best boom of all the players. We're talking about a guy who might end up being one of the best league wide if things continue to progress as they are. Andersson and Jankowski are safe picks to be regular NHL'ers; both have some good upside too.

I think Andersson has the better chance at being a top pairing guy than Jankowski has at being a top line C; so went with Rasmus.

Totally agree with your analysis. Parsons is a goalie, and goalies are voodoo. As impressive as he is I would keep one of Andersson or Jankowski over him, right now. If he had a pro season under his belt I might feel differently.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Well, unless Treliving brings in another aimless vet, all Kylington has to do is beat out Kulak/Wotherspoon (assuming Valimaki starts in the AHL) for that #6th spot in 2018/2019 and that shouldn't be horribly difficult. Even this year, a really good camp might push him to the front of the line.

Andersson though, the only NHL games he's getting for the next couple of seasons will be because of injuries to Stone/Hamonic/Hamilton. Would have to imagine it's demoralizing, although the fact that he's the only right handed defenseman in the minors mitigates things a little.

Here's what Treliving said about Kylington a few days ago:

Kylington was a third pairing D at the end of the season in the AHL. One camp won't earn him a spot on this team.. The way that practically all NHL teams use some version of the trap when they don't have the puck, turnovers are what kills you. He needs to show a complete change in the way he holds the puck. Use his skillset but play the game like Valimaki and Andersson. Don't be afraid to make the simple play. Hockey is the ultimate team game and Oliver isn't a team player yet.

He's a terrific talent but until he stops consistently making bonehead plays he's not going to make the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad